Salt Walther

I guess I'll never forget that wreck at Indy. I can still see his car cut in two with his legs hanging out, spinning with the ****pit. Never really cared for Salt, always thought he bought his way into most of the races.

That was a horrible wreck --- I think it was the first really bad wreck I'd ever seen.
The car that Salt hit in that crash was driven by Jerry Grant. Jerry, frequently use to stop by the hot rod shop that I hangout at here in Southern Ca and we would all go to lunch together. It was a blast listening to all his stories about being on the road with all the great drivers, like when he roomed with A.J Foyte for a year. The last time that I talked to Jerry was about a month before he was admitted to the hospital and died earlier this year. I really miss listening to his stories.

The 1973 500 was horrific. RIP

He never belonged in a race car

He had his struggles for sure, and talent wise he was far short of the greats.

But at least he had the dreamed and tried, imo he deserves a measure of respect in spite of the flaws that were
open knowledge. For what t is worth he qualified for his starting grid spots when making the field was an accomplishment in front of 300,000 people in each of his 500s.
He was injured in 73, and didnt quit, in era were the cars were a deadly beast.

I would rather remember the positives, which maybe selfish one day I will die and I wouldn't want to be judged so harshly myself.

Back
Top Bottom