Sam

W

wlfyk62

More on Horish and NASCAR - Pretty Fast Dude UPDATE leaving Panther Racing: IRL driver, Sam Hornish Jr., who broke the record for the fastest IRL race at Kentucky Speedway on Sunday [197.897mph], is in the last year of his contract with Pennzoil Panther Racing. He has publicly discussed everything from moving to another Indy Racing League team that can boost his salary to defecting to NASCAR. Hornish, who is meeting with Panther officials this afternoon in Indianapolis, said yesterday that staying with his current team is one of his top choices. The 24-year-old is playing his decision-making close to the fire suit. He seems to wrestle with himself out loud when asked about his future. "On the other hand," he said after saying Panther is a top candidate, "I could've stayed in go-karts until I was 50 and won a lot of races, but is that what's going to make you the happiest?" He said his fans are split on what they want him to do. He said he only knows that he wants to be a racing legend. "Someday you hope to be a legend," Hornish said. "And you hope to associate yourself however you can to be able to put yourself there." When asked later about his other goals, he said: "Winning the Indy 500 is the top of my list," adding that he will definitely be at the race next year.(Lexington Herald-Leader)(8-18-2003)
UPDATE: Two-time defending IRL champion Sam Hornish Jr. is moving on. Just where remains to be seen. Hornish, 24, told Panther Racing officials today that he will leave them when his 3-year contract expires at season's end. He did not say if his new team will be in the IRL or NASCAR, or both, which now appears to be the most likely scenario given his admitted interest in competing in the Daytona 500. "The opportunities I've been given are too good," he said. Hornish, who won his record-breaking ninth IRL race Sunday at Kentucky Speedway, said money was not a factor in his decision to leave Panther. In fact, team co-owner John Barnes said he was not allowed to make a contract offer even though he expects to have a partnership with Winston Cup team owner Richard Childress next season. Hornish said he is ready for a new challenge. "I've done the best I could with that (Panther) car," he said. "You start off as an amateur, you move to a race winner, you move to a champion and someday you hope to become a legend." Barnes said Panther will not rush the search for a replacement.(Indianapolis Star)(8-18-2003)

Back
Top Bottom