Say goodbye to Mikey

One of the best NASCAR brother combo's of all times. Between he and DW they amassed 88 Cup wins and won 3 Cup Championships.

raw
Kinda like the stats Wayne Gretzky and his brother put up?

look the guy does have some NXS wins that were not on plate tracks. For mikey he had to make it in the sport using things other than his pure talent. He did manage to have a long career because of it. some may not like his style thats ok. it worked for him.

I will have to admit.... that was one of ...... if not the most.... worst crashes I have seen.... for someonme to walk away unscathed..... Darrel was petrified....I can understand his fear..... I just knew Mikey was dead...... Some years later a driver hit the same abuttment.... Mike.... (his name escapes me).... almost identical...... that entrance gate was a disaster waiting to happen anyway.... it should not have been there in the first place...

I will have to admit.... that was one of ...... if not the most.... worst crashes I have seen.... for someonme to walk away unscathed..... Darrel was petrified....I can understand his fear..... I just knew Mikey was dead...... Some years later a driver hit the same abuttment.... Mike.... (his name escapes me).... almost identical...... that entrance gate was a disaster waiting to happen anyway.... it should not have been there in the first place...

Mike Harmon

I never understood the Mikey hate. I'm over spin-gate and I wasn't a fan of MWR. But he's a great ambassador of the sport, he's a good marketer, and he seems like a good person.

As far as cheating goes, newsflash, motorsports are all about seeing how much you can get away with. All of your favorite teams have "cheated" sometimes. Richard Petty cheated his way through an illustrious career and we call him The King, but Mikey tries to get a leg up and we talk **** about him. Sure...

My issue I have with Mikey is him as a broadcaster, I dont hate him, and I respect his love for NASCAR .

Yeah....... and 2 decades ago the safety equipment in the cars was nothing like it is now...... basically... the Good Lord was looking after him.......

It was definitely more dangerous, and like him or not Michael Waltrip raced most of his career during that era. Only noting due to what many have suggested over the years (myself included) that MW was or is delicate.
He even ran marathons, and probably is a lot more rugged than most folks want to admit.

Snap: He just didnt carry himself like a bad ass in the booth. He is tall and definitely not slight, maybe it was just a mixture of the gentle giant thing, mixed with chronic clowning once he was given a mic.

My favorite MW announcer memory was the time he took Steve Byrnes son around to greet the drivers at the All Star race. The youngster had lost his dad a month prior, maybe I read to much into it, but I think MW was unselfishly to trying to honour Steve Byrnes at the time. A very decent moment imo.

I dunno I am starting to confuse myself....

The broadcaster that irritates me the most is Chris Meyers. Just something about his voice. He needs to stick to football.

The broadcaster that irritates me the most is Chris Meyers. Just something about his voice. He needs to stick to football.
Poor man had to be the straight man for Mickey, that is earning a pay check in itself.
At least he didn't try to hype everything like Rick Allen. Rick would try to turn a discreet fart
into a hurricane.

I never understood the Mikey hate. I'm over spin-gate and I wasn't a fan of MWR. But he's a great ambassador of the sport, he's a good marketer, and he seems like a good person.

As far as cheating goes, newsflash, motorsports are all about seeing how much you can get away with. All of your favorite teams have "cheated" sometimes. Richard Petty cheated his way through an illustrious career and we call him The King, but Mikey tries to get a leg up and we talk sh!t about him. Sure...

The cheating never involved having a driver fake a spin before. Cheating with the mechanics of a car is one thing, getting a driver to help manipulate the outcome of a race, is quite another.

The cheating never involved having a driver fake a spin before. Cheating with the mechanics of a car is one thing, getting a driver to help manipulate the outcome of a race, is quite another.
That episode was minor compared to the team getting caught juicing the gas at their first D500. Nothing like starting the season a couple of dozen points in the hole.

Uhmm, even Dale Jr got in trouble for a lazy spin I believe at Bristol roughly in 2004 with the intention of bringing out a yellow. Drivers throw bottles and pieces of rollbar paddiblng out the window all the time to get a yellow. On the local short track level guys who spin and can get rolling again will just stop on track to get a caution. It's nothing new.

Uhmm, even Dale Jr got in trouble for a lazy spin I believe at Bristol roughly in 2004 with the intention of bringing out a yellow. Drivers throw bottles and pieces of rollbar paddiblng out the window all the time to get a yellow. On the local short track level guys who spin and can get rolling again will just stop on track to get a caution. It's nothing new.
As I recall, Jr. made the mistake of announcing he was going to do it on the radio.

Doesn't matter Charlie it just shows that many do it in different ways and so what MWR did was only called so Brian could get Jeff into the chase.

As I recall, Jr. made the mistake of announcing he was going to do it on the radio.
It was entertaining. My wife and I were there, listening to his scanner feed. He announced it after the fact. I think he was asking his crew chief how he rated the move. It was a funny moment but my wife and I looked at each other like, Did he really just say that?

:tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:

I suspect no driver in any series likes having a microphone and camera stuffed in his or her face by anyone in those last minutes before the start, when he's trying to get his head in the zone.

I suspect no driver in any series likes having a microphone and camera stuffed in his or her face by anyone in those last minutes before the start, when he's trying to get his head in the zone.
I always wondered that when Ol' DW calls down from the booth to talk to a driver under caution. Most times they don't seem all that excited about talking. And..... that's exactly what they plan on doing during these new segment breaks, or whatever they're called. They plan on doing in-car interviews.

As far as Mikey goes, I think, but I could certainly be wrong, doesn't he do all of those pre-race interviews before the National Anthem? Drivers are swamped by people leading up to that point. I'm not sure Mikey is a huge concern.

I always wondered that when Ol' DW calls down from the booth to talk to a driver under caution. Most times they don't seem all that excited about talking. And..... that's exactly what they plan on doing during these new segment breaks, or whatever they're called. They plan on doing in-car interviews.

As far as Mikey goes, I think, but I could certainly be wrong, doesn't he do all of those pre-race interviews before the National Anthem? Drivers are swamped by people leading up to that point. I'm not sure Mikey is a huge concern.
You are correct I do believe, and that is sort of the only time he can do his walk, as I think just moments after the Anthem, drivers are getting the their cars and NASCAR is clearing pit road.

Back
Top Bottom