'Seinfeld' named funniest sitcom ever

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
So what's your pick? Of the ones that I see mentioned below, I'd choose Seinfeld. If I were stuck in TV sitcom hell and could only have one comedy to choose from to watch, it'd be Seinfeld.

“Seinfeld” was voted the nation’s funniest sitcom of all time, edging out the 1950s black-and-white classic “The Honeymooners,” according to survey results published yesterday, the New York Post reports.

The long-running NBC hit series “Seinfeld” — self-described as being “about nothing” — picked up 22 percent of respondents’ votes in the poll commissioned by “60 Minutes” and Vanity Fair magazine.

Close behind was Jackie Gleason’s “The Honeymooners,” with 20 percent, “Friends,” at 16 percent, and “Cheers,” at 14 percent.

Fox’s critically acclaimed “Arrested Development” garnered 7 percent, and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” scored 6 percent.

The most popular current show — “30 Rock,” featuring “Saturday Night Live” alum Tina Fey — picked up 5 percent.

“Seinfeld,” the comedy brainchild of funny men Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David, produced 180 episodes between 1989 and 1998.

From here.

I still love Seinfeld, and always will. Almost every single situation in life can be comically compared to something that happened in Seinfeld. I'm serious.

But I do love Big Bang.

Seinfeld was ok, but after the first season or so it was just kinda the same dumbass joke over and over again. As far as newer sitcoms go, I'd have to say I found Friends quite a bit funnier and That 70's Show was much funnier than either one of them to me. The Big Bang Theory is pretty funny too.

Overall though, I'd have to say that I find many other shows funnier than pretty much anything on the list they gave. All In The Family, Welcome Back Kotter and several shows of that era were always the funniest to me.

Then again, there is my favorite show of all time, WKRP in Cincinnati. That show just kept me laughing for years, even in reruns. Highly underrated in my humble opinion.

I like many comedies of years gone by and only a few that are currently on but I don't think any generated as much talk or had the appeal to as large of an audience as Seinfeld did and I think that's reflected in this recent poll that they did. As much as I like Big Bang Theory I just don't hear people talking about it around the so called water cooler. That could just be where I work and the people that I hang out with IDK.

I like many comedies of years gone by and only a few that are currently on but I don't think any generated as much talk or had the appeal to as large of an audience as Seinfeld did and I think that's reflected in this recent poll that they did. As much as I like Big Bang Theory I just don't hear people talking about it around the so called water cooler. That could just be where I work and the people that I hang out with IDK.
I understand that completely. Seinfeld made people feel kind of "hip by association" when they watched it. Home Improvement was much funnier, in my mind, but while many guys loved the show, it was really geared much more toward families than Seinfeld was.

I understand that completely. Seinfeld made people feel kind of "hip by association" when they watched it. Home Improvement was much funnier, in my mind, but while many guys loved the show, it was really geared much more toward families than Seinfeld was.
Really? That's why I like the show? Wow, didn't know that about myself, thanks for your analysis, doc. :rolleyes:

Never really a Seinfeld person, but then again I wasn't very old when it was on the air.

Oh, I also forgot to add: This is the reason people by iPhones. ;)

I loved Jackie Gleason. WKRP usually had me howling.
I hate to admit it, Seinfield never did a thing for me. I watched it, but after a few shows, I quit. Just never tickled my funny bone.

As much as I love the show when Amy comes on I wanna turn the tv off. She's like the Scrappy Doo of the The Big Bang Theory.

As much as I love the show when Amy comes on I wanna turn the tv off. She's like the Scrappy Doo of the The Big Bang Theory.

I like Amy Farrah Fowler! It cracked me up how she was Sheldon's "girlfriend" but had the barely covert hots for Penny, and now she's hot for any action from Sheldon. Last night's episode where she was "sick" was hilarious. Oh, and getting spanked at the end of the show? :XXROFL:

I like Amy Farrah Fowler! It cracked me up how she was Sheldon's "girlfriend" but had the barely covert hots for Penny, and now she's hot for any action from Sheldon. Last night's episode where she was "sick" was hilarious. Oh, and getting spanked at the end of the show? :XXROFL:

I bet you hated that awful Priya girl. She was so annoying I was thrilled when they wrote her out of the show.

Big Bang gets us roaring. With us it is the fact my wife worked for the Dean and dealt with Ph.d types daily. I've been dragged to various functions and met a lot of them. We see different people we know in the characters. But they are brillant, brillant people whose brains function on a completely different level solving complex issues yet there are everyday issues that baffles them.

Seinfeld was my favorite sitcom.
Kramer's body language. The hair style. His use and language expression. A one of a kind quirkiness that will never be matched.
He will take a handicap parking space, pee in a parking garage, he will even hire a hitman to knock off a dog.
He has no tact or couth and will tell an insecure girl she needs a nose job.
He recreated his living rooom with furniture from the Merv Griffin show and subjected his guest to the Griffin style interviews. He created the 'manssiere".
Enters his rooster "little Jerry" into **** fighting.

George Costanza, aka Art Vandelay, Buck Naked: the impersonating marine biologist that actually saved a beached whale and still lost the girl. A hand model , architect, hired by Steinbrenner for tearing him apart over ruining the Yankees. An importer/exporter extraordinar.

George lost an almost sure thing weekend date after she saw him nude and found him lacking(shrinkage).
During another date a household fire stated and George knocked elderly women and children down in order to insure he escaped first. Finally she dumped him after she caught him eating a discarded chocolate from the trash can.
On and on nobody knew how to lose better than Costanza.

Who can forget the soup nazi.

Or Elaine a beauty while being one of the boys. Can you spare a square? Or sponge worthy?
The characters were great and unpredictableable.

Seinfeld was my favorite sitcom.
Kramer's body language. The hair style. His use and language expression. A one of a kind quirkiness that will never be matched.
He will take a handicap parking space, pee in a parking garage, he will even hire a hitman to knock off a dog.
He has no tact or couth and will tell an insecure girl she needs a nose job.
He recreated his living rooom with furniture from the Merv Griffin show and subjected his guest to the Griffin style interviews. He created the 'manssiere".
Enters his rooster "little Jerry" into **** fighting.

George Costanza, aka Art Vandelay, Buck Naked: the impersonating marine biologist that actually saved a beached whale and still lost the girl. A hand model , architect, hired by Steinbrenner for tearing him apart over ruining the Yankees. An importer/exporter extraordinar.

George lost an almost sure thing weekend date after she saw him nude and found him lacking(shrinkage).
During another date a household fire stated and George knocked elderly women and children down in order to insure he escaped first. Finally she dumped him after she caught him eating a discarded chocolate from the trash can.
On and on nobody knew how to lose better than Costanza.

Who can forget the soup nazi.

Or Elaine a beauty while being one of the boys. Can you spare a square? Or sponge worthy?
The characters were great and unpredictableable.

Cant believe I forgot the bet. The one were they betted $ 100 on who could hold out the longest.

When George goes to see his mom in the hospital, through the curtain he could see the silhouetted nurse sponge bathing the other. George is mesmerized, but he cant concentrate his mom is shrieking, get me food from the cafeteria now, they will close in any minute. More flesh crawling screaming from Mom.

George cant watch the show, a cruel fate, or just another day for Coztanza.

Cant believe I forgot the bet. The one were they betted $ 100 on who could hold out the longest.

When George goes to see his mom in the hospital, through the curtain he could see the silhouetted nurse sponge bathing the other. George is mesmerized, but he cant concentrate his mom is shrieking, get me food from the cafeteria now, they will close in any minute. More flesh crawling screaming from Mom.

But, as we all find out later, George cheated :p

Or the one where the girl walked in and seen George naked after being in the pool and they have to explain what cold water does to a "man".

Or the one where the girl walked in and seen George naked after being in the pool and they have to explain what cold water does to a "man".
And the follow-on conversation with Elaine. "it shrinks? I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."

Not a fan of Seinfeld at all or any other "scripted" humor sticom. I don't like anything with a recorded laughtrack.
Of the ones listed, I'd have to say I enjoy The Honeymooners the best. I have every single one on DVD (and not a single Seinfeld.)

Back
Top Bottom