Self driving car kills Arizona Woman

RIP Elaine. Just trying to cross the road. Sure, it could have been a person behind the wheel that hit her but it wasn't. I don't understand the need for this technology. Self driving cars scare the hell out of me. Chalking this up to yet another reason why.

RIP Elaine. Just trying to cross the road. Sure, it could have been a person behind the wheel that hit her but it wasn't. I don't understand the need for this technology. Self driving cars scare the hell out of me. Chalking this up to yet another reason why.

There was a person behind the wheel

There was a person behind the wheel
A seat warmer yes. They said the car was in the autonomous mode, driving itself. Who knows what the idiot behind the wheel was doing? I can only guess that the seat warmer is not giving it his/her all when it comes to being what is basically a passenger in a self driving car. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I just find the idea behind this to be ridiculous at best. The fact that you even have to have a person behind the wheel only magnifies that.

A seat warmer yes. They said the car was in the autonomous mode, driving itself. Who knows what the idiot behind the wheel was doing? I can only guess that the seat warmer is not giving it his/her all when it comes to being what is basically a passenger in a self driving car. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I just find the idea behind this to be ridiculous at best. The fact that you even have to have a person behind the wheel only magnifies that.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I fully agree with you on the self driving cars. Arizona has a serious problem with pedestrian deaths anyway ..... I believe that we rank the highest or very near the highest in the nation.
The idea of mixing idiot drivers, idiot pedestrians and self driving cars on the same road is the stuff that nightmares are made of. What do you figure that a self driving car will do when its hit with a blinding dust storm ?

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I fully agree with you on the self driving cars. Arizona has a serious problem with pedestrian deaths anyway ..... I believe that we rank the highest or very near the highest in the nation.
The idea of mixing idiot drivers, idiot pedestrians and self driving cars on the same road is the stuff that nightmares are made of. What do you figure that a self driving car will do when its hit with a blinding dust storm ?
I don't want to even venture a guess. They're unpredictable enough as it is.

Someone will soon chime in that people aren't any better @ driving. That could certainly be true but why add another variable to the mix?

What if someone decides to hack into one of these updates that gets pushed out to the fleet of self driving cars? It's possible that something like that could happen. The cons outweigh any pros that I can think of when it comes to this technology IMO.

I don't want to even venture a guess. They're unpredictable enough as it is.

Someone will soon chime in that people aren't any better @ driving. That could certainly be true but why add another variable to the mix?

What if someone decides to hack into one of these updates that gets pushed out to the fleet of self driving cars? It's possible that something like that could happen. The cons outweigh any pros that I can think of when it comes to this technology IMO.

The human brain is still the king of the road . faults and all.

When a strong enough force wants to impose their will on others, it gets pretty insane. The driver wasn't looking, and more importantly the car didn't detect the pedestrian.

Self driving cars..... a flawed concept. Produced only because we can. There’s no actual need for the idea to have ever been placed in practice. Time to put the toys away.

What I noticed in the video is that the woman and bike were not illuminated sufficiently ahead for the car's systems to acknowledge her presence. With that said, the heat detection and radar should have detected her, even if the optics did not.

That's what I saw, too, Mag. At 40 mph, it would be hard for a human to react and miss the woman. I think she still would
have been hit.
What I really want to know, is what was the person IN the car looking at when looking down all that time.

A coworker has a new Honda CRV and he met a bicyclist in his lane and he pulled into the other lane to give the cyclists some room.The lane keep assist pulled him back into his lane,it scared the crap out of him.He drives with all the safety systems cut off now.

A person driving 40mph is covering about 58 ft/second. A car's low beam headlights are to be adjusted to a range of 160ft. High beams 300-500 ft. Had the person actually been paying attention to WTH they were supposed to be doing, and reacted, she wouldn't have been hit.. Bottom line..... A person should be able to avoid and object at that rate of speed if they are paying attention. Not only should the self driving car not have been on the road, that driver should not have been behind the wheel.

A coworker has a new Honda CRV and he met a bicyclist in his lane and he pulled into the other lane to give the cyclists some room.The lane keep assist pulled him back into his lane,it scared the crap out of him.He drives with all the safety systems cut off now.
That's a scary thought.

I think it would be easier to lock out Cell Phone texting when the GPS shows the phone is moving faster then 10MPH.

Still seems to me, even though she was not illuminated, the onboard radar and heat detecting cameras should have seen her physical and heat signatures and knew it was approaching *something*

Back
Top Bottom