Setting the stage: Racing renewed under new format

Stage Racing Continues to Enhance Competition

Stage racing has ushered in a new era of competition in NASCAR.

It’s no longer just about making it from the green to checkered flag. The focus is now on how a team gets there, and that has created even more captivating racing through the first 17 races of the season.

Race strategy has been redefined as drivers and teams balance putting themselves in position for the win while battling for the championship and playoff points awarded following the first two stages.

Teams are approaching the races in new ways as the most prevalent goal has shifted from positioning themselves towards the lead for the end of the race to competing up front for the entire distance.

Martin Truex Jr. has mastered this approach. He often dominated events in recent seasons but fell short of victory by the finish, leading the most laps in seven races between 2015 and 2016 that he ended up losing.

The Furniture Row Racing driver has again excelled in multiple events that he didn’t win this year, but stage racing influences the outcome as those runs are now rewarded with points during the race in addition to the post-race payout.

He has accumulated 11 stage victories, nearly triple the amount of his closest challenger, Kyle Busch with four.

Playoff points may be the most underrated advantage as part of stage racing. These points will be added to a driver’s points total to begin each round of the post-season except for the season finale.

http://www.popularspeed.com/stage-racing-continues-to-enhance-competition/

I don't pay attention to the championship so the stages are just artificial stoppages to me. However if a person did feel the way Nascar crowns a champion is good I could see where the stages would be important to them.

:rolleyes: It has reached that point with me. I do not have a clue how all these playoff points will work. I'm not sure the drivers know either, but if they can get some they will. I believe we will have charts, tickers, flowcharts, you name it when the season winds down and almost everybody won't have a clue what is going on. I'm good. :dunce::Do_O

Significant changes in NASCAR are often met with skepticism by fans, and this format has been no different. However, by simply sitting back and enjoying the racing, those questioning the new style of racing can see that it’s more exciting than ever before and has enhanced the sport in numerous ways.

I catch a round or two of golf many weekends. I looked once to see how their standings are computed, how their 'playoff' works, etc. I found it too confusing, decided I didn't care, and would just enjoy watching individual tournaments with no regard to their impacts on the big picture.

I don't watch many sports on a regular basis. However, I often enjoy looking at a individual game, with no previous knowledge of the teams' records or players, just to watch them play. It's only a game, just a form of entertainment.

I catch a round or two of golf many weekends. I looked once to see how their standings are computed, how their 'playoff' works, etc. I found it too confusing, decided I didn't care, and would just enjoy watching individual tournaments with no regard to their impacts on the big picture.

I don't watch many sports on a regular basis. However, I often enjoy looking at a individual game, with no previous knowledge of the teams' records or players, just to watch them play. It's only a game, just a form of entertainment.

I think it is messed up awarding points to drivers at different stages as it sounds more like something that happens in video games. I would be livid if the NHL or NFL decided to award points at various stages of the game as nothing should be awarded until the game is over.

Instead of having stages Nascar should either just shorten the races or hold 2 races and if drivers want to try and go to the front that is fine and if others would rather lollygag until go time that is OK too.

The above represents my opinion and I am aware that others feel differently and I am just peachy with it.

I actually think the stages are good. The only thing I would change is that the caution at the end of each stage is just a break between stages. Laps shouldn't count, and the next stage should start in the exact order the previous one ended. Let the pit strategy play out during the segments, not in between.

The stages are OK and I know they've improved the race itself but it's too confusing to follow unless your a hardcore race fan that goes to Racing-Reference to check stats for standings.

Back
Top Bottom