Shellfish Boil

H

HardScrabble

abooja had a pic of her seafood boil a few weeks back and it made me hungry for one of my own. The following is the recipe I been using for a long time, makes a real good and fun meal for group!:) Sometimes the group is just me and the wife in which case I cut the recipe in half.

Shellfish Boil

½ cup mustard seeds
6 Tbsp coriander seeds
¼ cup whole allspice
¼ cup dill seeds
2 tsp whole cloves
12 small dried red chilies
16 bay leaves
8 quarts water
12 small new potatoes, scrubbed
2 large onions, unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
2 lemons, halved
1 ¼ cups plus 1 Tbsp salt
¼ cup plus 1 tbsp cayenne
1 large head garlic, cut in half crosswise
1 pound andouille sausage, cut in 1 inch pieces
4 ears fresh corn, shucked and cut into thirds
2 pounds crawfish
5 pounds crabs, Dungeness, blue, stone, king or snow
2 (1 pound each) lobsters
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 dozen clams, littleneck, steamer, razor, or Manila
1 cup melted butter, warm
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley

Place the first seven ingredients in cheesecloth and tie with butchers twine. Put the seasoning bag, water, potatoes, onions, lemons, 1 ¼ cups salt, ¼ cup cayenne, and garlic in a large stockpot. LARGE stockpot, I use a 22 quart one. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and boil for 15 minutes. Add the sausage, corn, crawfish, lobster, and crabs. Using a long handled spoon, stir around and press the contents of the pot down well into the water. Cover the pot and return to a boil. Boil for two minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon cayenne. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and clams. Return to the heat and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Drain. Turn the shellfish boil onto newspaper. Serve with melted butter, and garnish with parsley. ( I usually ignore the garnish stuff)

Serves 4 to 6 people usually, though I have seen 3 people do serious damage to a batch.

Alright, Hardscrabble! Sounds good, and similar to my recipe, except I didn't class it up with lobster. Nice touch. :thumbsup:

Actually, I used an Emeril Lagasse recipe and, can you believe, he says to use packaged crab boil -- both the liquid and dry kinds?! I couldn't, for the life of me, find any liquid here in NYC, so I only used two different kinds of the powdered stuff. One of them had a lot of the spices you mention. I'm willing to bet some money, though, that your version tastes a whole lot better. :)

2 pounds of crawfish:( That's not enough to fool with.
BooBoo I use Zatarain's crab boil (powder). I don't know if they have a web site, but they do know what they are doing.

Emeril has a recipe with packaged boils...that kinda surprises me. Some of them may be very good, but it would take some experimenting to find which ones. Glad you found a good one. The seasonings in this recipe give a great taste, but it is a mite pricey by the time you put all this stuff together.

After years of tinkering I found that for fish frying the "Golden Dipt" batters and coatings are better than anything I've ever been able to make. The brand was once sold exclusively to restaurants but is now available to the public and can be purchased at most grocery stores. All packaged stuff is not automatically inferior.:)

Oh, really...you like Golden Dipt, HS? Interesting...

Never tried it, but I've seen it on the shelves. Is it a batter (I think it is), or a cornmeal mixture, or something else? I like cornmeal, but if you recommend it, it's got to be good. :)

They have several different ones. Some are batters and some are dry coatings.

They have a "southern" mix which is cornmeal based, just toss it into a paper bag, dip the fish (catfish for me) in milk or egg and milk, toss the fish in the bag and shake.

Another is the "Fish Fry" mix, which is the same as above but not cornmeal based.

They have a "beer batter" and a "fish and chips" batter also.

Good as anything I ever came up with, but someone may have a recipe that is better. Hope someone will post one.!:)

By the way Tabasco, for all intents you can throw 10 pounds of any combination of shellfish into the above recipe and it will come out great. This combo just seems to give all the folks a good share of their particular favorite.

Golden Dipt owned by Kerry Ingrediants.They are one of my customers Scarbble,Abooja keep using that stuff,I ship about 20 truckloads a week to differant areas of the country.Including Brooklyn,and the Bronx Abooja.:)

Why doncha have one of your rigs vectored down my street pb?

See there boohey could accidently let a case slip out the back to replenish my larder!:)

See there boo, keep munchin'. pb will deliver more!;)

Hey, Pbunch: You're going to make a special pitstop in NYC to deliver some breading to me? Cool!

Maybe you can help me drive home this Kingsford Charcoal hood (purchased on eBay) that's been the talk of the office for the past few weeks. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll be walking it home by subway! ;)

Sometimes if a case is damaged they give it to us,But by the time I see the driver not much left.We haul bulk 100 lb.bags to people like KFC,Long johns,and many other places that bread. :)

Hold on a second here...are you saying that KFC uses Golden Dipt batter? For their fried chicken?!! An amazing revelation, it that's true. :)

Its true Abooja all the secret herbs,and spices are in a lab in Evansville Ind.They have a full time guard at that door to the lab.I had to go down for a sales meeting,and they showed me around the plant.They have a lot of secrets in there for big companys like Tyson,Gordons,Shoneys big boys to name a few.The Golden Dipt Brand was invented in Millstadt Ill.They now have plants in Chicago.Ponchatoula,La.Evansville Ind.Covington Ky.Hampton NH.:)

Hmmm...interested in helping me hatch a plan to knock out that guard, break into the lab, and steal the secret recipes of many of the nation's fast food restaurant chains?!!! Might be worth some jailtime... :p ;)

Good way to get deep fried for sure Abooja Wooja.:p i always wondered,Do they kill little baby chickens to get those Buffalo Wings,or are they just chickens that are midgets.:p

Back
Top Bottom