Short-Tracks Or Super-Speedways???

F

Flipper

Seems another thread got to debating which was more exciting racing, short-tracks or super speedways. Which do you think is more exciting....and why? Some say that short-tracks is where the action is, others say tracks like Martinsville are boring. Personally, I could, and often do snooze through the "cloned" tracks, but find places like Richmond and Martinsville exciting!!! There needs to be more races at places like M-Ville, Bristol, and North Wilkesboro! Your opinions?

Flip, glad you asked! :) About the only time I get really bored is when the racing is single file, follow the leader with little or no passing until the race is nearly over. Whether its a super duper speedway like Taladega or Daytona, I don't like single file-follow the leader racing. You won't see that at any short track for many reason so for me, the short tracks are always exciting. Many of the mile and a halfers just don't afford much passing, so it's follow the leader type of racing. Boring to say the least, but if there's a caution near the end, causing a side by side start, that can get exciting.

Dega and Tona have been lately some of the most exciting races of the season, simply because of the shear closeness of the racing. Three and four abreast at nearly 200 miles an hour has to have the fan sitting on the edge of their seat, waiting for someone to make that dreaded mistake and hoping they don't. Anticipation can really get you going.

Well Flipper, I prefer the short tracks (was raised not too far from some older dirty tracks in N.E.) and really wish there were more ROAD COURSES. Dega and Tona keep me on the edge, but only because I keep praying nobody gets hurt in the almost inevitable "BIG ONE".

the so called cookie cutter tracks are only boreing if there is a cookie cutter race.

I JUST LOVE NASCAR!

P.S. are you a Dolphins fan?

Flip a Dolphin fan! :ROFLMFAO: I've known Flip for a very long time and one thing I can assure you is he probably doesn't even know what a dolphin is! :ROFLMFAO: He once tried to throw me in jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor by impersonating a judge. :ROFLMFAO: :ROFLMFAO:

Short tracks are where you will find the best type of racing. I love close bumper-to-bumper, side-by-side action. You just can't find that at superspeedways anymore. You watch lines of cars race around the track, barely able to race in more than one groove. And nobody can bump other cars at a superspeedway without causing a dangerous wreck, where at short tracks you can do much more bumping and banging. I like watching superspeedway events, but they have nothing on the short track races.

Originally posted by buckaroo
Flip a Dolphin fan!  :ROFLMFAO:  I've known Flip for a very long time and one thing I can assure you is he probably doesn't even know what a dolphin is! :ROFLMFAO:  He once tried to throw me in jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor by impersonating a judge. :ROFLMFAO: :ROFLMFAO:

:xxrotf: PURRR

Kat, me a Dolphin fan?? Well, the only salt water fishing I do is for flounder! I did like the old TV show starring Flipper though! :rolleyes: Somehow I get the feeling thats not what you meant!:eek: I guess you are asking about my Feetsball affiliation. Not into that sport at all.

DuPep_24, I would argue that with the speeds they reach at superspeedways, they are much more dangerous. And although each superspeedway racetrack is not the same, the type of racing is. Single file lines racing around a track is not what I call racing.

Guess I'm going to weigh in. Hard for me to say which I like better.......both have their pluses and minuses. Short tracks have a lot of tight racing with lots of bumping and shoving with some wall slapping thrown in for good measure......that's always fun to watch. But, on the minus side. Sometimes the races go green for almost full tire or fuel runs and then you get green flag pit stops.........and if the caution comes out before everyone gets a chance to pit, you wind up with the back markers running up front. The truly best cars are a lap down. But, that's racing.:)

The super speedway races are a completely different animal. Many say it's just follow the leader (which, happens). But, the racing is staying in contention and pouncing when the opportunity arises.......that, to me is fun to watch. Also green flag pit stops can make or break a run for the win. Tire management, fuel economy.......all play a huge part of winning. So I wouldn't call super speedway racing boring......it's just different. Minus side: The wrecks are usually race ending for all involved.

We forgot one other type of racing.....road courses. I'm not much of a road course fan. But, I watch and enjoy them anyway. It's all different styles of racing......guess I like them all. If NASCAR would get rid of any race tracks and go for another I think the sport would, then, get boring. I don't snooze at any of them>:D

Originally posted by DuPep_24
But you forget that at Short-Tracks they are they get bunched up in the turns. With 40 or more cars on the same track...that is an accident waiting to happen. The Speedways and SuperSpeedways are much safer.

Have you ever seen a 40-car pileup at Bristol where you were worried about drivers lives?

Speedways and Superspeedways are safer? Wake up dude.

Hi Flip! Personally, I like the super speedways. I like the fast speeds and side by side racing down the front stretch. Who gets to the corner first? Those high degree bankings too. Of course the racing at these tracks these days is not as exciting as they were before restrictor plates, but I still like them anyway.

Happy New Year all!
T-Bird Ro

Back
Top Bottom