Should CUP drivers be allowed to race in Nationwide races?

Should CUP drivers be allowed to race in Nationwide races?

• Total voters

Lazyking

Over the Cassill we go
Pretty simple poll with a simple yes or no. I just want to gauge how the forum feels about this.. I vote no.

Yes , otherwise no one will watch Nationwide , sponsorship and attendence will fall off , and the series will disappear . It would be sad not to have a place for these new guys to show their stuff .
Just my opinion.:D

I say yes. The less experienced guys and gals are there to learn and get more experience before they move up to the Cup series, and they are going to learn a lot more from racing against an experienceed Cup driver with a lot more knowledge, then they are from racing against someone that dosn't know any more then they do or that can't race any better then they can.

NO.

If you compete full-time in the top series, you don't need to invade the lower series and compete against those in the lower series who are trying to compete with others in their own series.

Yes BUT on a limited time basis. Maybe 10 starts a year. Does it help the other drivers learn? Kind of hard to say cause of the budgets like JGR is spending they're usually way out in front of the rest.

And if would stop people from talking about "combined" wins I'd say HELL NO!!!:D

Yes BUT on a limited time basis. Maybe 10 starts a year. Does it help the other drivers learn? Kind of hard to say cause of the budgets like JGR is spending they're usually way out in front of the rest.

And if would stop people from talking about "combined" wins I'd say HELL NO!!!:D
I agree -- 10 starts a year for a different team that they drive for in cup.

You should add a option for that (i.e. limited starts)

I didn't pick yes or no, because I don't think it's that simple. I still think NNS has become nothing more than opening day for Cup weekend, rather than really being it's own, standalone series with maybe a few companion dates.

I voted no! Run the Nationwide race before the Sprint Cup race. That way all the folks can see the up and coming drivers. People paying for a ticket see two races, which makes for a an outstanding day at the Speedway.

Yes , otherwise no one will watch Nationwide , sponsorship and attendence will fall off , and the series will disappear . It would be sad not to have a place for these new guys to show their stuff .
Just my opinion.:D

Just like ARCA, K&N, PASS, UARA and CRA have all disappeared. Oh, wait, they haven't.:rolleyes:

Put on a good show and the fans will come. They used to show up at bullrings in large numbers before the days of Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch.

There's a reason a lot of short tracks and dirt tracks get capacity crowds every week and don't need Kyle Busch to do it.

Yes, but if a current cup driver has more than 10 combined cup/NWS wins they get no purse money as well as no points. Also no owner points.

The unpaid purse money would then be paid out to the other NWS drivers. Sponsors also could still get their desired drivers for a short list of selected tracks.

Another thing they could put some more non companion short tracks back on the schedule like IRP on weekends when runnng both events is logistically difficult.
When the cup guys run California, run a NWS race at Hickoru.

cost too much money for TV coverage, limiting the competition and reducing sponsorship opportunities, Nationwide teams buy older cup equipment and they do not have the costs involved that a cup team has. So the purse money is fair IMO. That would turn Nationwide into a welfare series with big brother Nascar handing out money for doing nothing.

cost too much money for TV coverage, limiting the competition and reducing sponsorship opportunities, Nationwide teams buy older cup equipment and they do not have the costs involved that a cup team has. So the purse money is fair IMO. That would turn Nationwide into a welfare series with big brother Nascar handing out money for doing nothing.
This is so true in just about all motorsports. The lower budget teams or even teams from a different racing series buy good used hand me down cars, parts, tools and haulers. I was at a drag boat race a couple of weeks ago and I was walking around the pits and I noticed this purple hauler and I thought man that looks familiar, so I walked a little closer to it and man was I surprised to see JCIT Demand Flow Racing on the awning...it turns out that I had picked that trailer up from the Featherlite Factory in Cresco Iowa in 1998 and pulled it for two years until we sold it to an Indycar team. The thing still looked like brand new inside and out. It's such a small world.;) :D

Highest finishing Nationwide car gets first place money. Second highest gets second place money and so on. All Cup teams get last place money. Big buck teams are slowly strangling the series. IMO

Yes but on a limited basis. No 18+ races year for them.

so for instance..front row racing gets a sponsor that wants to pay for David Reagan run 25 races in Nationwide...nope you can't do that, only 18, can't afford to compete the other seven..or you have to quit your cup team...o_O in case you haven't figured it out, it ain't about the fans, you got to have the money first to race..the fans come to watch, got to have the chicken before the egg

so for instance..front row racing gets a sponsor that wants to pay for David Reagan run 25 races in Nationwide...nope you can't do that, only 18, can't afford to compete the other seven..or you have to quit your cup team...o_O in case you haven't figured it out, it ain't about the fans, you got to have the money first to race..the fans come to watch, got to have the chicken before the egg

That's not gonna happen.

As I've said in the past, more standalone races.

Problem is, NASCAR would probably make more money hosting a crappy, boring, predictable Kyle Busch Series race at an ISC track on a Cup weekend with 5,000 in the stands than hosting a good race elsewhere.

There really isn't a Nationwide series anymore. It's just a warm up race for the Cup guys with a Nationwide guy thrown in here and there.

The full time count is up on last year. Though there are some under-performing drivers you'd expect to see in the mix much more, like Piquet and Pastrana.

Looking at the entry list for Charlotte, I see Kahne, Kyle Busch, Logano, Harvick, Kenseth, and Cassill. One or two less than usual.

I vote NO Just like any other sport you dont drop back down.

I voted no! Run the Nationwide race before the Sprint Cup race. That way all the folks can see the up and coming drivers. People paying for a ticket see two races, which makes for a an outstanding day at the Speedway.

This is a great idea.

Although NASCAR will probably never go for it due to the probability of losing revenue, I think it's a great idea also.

In no other sport that I'm aware of are "big leaguers" allowed to go down to the "minors" to compete on a regular basis.

On weekends when the Nationwide and Cup races are at the same track, run the Nationwide race first without any Cup ringers participating.

Then run the Cup race including Nationwide regulars who are able to qualify for the race so that, as one poster put it, the Nationwide drivers can gauge their skills.

IMO, the Nationwide Series needs to establish it's own identity independent of the Cup Series and it will never really happen with Cup ringers dominating it like they have been.

Curious. For those that want to run the two races on the same day, how does that work? Obviously there are those out here that can't afford to see two races and that's why they currently attend just one or the other. Do they have everyone go back out through the gates after the Nationwide race and reenter with their Cup ticket in hand for the second event? That seems like a logistical nightmare. If they force fans to buy a two race ticket for an inflated price, that sounds like a marketing nightmare. Personally I think they have it figured out just fine now. Fans can attend one or the other or even both.

Curious. For those that want to run the two races on the same day, how does that work? Obviously there are those out here that can't afford to see two races and that's why they currently attend just one or the other. Do they have everyone go back out through the gates after the Nationwide race and reenter with their Cup ticket in hand for the second event? That seems like a logistical nightmare. If they force fans to buy a two race ticket for an inflated price, that sounds like a marketing nightmare. Personally I think they have it figured out just fine now. Fans can attend one or the other or even both.

What with races not selling out anymore anyway, the idea was to give fans two races for the price of one.

A long day at the races for sure.

But NASCAR would never go for it due to the loss of revenue.

What with races not selling out anymore anyway, the idea was to give fans two races for the price of one.

I have a great idea since these tracks need more people in the seats this would cause more ticket sales people would see full stands on tv and think its the place to be. So why not fill those empty seats with military? Give those empty seats away to military. Now wait before you say I am crazy these folks would spend money food soda junk stands every thing we spend money on, plus now it looks like stands are full. It could me a win win for everyone. And who better deserves to see races than our military. And I am sure that there's military bases close e ought to every track that this would work fine.

Not just NASCAR. What track owner would want to do that? The leading track owners, ISC and SMI are both publicly traded companies. I wonder how well a two for one would go over with their investors? There would also have to be a reduction in the payout in this two for one scenario. I wonder how well that would go over with the teams?

The Nationwide Series simply isn't as popular as it once was. Is that due to Cup drivers dropping down? I highly doubt it. The Cup Series isn't as popular as it once was either. NASCAR in general is not as popular as it once was.

The two for one idea would be great for the fan if it were truly two races for the price of one but I think it's nothing more than a dream.

If I were a track owner, since most races aren't close to selling out anymore, I would sell all race tickets at 50% off to military veterans. Maybe I could get enough new veterans to offset the discounted rates for veterans that would attend anyway, and make the same amount in ticket revenue while having more people in my seats to spend at the track. At the same time, the discounted rate would be a thank you to those who served us. It would be a win-win.

I vote NO Just like any other sport you dont drop back down.
Sorry man that is B.S.
The Teams in Tulsa are farm teams for the pros, hockey and baseball, plenty of dropping down. Teams keep good players even though they are either healing up, or they are trying out somebody else at the top level, or younger guys learning the ropes. Had season tickets to the hockey games for years and I was able to see many top level pro players that way.

Folks need to think beyond the surface, I enjoy the prerace Samantha shows....
K-S-3-kyle-and-samantha-busch-25113967-332-500 (1).jpeg
K-S-3-kyle-and-samantha-busch-25113956-332-500 (1).jpeg
_L1A0049-49-L (1).jpeg
Baker-Redbook-Nascar1 (1).jpeg

Not just NASCAR. What track owner would want to do that? The leading track owners, ISC and SMI are both publicly traded companies. I wonder how well a two for one would go over with their investors?

Probably about the same as giving away thousands of Nationwide tickets or not selling Nationwide tickets at all.

Greg, they did a nice segment on race hub tonight about Samantha, Kyle, and KBM racing, and how much she does with their childrens charities program. My hats off to Samantha and Kyle for making some young kids lives a little better.

I saw it, she is a special woman with a wonderdul heart. I always think about her inner beauty

A lot of tracks already do this.
They used to. Not any more. Sure, you always have the option to do so but even Bruton has learned that you can't force that on the public. For example, in the glory years of NASCAR there was a waiting list for the night race @ Bristol. To get them you had to buy the entire package. These days you can walk up to the ticket window the night of the race and purchase a great seat. It is a sign of the times that has finally gotten through the noggin of these track moguls. I had to buy into that crap for years at both Richmond and Bristol. I gave up the Richmond seats as they wouldn't let me split up the events. Bristol gave in and I now own individual race packages for that venue. These tracks will learn, eventually, that they need to start taking out seats again to force demand. The tracks are so overbuilt now that there is no demand for seats. Instead though, they'll continue to paint them to look like paying fans or covering them with massive tarps all in the hope that their turnstiles will once again spin like tops on race day. I think those days are long gone.

Back
Top Bottom