Should CUP drivers be allowed to race in Nationwide races?

Should CUP drivers be allowed to race in Nationwide races?

• Total voters
Sorry man that is B.S.
The Teams in Tulsa are farm teams for the pros, hockey and baseball, plenty of dropping down. Teams keep good players even though they are either healing up, or they are trying out somebody else at the top level, or younger guys learning the ropes. Had season tickets to the hockey games for years and I was able to see many top level pro players that way.

Yes I agree with the farm team analogy however they usually drop down or go upandstayin that spot for awhile.You dont see them goingback down to theminorleague's every week just to try and win extra games. I am only guessing but I would imagine it takes more money to bring Kyle or someother Cup driver down for a weekend than to put a driver that needs seat time in the car. In looking at it this way would you not agree that it inflates the cost of racing for the nationwide teams and sponsors. Do you think a owner pays the same to Kyle as he would to a rookie? More money out of a teams operating budget. Yes, if the cup driver performs well than the owner might make more but if there were no drop downs I think it would be financially easier on all teams.

It probably would cost more to bring a cup driver down because of their contract I would guess. But sponsorship defrays that cost. Sponsors are probably the guilty party if you want to lay blame, and not the driver. They get a sweet deal in front of them at the start of the season, and the driver is at the track anyway, so they can watch the race from their motorhome, or have a race to compete in that isn't a big pressure event for them. I would bet that Jimmy, and Jeff etc are offered deals to race in Nationwide, but they decline. Kyle takes all he can get including the trucks. Jacks some people up when he does. I think some drivers like Logano need to run in the Nationwide, the extra experience helps. But a lot of people don't think Kyle needs the experience, he is there to beat up on the little guys. I think when Kyle gets a bit older and has a few more aches and pains, he will back off running so much, but right now he has a race team that is always hungry for more money.

It probably would cost more to bring a cup driver down because of their contract I would guess. But sponsorship defrays that cost. Sponsors are probably the guilty party if you want to lay blame, and not the driver. They get a sweet deal in front of them at the start of the season, and the driver is at the track anyway, so they can watch the race from their motorhome, or have a race to compete in that isn't a big pressure event for them. I would bet that Jimmy, and Jeff etc are offered deals to race in Nationwide, but they decline. Kyle takes all he can get including the trucks. Jacks some people up when he does. I think some drivers like Logano need to run in the Nationwide, the extra experience helps. But a lot of people don't think Kyle needs the experience, he is there to beat up on the little guys. I think when Kyle gets a bit older and has a few more aches and pains, he will back off running so much, but right now he has a race team that is always hungry for more money.
A very good post, StandOnIt. I have always admired these guys that are not afraid to get out there and put that extra effort in instead of laying around in their motor coach all weekend. It is definitely paying off for Kasey and KB.;)

They used to. Not any more. Sure, you always have the option to do so but even Bruton has learned that you can't force that on the public. For example, in the glory years of NASCAR there was a waiting list for the night race @ Bristol. To get them you had to buy the entire package. These days you can walk up to the ticket window the night of the race and purchase a great seat. It is a sign of the times that has finally gotten through the noggin of these track moguls. I had to buy into that crap for years at both Richmond and Bristol. I gave up the Richmond seats as they wouldn't let me split up the events. Bristol gave in and I now own individual race packages for that venue. These tracks will learn, eventually, that they need to start taking out seats again to force demand. The tracks are so overbuilt now that there is no demand for seats. Instead though, they'll continue to paint them to look like paying fans or covering them with massive tarps all in the hope that their turnstiles will once again spin like tops on race day. I think those days are long gone.

Those days are dying but they're not long gone. I know Richmond still forces you to buy Nationwide tickets if you want good seats for the Cup race. And you can't even give Nationwide tickets away.

Sorry man that is B.S.
The Teams in Tulsa are farm teams for the pros, hockey and baseball, plenty of dropping down. Teams keep good players even though they are either healing up, or they are trying out somebody else at the top level, or younger guys learning the ropes. Had season tickets to the hockey games for years and I was able to see many top level pro players that way.

I can't think of another sport where the competitors at the highest level drop down to the JV leagues for 50-75% of the season. Sure, I've gone to Tampa Yankees games that guys like Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens played in, but those are nothing more than rehab starts and they're back in the majors where they belong in a few weeks. Sometimes an athlete will struggle and go cold in the pro league so they'll be demoted to the minors until they can get hot again but that's a far cry from what the Cup regulars are doing.

And for all those who say that it gives the Natiponwide drivers more competition and teaches them how to drive better. All I can say is maybe somebody other than Kyle should be showing them how to drive. Maybe a clean driver like Mark Martin would be a better mentor. Oh Oh, I might have started something with that comment, Sorry!

And for all those who say that it gives the Natiponwide drivers more competition and teaches them how to drive better. All I can say is maybe somebody other than Kyle should be showing them how to drive. Maybe a clean driver like Mark Martin would be a better mentor. Oh Oh, I might have started something with that comment, Sorry!
I would love to see mark help them on the track. I know he helps a few of them in the garage area.

Actually I thought my comment about Busch would be the trigger. I have been and always will be a Mark fan. had a small adjustment to make when he went to Chevy and a even bigger adjustment when he went to that other company.

When Mark Martian was doing it I thought it was good for the drivers to learn from him. These days I see it as a test session for the Cup drivers.

good espn.com discussion on this.

nw--n--trucks.

best analogy from king richard----nfl qb .....old hi school friday nite......old college team saturday.....nfl sunday

I didn't want to start a new thread because it's along the same lines as this thread.
For those that don't like Cup drivers in the Nationwide series, how do you feel about guys like Fellows, Pruett, etc. racing in either Cup or Nationwide at road courses?

good question, they haven't dominated the series like full time cuppers do, they race a couple of times only. In the couple of races they run, about all they have accomplished is a better place at the finish line than the full time driver that is running the car, of if they are a stand alone effort, a spot or two taken away from a full timer or sometimes a cup regular. It would be a different story if they won every year, but I don't think any have won a race in a long time maybe never.

good question, they haven't dominated the series like full time cuppers do, they race a couple of times only. In the couple of races they run, about all they have accomplished is a better place at the finish line than the full time driver that is running the car, of if they are a stand alone effort, a spot or two taken away from a full timer or sometimes a cup regular. It would be a different story if they won every year, but I don't think any have won a race in a long time maybe never.
Initially, I think they came in with high hopes but soon realized that NASCAR drivers are about the best there is.

I didn't want to start a new thread because it's along the same lines as this thread.
For those that don't like Cup drivers in the Nationwide series, how do you feel about guys like Fellows, Pruett, etc. racing in either Cup or Nationwide at road courses?

bob---standonit beat me ta my reply .

when fans start complainin ta sponsers......it'll all end. til then...$$ rules.

yeah and like last year, ol kicker Piquet, who has more experience in road racing than ovals, handed them their hats, not to mention x F1 drivers V8 supercar champions, even Danica was in 4th until Jacko booted her and Pappas who has about washed out of Nascar on the last lap. I might be prejudiced, but I don't think so. I was watching Carl Edwards on UTube last night beat the heck out of Michael Schumacher in a stadium rally race..The announcers couldn't believe it, refused to believe it. I believe it. I wish they could have another IROC type event, let them run Nascar's and F1's, indycars, and stadium rally cars, V8 supercars, hell, sprint cars on dirt while I am dreaming.o_O

Yes BUT on a limited time basis. Maybe 10 starts a year. Does it help the other drivers learn? Kind of hard to say cause of the budgets like JGR is spending they're usually way out in front of the rest.

And if would stop people from talking about "combined" wins I'd say HELL NO!!!:D
What about limiting the number of drivers who compete for points in other series to 4 or 6 drivers?

I don't buy that Cup drivers qualifying are keeping out potential Nationwide competitors. Six teams S&P'ed at Iowa, where only 1 Cup driver entered (and Logano didn't even start). There aren't enough competitive N'wide teams to fill the already reduced field.

Road ringers are a non factor in cup but in NW they really enhance the race for me. It's really cool to see all of them running up front, and one even taking home the win (yes for now AJ is a road ringer). I really wish they were competitive in cup.

Road ringers are a non factor in cup but in NW they really enhance the race for me. It's really cool to see all of them running up front, and one even taking home the win (yes for now AJ is a road ringer). I really wish they were competitive in cup.

think tha big $$ teams have sucked every teeny,tiny bit a' info from tha best road racers out there by now,
an transferred that ta cup regulars . no mo exp. advantage.

Back
Top Bottom