Should Pit Crew members own up for their performance?

Team Penske

Team Owner
Fines and penalties are dolled out to the team but the pit crew member that caused the problem isn't effected. I know if problems are consistent they are replaced on the team, however I think the person responsible for tightening the wheel nuts is the one who should be penalized by suspension of races per wheel nut. If one nut is lose or missing on the front and one on the back, both guys get suspended for 1 race. If there are 2 lugnuts lose on the same wheel, that person is suspended for 2 races. It may slow down pit stops by 1/2 second but it sure would be cheaper in the long run for driver/team and pit crew members.

It may slow down pit stops by 1/2 second but it sure would be cheaper in the long run for driver/team and pit crew members.
1/2 a second can be pretty expensive.

What’s the goal in shifting the penalty to the crewman? It’s not going to act as a deterrent. These guys aren’t thinking, “Eh, I can leave the wrench in; it doesn’t come out of my pocket.”

Have you played a team sport? No monetary penalty is going to be worse than trying to meet your teammates’ eyes.

Fines and penalties are dolled out to the team but the pit crew member that caused the problem isn't effected. I know if problems are consistent they are replaced on the team, however I think the person responsible for tightening the wheel nuts is the one who should be penalized by suspension of races per wheel nut. If one nut is lose or missing on the front and one on the back, both guys get suspended for 1 race. If there are 2 lugnuts lose on the same wheel, that person is suspended for 2 races. It may slow down pit stops by 1/2 second but it sure would be cheaper in the long run for driver/team and pit crew members.

Are you serious!

Meercats.jpg

I think fines and penalties for lug nut issues is completely stupid. Thank you Tony Stewart. I hope it goes away with the single lug.

I think fines and penalties for lug nut issues is completely stupid. Thank you Tony Stewart. I hope it goes away with the single lug.
Same, I can't stand how this was all a knee-jerk reaction to his statement. I love Tony, but why did they cherrypick that one issue to actually implement what he said when he's called out several other things over the years and they brushed him off?

Same, I can't stand how this was all a knee-jerk reaction to his statement. I love Tony, but why did they cherrypick that one issue to actually implement what he said when he's called out several other things over the years and they brushed him off?
They were being dicks, honestly. I thought it was childish. I suppose JGR didn't help things with nuts never designed to fastest the wheel to the hub.

They were being dicks, honestly. I thought it was childish. I suppose JGR didn't help things with nuts never designed to fastest the wheel to the hub.
Yeah. I'm looking forward to single lug only for that reason really. I love the choreography of five lug, but the penalties in recent years ruin it for me.

Back
Top Bottom