SHR Just Died —- KILLED by Josh Berry

WhiningSmoke

Team Owner
Back in 2008, Tony Stewart announced he was leaving JGR to buy into Haas CNC Racing and turn it into Stewart-Haas Racing. Him and Ryan Newman were immediately successful and the team was immediately amongst the great Cup teams. They eventually signed great drivers like Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, and the cash cow AND a personal crush of mine, Danica Patrick.

Stewart won the 2011 title. But his success as a driver paled in the success of aforementioned 2014 signing, Kevin Harvick. Kevin Harvick has won 37 races and the 2014 championship with SHR. SHR, however, has not been able to get out of their own way.

Ever since the departure of Kurt Busch, they’ve been on a downwards spiral. Cole Custer. RYAN PREECE. Chase Briscoe has shown flashes but he’s not a top tier driver. Aric Almirola has been solid but he’s not going to win you a championship or a bunch of races. But you know which signing is going to end up being the worst one? Josh freaking Berry.

Josh Berry can barely win Xfinity races, as he seems to be more focused on wrecking his teammates. Josh Berry makes Tyler Reddick look like an A+ driver like Kyle Busch. Josh Berry will never be a scab on Kevin Harvick’s butt. What has Josh Berry ever accomplished anyway? He beat Ty Gibbs and Aric Almirola to win an All Star Open race in the 48 car. He finished 2nd at Richmond due to a rare Alan Gustafson good strategy call. Everyone talks about his time he spent subbing for Hendrick’s injured drivers and how that turned many heads, but really all he did was run 15th the entire time! Sure, he got some top 10s but they were all luck and attrition. NOW he and SHR think he’s going to replace a generational talent in Kevin Harvick? Absolutely not.

Josh Berry will last as long in the Cup series as his namesake would last left out in the sun in the middle of July. He is no Kevin Harvick. Heck, he isn’t Aric Almirola. They basically just replaced Harvick with a Ryan Preece clone and because of this, by 2030 I bet SHR will be no more.

My very first race I ever watched was Kevin Harvick’s first win. If I’d known back in 2001 that he’d be replaced by an absolute disgrace and fraud of a stock car driver, my four year old self wouldn’t have even started watching NASCAR. This is ridiculous and I can’t believe it.

Back in 2008, Tony Stewart announced he was leaving JGR to buy into Haas CNC Racing and turn it into Stewart-Haas Racing. Him and Ryan Newman were immediately successful and the team was immediately amongst the great Cup teams. They eventually signed great drivers like Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, and the cash cow AND a personal crush of mine, Danica Patrick.

Stewart won the 2011 title. But his success as a driver paled in the success of aforementioned 2014 signing, Kevin Harvick. Kevin Harvick has won 37 races and the 2014 championship with SHR. SHR, however, has not been able to get out of their own way.

Ever since the departure of Kurt Busch, they’ve been on a downwards spiral. Cole Custer. RYAN PREECE. Chase Briscoe has shown flashes but he’s not a top tier driver. Aric Almirola has been solid but he’s not going to win you a championship or a bunch of races. But you know which signing is going to end up being the worst one? Josh freaking Berry.

Josh Berry can barely win Xfinity races, as he seems to be more focused on wrecking his teammates. Josh Berry makes Tyler Reddick look like an A+ driver like Kyle Busch. Josh Berry will never be a scab on Kevin Harvick’s butt. What has Josh Berry ever accomplished anyway? He beat Ty Gibbs and Aric Almirola to win an All Star Open race in the 48 car. He finished 2nd at Richmond due to a rare Alan Gustafson good strategy call. Everyone talks about his time he spent subbing for Hendrick’s injured drivers and how that turned many heads, but really all he did was run 15th the entire time! Sure, he got some top 10s but they were all luck and attrition. NOW he and SHR think he’s going to replace a generational talent in Kevin Harvick? Absolutely not.

Josh Berry will last as long in the Cup series as his namesake would last left out in the sun in the middle of July. He is no Kevin Harvick. Heck, he isn’t Aric Almirola. They basically just replaced Harvick with a Ryan Preece clone and because of this, by 2030 I bet SHR will be no more.

My very first race I ever watched was Kevin Harvick’s first win. If I’d known back in 2001 that he’d be replaced by an absolute disgrace and fraud of a stock car driver, my four year old self wouldn’t have even started watching NASCAR. This is ridiculous and I can’t believe it.
Well now are least they didn't replace him with Tyler Reddi(c-)k.

I think it was Harvick's choice to retire. I am going to miss his competitiveness and tenacity. I dont think he left anything on the table.

As a fan there has been some cringe worthy moments, but there is also something classy about the passion as well. I am glad he is going out while he is still strong with some dignity

If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be traveling on now
'Cause there's too many places I've got to see
But if I stay here with you, girl
Things just couldn't be the same
'Cause I'm as free as a bird now
And this bird you cannot change
Oh, oh, oh, oh
And the bird you cannot change
And this bird, you cannot change
Lord knows, I can't change
Bye-bye baby, it's been sweet love, yeah, yeah
Though this feelin' I can't change
But please don't take it so badly
'Cause Lord knows, I'm to blame....

Specially dedicated to all the haters

We need a letter grade is that a C+, D+, a B-???

Well Mr? Smoke, name the available driver that YOU would put in the 4 car. It needs a driver, and I don't see anybody that much better that is looking for a job. That ride is not the slam dunk career option for many drivers it once was. Personally, I think the biggest issue at SHR is a couple of absentee owners.

Amazing.

Every word of what you just said …

… was wrong.
When Tyler Reddick was being touted as a generational talent I said he was B+ at best…. Which now that he’s in “superior” TRD equipment is exactly how he’s performed. I’ve got an eye for talent! And Berry isn’t it.

When Tyler Reddick was being touted as a generational talent I said he was B+ at best…. Which now that he’s in “superior” TRD equipment is exactly how he’s performed. I’ve got an eye for talent! And Berry isn’t it.
You DO realize Berry has just over one full season in an Xfinity car. A little early to decide what his ceiling might be.

85db479f07d67b1b.gif

With only three championships in close to 20 years, it's hard for me to see anything superior about TRD equipment. 23 tennis shoe isn't setting the world on fire since Reddick appeared.
It remains to be seen if Berry moves the needle at SHR

The killin of SHR by Josh Berry is almost as tragic as the Super Bowl halftime show was when Fergie castrated Slash and "sweet child of mine" all in one fail swoop.

Another mediocre driver at SHR.
Let's see;
Won a race as an Xfinity part time rookie.
Went to the final four as an Xfinity rookie
Finish 2nd in one of his first half dozen Cup races as a fill in driver with a team not his own.
Won the All Star Open against drivers with 50 times more Cup experience than him, with a team that isn't his.

Sounds more like a mediocre TEAM for Josh Berry.

AND, all of this teeth gnashing is kind of meaningless unless you can name a better alternative. Who you got?

AND, all of this teeth gnashing is kind of meaningless unless you can name a better alternative. Who you got?
Zane Smith. Todd Gilliland…. Hell Todd is outperforming Preece. Erik Jones won a race in the 43 last season why not him? SHR isn’t doing enough and they’re settling for another mediocre driver in Josh Berry.

Losing another driver, maybe this will motivate Dale Jr. to step up and start a Cup team.

Same as Ty Gibbs....oh, Champion Ty Gibbs.
Hey, if he was available, that would be a GREAT hire, sadly for SHR, he isn't. Like many, I think Zane Smith ends up in a SHR car. I think he's got a lot of talent, but at THIS point to say that he would be a far better Cup driver than Berry is just a talking out your butt statement. Gilliland is intriguing, but going into the 4 is a BIG step. He doesn't have near as much experience as Berry running at the sharp end of the field and Berry has age and maturity going for him too.

Hey, if he was available, that would be a GREAT hire, sadly for SHR, he isn't. Like many, I think Zane Smith ends up in a SHR car. I think he's got a lot of talent, but at THIS point to say that he would be a far better Cup driver than Berry is just a talking out your butt statement. Gilliland is intriguing, but going into the 4 is a BIG step. He doesn't have near as much experience as Berry running at the sharp end of the field and Berry has age and maturity going for him too.
And Erik Jones? They could’ve inked him before he got extended at Legacy.

Back
Top Bottom