Slamball

S

smack500

You ever played basketball and wanted to slam dunk but you couldn't becuase you couldn't jump very high or weren't tall enough. Well this is the sport for you they put trampilines all through the court so anyone can bounch up to the goal

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/ex..._02/04_23d.html

Slam Ball

It's the hard hitting, high flying game that brings a whole new meaning to slam dunk and NBA sportscaster Pat Croce just loves it. He says, “It's good entertainment."

Pat knows entertainment. He owned basketball's Philadelphia 76ers. Now he's so fired up about Slamball that he's doing color commentary. Pat says, “I love the NBA, but this Slamball really gets my juices going. It's an element of basketball, but because it has hitting, a guy tries to duke you, you whack him."

Slamball will fly onto TV on TNN this summer and the sport's creator, Mason Gordon, is one Hollywood executive who's right in the middle of the bang-up action. He says, “I threw an alley-oop pass there at half court and some guy just planted me."

Even sexy sideline reporter Jamie Little has tried it. She says, “We can all jump and actually slam dunk something we can’t do normally."

Pat thinks that appeal will make Slamball really take off and even become a nationwide league. He says, “There are arenas that would love to have this. I would love to see a Philly team. Those crazy guys out there would love to kick someone’s butt."

I saw this stuff advertised a few days ago. I cannot believe they have the audacity to call someone who does this an athlete. What's next, golf with a hole the size of a basketball hoop? "For those who can't putt worth a s**t..." Sad part is, some people will actually pay to watch this.

tn ward dont forget sports are for entertainment for the players and the fans I think it would be fun to play

I watched some the other night. They are in great shape because they use a 15 sec. shot clock. It is basketball with hockey rules.:),and I would watch it before a NBA game.

The newest in extreme sports, slamball combines basketball with trampolines for high-flying, full-contact action.

When it comes to sports, Chris Robbins is a self-described, "jack of all trades, master of none."

The 28-year-old football, baseball and basketball player was good at everything, but best at nothing.

Then came slamball.

"They finally invented a sport that I'm good enough to play at a professional level," said Robbins.

Photo courtesy of TNT
Players fly through the air and literally bounce off the floor by trampoline in the made-for-TV sport of slamball, which premiers Aug. 3.

At first glance, slamball most closely resembles basketball. Two teams of four players each try to get an overinflated, deeply-channeled basketball -- or "slamball" -- into a basket.

Simple enough, right?

Now throw in some trampolines, goalies, and full-contact rules.

To watch slamball is to see a real-life video game, said co-creator Mason Gordon. This over-the-top action is what Gordon, 27, hopes draws the support of a generation raised on video games and action movies.

"My age group has sort of seen everything there is to see,"

Six teams have already played and filmed a season's worth of games. The show will premiere August 3 on TNN.

The court has eight trampolines placed in strategic positions -- one under each basket, one at the top of each arc, and two at the perimeter of the baskets. Players use these to create spectacular dunks.

If they can get to the basket.

The ball carrier must make it down the court without being body-checked and stripped of the ball by the other team. Then, they come face-to-face with a stopper -- a goalie of sorts -- whose sole job now, by almost any means, is to keep the ball out of the net.

Dunks are met with such resistance that getting one is worth three points.

It's three points that Sean Jackson, a.k.a. Inches, is pretty good at getting.

"I find my ways to get around the stopper," Jackson confided. "I may not make it the first or second time, but by the third or fourth attempt, I'm going to put it in."

Jackson is a street-baller, whose aggressive style made him a natural for slamball, said co-creator Mason Gordon. Interdisciplinary athletes like Robbins also excel at the game.

Mike Tollin, the game's co-creator, sees fan support coming easily for the game because it combines the spectacular elements of extreme sport performances with team sport values. Unlike some extreme sports, it also clearly identifies a winner and loser.

"There is a clock running down, there are points being put on the board," Tollin said.

Gordon and Tollin envision slamball courts popping up across the country. Here, after a little training, fans will be able to emulate their idols.

Just be careful, because slamball may make everything else seem mundane.

The other day, Robbins watched a traditional slam-dunk contest.

"It was boring. I was laughing," he said.

"Basketball just doesn't do it for them anymore," explained Gordon

The court is 94-feet-long, 55-feet-wide and is surrounded by 16-foot-high plexiglass.
The shot clock is 15 seconds.
Perimeter shots put three points on the board as do dunks. All other baskets are good for two points.
Teams consist of four players: one stopper or goalie/guard; one handler or forward; and two gunners or wings.
Players are protected by knee, elbow, and wrist pads and a helmet.
A set of rules, including no low hits and no clipping in the back court insure a clean, if not pain-free, game.
A full season with six teams was played and filmed last year. An inaugural slamball champion was crowned.
The "Slamball" series premiere is Aug. 3 at 8 p.m. on TNN. Five one-hour shows follow on consecutive Saturday nights.

http://www.pe.com/sports/outthere/stories/...530-otslam.html

btw whateva happened to the XFL???

Back
Top Bottom