Slow News Week

LouieLouie

Team Owner
Since this seems to be a slow NASCAR news week and we are all just waiting for the season to start, I thought I would throw a topic out there to get some feedback. I don't know if I have ever brought this up here or not, but I have certainly spent a lot of time thinking it through.

Anyway, my idea is to split NASCAR into 2 divisions East and West with a new rule that would require teams to split their cars equally among the divisions, i.e. 4 car teams can only have 2 cars in each division, not all 4 cars in the same division. On top of this, there would be 4 or 5 major races in which the divisions qualify and race together, i.e. the Daytona 500.

Also, each division would only race every other week except around the majors. So let's say after the Daytona 500, the East division would go directly to Atlanta the following week and then have a week off, while the West division would have a week off and then go to Phoenix (or some other track).

So the idea here is that the teams and their technical advantages would be diluted across 2 series which would allow underfunded teams to be more competitive in a single series. This also allows teams more rest in between races but the fans still get to see a race each week and the tracks don't lose any dates. There is also potential to add more race dates and different tracks. The cost of sponsorship goes down, which would hopefully attract new sponsors, plus with the large teams potentially having less money to spend, smaller teams could once again become more competitive. Ultimately with increased number of sponsors available, and increased fandom, the amount of money eventually goes up through growth rather than exclusivity like they are doing now.

When the major races come around, they become that much more important and exciting because there is 1) rivalry between east and west 2) only so many cars can make the race, i.e. true heat races to get into the 500 (kind of like the duels now), and 3) charters would be split across the 2 divisions and could still be guaranteed a spot in the majors with room left over for small teams (increasing the value of the charters). Think about 50 cars at the next 500 or 80 cars trying to qualify to get in. Or think about 50 cars at the next Southern 500!

This is all a pipe dream, but I think there are a lot of benefits to everyone involved. Eventually you could also have a European division, an Aussie division, Asian division, etc. I also think F1 could do something similar but we can leave that for the F1 board.

Anyway, there are a ton more details that I have worked through but aren't necessary at this point. Thanks for reading if you have gotten this far. I'm ready for the current season to start.

What did I miss? The big changes were sooooo last week! :D
I think all of the latest news broke while you were writing your manifesto. ;)

I'll have to give you time to catch up.

I had to stop reading when you broke the series into two separate divisions. I want to be able to go to a race and watch my driver compete. That's not going to do many any good if he's not in my local division. I vote 'No'.

I think it has been a bit slow as well.
This is my first post , so I am just learning the navigation of site etc.
I guess this weekend I will get my racing fix with Supercross and NHRA cranks
up in Pamona. Well I am off to go explore the threads and posts.

"Pamona."

Another new entry on top of his game. Enjoy the Summernationals, pal.................................

Since this seems to be a slow NASCAR news week and we are all just waiting for the season to start, I thought I would throw a topic out there to get some feedback. I don't know if I have ever brought this up here or not, but I have certainly spent a lot of time thinking it through.

Anyway, my idea is to split NASCAR into 2 divisions East and West with a new rule that would require teams to split their cars equally among the divisions, i.e. 4 car teams can only have 2 cars in each division, not all 4 cars in the same division. On top of this, there would be 4 or 5 major races in which the divisions qualify and race together, i.e. the Daytona 500.

Also, each division would only race every other week except around the majors. So let's say after the Daytona 500, the East division would go directly to Atlanta the following week and then have a week off, while the West division would have a week off and then go to Phoenix (or some other track).

So the idea here is that the teams and their technical advantages would be diluted across 2 series which would allow underfunded teams to be more competitive in a single series. This also allows teams more rest in between races but the fans still get to see a race each week and the tracks don't lose any dates. There is also potential to add more race dates and different tracks. The cost of sponsorship goes down, which would hopefully attract new sponsors, plus with the large teams potentially having less money to spend, smaller teams could once again become more competitive. Ultimately with increased number of sponsors available, and increased fandom, the amount of money eventually goes up through growth rather than exclusivity like they are doing now.

When the major races come around, they become that much more important and exciting because there is 1) rivalry between east and west 2) only so many cars can make the race, i.e. true heat races to get into the 500 (kind of like the duels now), and 3) charters would be split across the 2 divisions and could still be guaranteed a spot in the majors with room left over for small teams (increasing the value of the charters). Think about 50 cars at the next 500 or 80 cars trying to qualify to get in. Or think about 50 cars at the next Southern 500!

This is all a pipe dream, but I think there are a lot of benefits to everyone involved. Eventually you could also have a European division, an Aussie division, Asian division, etc. I also think F1 could do something similar but we can leave that for the F1 board.

Anyway, there are a ton more details that I have worked through but aren't necessary at this point. Thanks for reading if you have gotten this far. I'm ready for the current season to start.

It is fun to play around with different scenarios and in the idea you floated I would make one division all short tracks and road courses and the other could be the Brobs.

... I had to stop reading when you broke the series into two separate divisions. I want to be able to go to a race and watch my driver compete. That's not going to do many any good if he's not in my local division. I vote 'No'.
The solution to your issue have each division scheduled to run at each track. Red Division runs M'ville in the spring, Blue Division competes in the fall. Next year they switch.

I toyed with several variations on the 'two divisions' notion back when the sport was more popular and there were plenty of teams entered each week. All variations included assigning teams to divisions based on the previous year's finishing order. I haven't given it any thought since the decline began, and no longer regard it as practical. The demand isn't there any more.

@Hotrod, welcome aboard!

The solution to your issue have each division scheduled to run at each track. Red Division runs M'ville in the spring, Blue Division competes in the fall. Next year they switch.

I toyed with several variations on the 'two divisions' notion back when the sport was more popular and there were plenty of teams entered each week. All variations included assigning teams to divisions based on the previous year's finishing order. I haven't given it any thought since the decline began, and no longer regard it as practical. The demand isn't there any more.
Right now I go to Martinsville twice a year to see my driver run. That would cease. No thanks.

Funny, many here complain about the sport be turned into and modeled after stick and ball. This idea looks like yet another move in that direction.

How would single car teams be split and how would all teams cope with the cost of being out west all the time

Welcome aboard Hotrod!

How would single car teams be split and how would all teams cope with the cost of being out west all the time

Good question. My thoughts were that they would just fill the field and choose where they would compete. Probably need a rule that says they can't jump from one division to the next although the points would probably take care of that anyway.

As far as being out west, this would actually help grow the sport. Phoenix, Vegas, and Auto Club are only 5 hours from each other. Encouraging teams to move to this area would help create the East/West rivalry as well as grow the sport in general. Also, this helps the East division become more of the old school division with that southern flavor that so many miss.

Again, all a pipe dream so thanks for humoring me with a response.

No news is good news and pls stop screwing with the racing :p

So, the short version is, you the want the Cup Series to be like the K&N East/West Series( formally known as the Winston West Series).

Back
Top Bottom