Smaller Spoilers and Soft Tire

P

pettyfan4life

* Smaller Spoilers, Softer Tires in the works: NASCAR Winston Cup Scene reports this week that NASCAR officials are moving toward smaller spoilers and working with Goodyear to use softer tire compounds, but the officials aren't ready to say when the changes will be made. While drivers such as Rusty Wallace are urging the change as early as the season's second race, the Subway 400 at North Carolina Speedway in Rockingham, Winston Cup Director John Darby told the paper that the changes may not come that quickly. He said Goodyear has agreed to produce softer tires if NASCAR can reduce downforce, which Darby said the sanctioning body intends to do. The changes would make cars less dependent on aerodynamics and might make for more competitive racing by reducing the aero-push and increasing passing. "It's going to take some time, and it's hard to pinpoint how long that will be," Darby said.(Winston Cup Scene Daily Newsletter)(1-2-2003)

I hope they don't drag their collective feet on this one. Aero push is for shopping carts!:p

I'll believe it when I see it. Would love to see it though...

Sounds like a plan. Now lets have it actually happen before the end of this coming season.

Duh ....why does nascar take so long to figure this out? Look at the cars of the 70s ....spoilers were almost non existent, and we never heard thet term aero-push. Time Nascar got their head out of their butts and fixed this problem!:rolleyes:

You know what this problem has only been getting worse over the last 2 or 3 years and Nascar continues to drag their feet. I for one am sick of all their rhetoric, seems like it is always politics ,politics!

Originally posted by Mopardh9
You know what this problem has only been getting worse over the last 2 or 3 years and Nascar continues to drag their feet. I for one am sick of all their rhetoric, seems like it is always politics ,politics!

Drag their feet? Ok think what you want.:rolleyes:

Ok if they weren't dragging their feet then the spoilers would be smaller wouldn't they? Nascar is always afraid of doing something that will produce dramatic results. They complain about all the traffic jams,3 wide 4 wide racing on restrictor plate tracks, yet they have not come up with a solution. Time they listened to old Rusty on this one, time they listened to a lot of the drivers. But you know what.... all that huge pack racing sells....people don't use their seats for those races because they are always looking for the "big one" to happen. To me that is not racing takes it out of the drivers hands and does not show his true ability.

When I watch the pre-plate races, the racing was just as exciting. Tiny spoilers, no valence in the front.

People stood most of the race, too, because there was something going on all the time.

The racing was close, but the constant 3 and 4 wide wasn't there. Was much better racing in the "old" days.

Seems to me that the only time Nascaar drags its feet is when someone really wants something. They don't drag their feet when it comes to fines, suspension or ticket prices. If it benefits the driver, fans, or anybody else they are slow about getting anything done.:bs:

Originally posted by Mopardh9
Ok if they weren't dragging their feet then the spoilers would be smaller wouldn't they? Nascar is always afraid of doing something that will produce dramatic results. They complain about all the traffic jams,3 wide 4 wide racing on restrictor plate tracks, yet they have not come up with a solution. Time they listened to old Rusty on this one, time they listened to  a lot of the drivers. But you know what.... all that huge pack racing sells....people don't use their seats for those races because they are always looking for the "big one" to happen. To me that is not racing takes it out of the drivers hands and does not show his true ability.

It seems though like every other race there is a new rule that is supposed to make racing better and safer. They are trying and you need to give them credit. That have tried a bunch of things like small fuel cells, those little metal strips across the roof and many many other things to help. They have to make the fans happy and the team happy. Atleast they are trying.

To be honest with you, I'd like to see the small spoilers, less front valence AND the hard tires. At Daytona and 'Dega take an inch away from the width of the tires to boot.

Mustang. This is a no win arguement about NASCAR causing all of the problems for the races. Most people don't like plate races (myself encluded) because of the rules that NASCAR has in place to try to make for good racing and still keep the cars slowed down. But, everytime a rule comes along in the effort to correct some problem that either the drivers, teams or fans see as something that needs changing, those same people find fault with it. If NASCAR (using this case of smaller spoilers and softer tires) just said "Okay, lets do it" and something happens (like a big horrific wreck with enjuries or worse) or the race becomes boring, then NASCAR gets the blame. They are trying, but they are also trying to be fair to all the teams and trying to make a safe change.....they can't win no matter what. Some people have to have a villain.........NASCAR, because they are the sanctutioning body, is an easy target.

BTW, I'm not thrilled with NASCAR's rule tinkering......just when they do (since they seem to want to do it all the time), at least they appear to put some thought into the changes. Some drivers seem to think they have the answers to everything........and they may have but, only for their personal situation. You can't have a free for all out there.....and the sanctutioning body is the final say. Something we have to live with as fans.

Sounds like the is what the fans want! yahoo! It's about time!

That sounds like a better plan than most of the things they have been doing. Reducing spoilers and using softer tires has actually something drivers have been asking for awhile now in place of the restrictor plates or those smaller fuel tanks.

The smaller fuel tanks were a joke, Nascar is not the Villian here, greed is! It is all about the almighty buck, always has been, in every sport, and nascar is no exception. The smaller spoilers-softer tires will help , but to what extent they go remains to be seen. I say mandate a smaller displacement engine say a 4.6 v-8, get rid of the restrictor plates and let the chasis guys and tweakers make the car go. Gives the drivers more say in how good they really are too!

if it will be safter and could keep a driver from death i say do it

are they still planing on doint the smaller fule tanks at Daytona

I haven't heard anything ....but lets hope not, i don't know about you but i like to see the race won on the track not in the pits!!!

I know that ruined Dega to me een though I was in Charrolett watching th Best football team(not) Panthers doing what they do best (losein)

Well that sucks....i didn't think it was that big of a success at Dega last season.

That should help separate the men from the boys as well. We should be able to see a difference in the level of competition based on driver ability more easily if they do adopt those changes.

Problem I forsee....too many of the "boys" will complain that they took the level of competition down a notch when you start seeing the "men" dominate!

If they are gonna make this change I sure hope it is all season long and not another year of running this race one way and the next race back to the old and so on.

Kel

All the smaller tanks do is create 2 or 3 packs instead of just 1....you still have the same problem, but on a smaller scale. Small tanks are not the answer, i'd rather see the race won on the track not in the pits.

Back
Top Bottom