So, a funny thing happened at the race I announced today...

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
U-CAR feature at Franklin County Speedway. About halfway through the race, WJ Altizer amassed an enormous lead and looked like he was well on his way. Chad Ricker was running in second about a full straightaway behind. Well, working through lapped traffic, Ricker starting closing up on Altizer. Then, with about four laps to go, Ricker made the pass and went on to win.

No silly "debris" cautions and a manufactured green-white-checkered finish. Race officials let the race play out and the fans were treated to a classic. In fact, every single division put on a good show and every single caution that came out in the race was legitimate.

The moral of the story is that races don't have to have late race cautions to bunch the field up and green-white-checkered finishes to be entertaining races.

(This is the part where I tag breatheoflife so he can celebrate.)

Last edited:
Every racing league ain't NASCAR tho. These drivers aren't gonna lose a whole straight away of a lead while passing lap traffic in the closing laps. They know how to maneuver around the slower cars and keep hiring their marks. Plus the back markers normally move out the way if the leaders towards the end of the race.

I see what yer saying though. This year has been weird with GWC and obvious caution calling inconsistency by NASCAR.

I wish they would just get on with it already and make them sprint or segmented races since that's what they always devolve into anyways.

Out of eight races this year, only two have had a green-flag run to the checkered of more than 9 laps.

Do we have to finish under a Green-White-Checkered finish every bloody week? As I've said elsewhere, I've snarked in the past about segmented races, competition cautions and stuff like that, but damn.......... they might as well just implement the Martinsville rule and get it over with that way there's some integrity in the process.

Every racing league ain't NASCAR tho. These drivers aren't gonna lose a whole straight away of a lead while passing lap traffic in the closing laps. They know how to maneuver around the slower cars and keep hiring their marks. Plus the back markers normally move out the way if the leaders towards the end of the race.

I see what yer saying though. This year has been weird with GWC and obvious caution calling inconsistency by NASCAR.
This year??? Nascar has done the mysterious cautions for quite a few years now.

Rickers is a bad ass! Looks like those offseason improvements paid off. I saw a video of the last couple laps tonight. Helluva job.

Thanks again for the texts Andy.

U-CAR feature at Franklin County Speedway. About halfway through the race, WJ Altizer amassed an enormous lead and looked like he was well on his way. Chad Ricker was running in second about a full straightaway behind. ..

But Andy , at a Nascar race with that big a lead , Nascar fans would already be headed for the exits grumbling about how BORING the race was . Most Nascar fans would've missed the great finish . They have the attention span of a gnat and Nascar trys to find ways to entertain them so they won't be BORED.

Half of them anyhow. 4 for 8. I'd rather see that than a finish under caution. For me it adds to the excitement of the race.

Late race cautions add excitement but we don't need a late race caution or G-W-C every race. California would've been just fine without it and Darlington was exciting enough just waiting to see how Harvick's car would break down this time.

Late race cautions add excitement but we don't need a late race caution or G-W-C every race. California would've been just fine without it and Darlington was exciting enough just waiting to see how Harvick's car would break down this time.
California was ridic. NASCAR basically picked and choosed which blown tire and spinning car they were gonna call a caution for. If I remember right, Almirola spun down through the grass with no caution and several laps later Clint did the same thing but it was 2 laps to go so they said LEAN ON THE BUTTON. Darlington was another joke. Vickers was blocking the entire pit lane with cars barreling onto pit road with no caution but when Joey blows a brake line in the closing laps LEAN ON THE BUTTON.

I'd used to hate when races finished under yellow, even when Gordon won, and I like the idea of the GWC but NASCAR has got to be more consistent with what is a caution and what isnt,

Dayum! That happened here too! The second place car caught the first place car, passed him and won! Is this a common occurrence? Someone passes another and wins a race? WOW!

Dayum! That happened here too! The second place car caught the first place car, passed him and won! Is this a common occurrence? Someone passes another and wins a race? WOW!

No Green-White-Checkered finish? No way! I thought you needed those to have a good race. :sarcasm:

Without that late race caution (maybe Nascar told the 17 to spin) Kyle Busch would have won the NNW race at Darlington instead of Chase and then wouldn't you be complaining about that?

Do we have to finish under a Green-White-Checkered finish every bloody week? As I've said elsewhere, I've snarked in the past about segmented races, competition cautions and stuff like that, but damn.......... they might as well just implement the Martinsville rule and get it over with that way there's some integrity in the process.

Martinsville Rule?

I hate to be "that guy" who digs up an old thread, but I was at Southern National last night. Since there were USCS sprint cars in town (which were crazy and entertaining to watch, but hardly a "great race"), Limited Late Models were the highest "track" class running. In both twin-35's, Haley Moody had the best car and was in the process of running away with it. Both times, a competition caution came out. The first race, she ended up in the middle, three-wide, held it for a lap, then got pinched out by the low car. Ended up fifth. The second race, she got shoved all the way into turn one on the restart and fell to third. But hey, God forbid the fans start leaving early at 11:30 during the last race of the night because the leader has a 1.5 second lead.

It was really the only complaint on an otherwise awesome night. I don't make it to SNMP every week they open the gates, but it was the best night of racing I've personally seen there since the place re-opened. Just left with a sour taste in my mouth, that's all.

I hate to be "that guy" who digs up an old thread, but I was at Southern National last night. Since there were USCS sprint cars in town (which were crazy and entertaining to watch, but hardly a "great race"), Limited Late Models were the highest "track" class running. In both twin-35's, Haley Moody had the best car and was in the process of running away with it. Both times, a competition caution came out. The first race, she ended up in the middle, three-wide, held it for a lap, then got pinched out by the low car. Ended up fifth. The second race, she got shoved all the way into turn one on the restart and fell to third. But hey, God forbid the fans start leaving early at 11:30 during the last race of the night because the leader has a 1.5 second lead.

It was really the only complaint on an otherwise awesome night. I don't make it to SNMP every week they open the gates, but it was the best night of racing I've personally seen there since the place re-opened. Just left with a sour taste in my mouth, that's all.

Yeah, Haley told me all about those competition cautions. I really wish she'd go and race elsewhere. If the "boys" don't wreck her out because their pride can't stand getting their asses waxed by a girl, the track screws her over.

Yeah, Haley told me all about those competition cautions. I really wish she'd go and race elsewhere. If the "boys" don't wreck her out because their pride can't stand getting their asses waxed by a girl, the track screws her over.

I'd hate to see that happen, but she definitely deserves better than what she's getting at SNMP. There was a Charger race last season (which I'm sure she told you about) where she was leading going into three on the last lap and second-place just flat-out wrecked her, and the whole field in the process. I was hoping she'd deal with less of that moving up to LLMs, but I guess not.

I'd hate to see that happen, but she definitely deserves better than what she's getting at SNMP. There was a Charger race last season (which I'm sure she told you about) where she was leading going into three on the last lap and second-place just flat-out wrecked her, and the whole field in the process. I was hoping she'd deal with less of that moving up to LLMs, but I guess not.

Haley's a damn wheelwoman. Let her unload at a racetrack where the boys will race her with respect and she'll get it done. Been trying to talk her in to coming to Franklin County Speedway.

And yes, I know all about the Charger races. A lot of non-talent competing in that division. And I heard all about "that" race as well.

I can't wait for the night she goes ape**** and stands up for her rights. That's going to be worth the four hour drive to Kenly. :)

And yes, I know all about the Charger races. A lot of non-talent competing in that division. And I heard all about "that" race as well.

I can't wait for the night she goes ape**** and stands up for her rights. That's going to be worth the four hour drive to Kenly. :)

She was gutted/pissed off during her 3rd-place interview last night. Very carefully and tactfully said something to the effect of "Maybe avoid those competition cautions" when asked what she could have done differently in the second twin. That night might be coming sooner rather than later. 50-lapper on May 10th!

She was gutted/pissed off during her 3rd-place interview last night. Very carefully and tactfully said something to the effect of "Maybe avoid those competition cautions" when asked what she could have done differently in the second twin. That night might be coming sooner rather than later. 50-lapper on May 10th!

Love her passion. She wants to win so bad she can't even see straight.

She proved to the world last year what she can do when she won at Myrtle Beach in the single greatest "moment" I've ever seen at a race.

Last edited:
Might go to SNMP tonight but I hate that rule even more now that it's been explained to me. Apparently, every Limited Late Model race is REQUIRED to have a caution flag.

Might go to SNMP tonight but I hate that rule even more now that it's been explained to me. Apparently, every Limited Late Model race is REQUIRED to have a caution flag.

Yep. They legitimately are "competition cautions," not the ones we joke about watching the Cup races.

Where's the competition caution at in this sleepfest? They sure as **** can throw cautions when Haley's winning. This is bull****.

Lee Pulliam sweeps. Here, let me show you something. This is my shocked face.
721438.jpg

Where's the competition caution at in this sleepfest? They sure as **** can throw cautions when Haley's winning. This is bull****.

Me and a couple of work buddies were saying the same thing about lap 30. Just seemed like her car wasn't up to snuff this week. And Pulliam took everybody's cookies this weekend. That was a clinic.

Unrelated tangent from being there: Drivers who blow their motors and spend the entire following lap anywhere other than the apron, thus oiling down the entire freaking track, should be forced to stand by victory lane afterwards and get one whack from a wrench from every driver in the race.

(I like how this has become the Southern National Motorsports Park thread)

Back
Top Bottom