Southern Slam 150

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
So I went to the Southern Slam 150 last night to watch the Whelen Southern Tour Modified finish out their season. Is it me, or do quarter mile tracks with no banking offer very inferior race? I saw the same kind of racing there that I did with Bowman, no passing up front and was basically follow the leader.

Am I going to the wrong track to watch exciting Modified races, or is this is what Modified racing all about?

I also got to feel sorry for Jason Myers a bit, I don't know if Burt is just a better wheelman or what, but it seems like Burt is the better driver of the two brothers.

So I went to the Southern Slam 150 last night to watch the Whelen Southern Tour Modified finish out their season. Is it me, or do quarter mile tracks with no banking offer very inferior race? I saw the same kind of racing there that I did with Bowman, no passing up front and was basically follow the leader.

Am I going to the wrong track to watch exciting Modified races, or is this is what Modified racing all about?

I also got to feel sorry for Jason Myers a bit, I don't know if Burt is just a better wheelman or what, but it seems like Burt is the better driver of the two brothers.

I'd catch them at a nicely banked 3/8 or a 1/2 mile track. They're a little too much car to produce at a 1/4 mile track.

Modified racing doesn't entertain me much, anywhere. Unless it's at a high banked track.

How's the action at Caraway Speedway?

I've been a handful of times and each time it was some good racing.(Especially Late Models) I think it'd be worth checking out. If you enjoy modified racing, see if you can't find a track that has them on an 8" tire. They're a much better show IMO.

I've been a handful of times and each time it was some good racing.(Especially Late Models) I think it'd be worth checking out. If you enjoy modified racing, see if you can't find a track that has them on an 8" tire. They're a much better show IMO.

Well, I wouldn't know what track those are. lol

I wish I could have seen more modified races. They came to the Anderson SC Speedway in the 80s. Anderson is 3/8ths of a mile with moderate banking. I think Satch Worley won the race, and the Myers brothers dad was driving in those days. Great racing imo.

There is one whatever happened to question, I haven't figured out. Around 1973 to 75 a guy named Don Miller was the track champion at Greenville Pickens Speedway for two seasons. If I remember correctly he was from Winston Salem, and drove a green #69 Chevelle. A #69 Chevy out of Winston Salem driven by a Miller, I know there's a connection, can anyone offer more details?

Back
Top Bottom