Speed truck Announcer

P

PettyBenson

Speed Channel CTS TV Host/Announcer named: Rick Schwieger, the public-address announcer at Memorial Stadium since 1994, is resigning to be the television host for NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series racing on Speed Channel. Schwieger signed a two-year contract. His first race is the Florida Dodge Dealers 250 at Daytona on Feb. 14. "The opportunities that could be out there had to be very, very good and the upside had to be great for me to walk away,"Schwieger said on Friday. "I'm excited because how far I go is based on my performance. There are plenty of opportunities out there." Schwieger first auditioned for a TV gig two years ago when Fox Sports gained half of the television rights for NASCAR Winston Cup and Busch Series events. Though Schwieger wasn't hired, his banter with Darrell Waltrip during the audition made an impression on Fox Sports chairman David Hill. When Speed Channel wanted a new team for its Truck Series broadcasts, Schwieger's name was one of the first mentioned. Speed Channel is owned by Fox, and its Truck Series broadcasts will be produced in the edgy style of Fox Winston Cup telecasts. Executives said Schwieger is an integral part of the new look. "He doesn't have any substantial on-camera experience, but we're willing to invest that time,"said Rick Miner, Speed Channel's vice president for programming and production. "He's a good-looking guy, he's young, and his knowledge and friendliness should come through well on TV. "Plus, he's got great pipes." Schwieger's trademark voice is only part of his contribution to Nebraska. The Grand Island native was a three-time All-American in the decathlon. He graduated from NUin 1992. In addition to football, Schwieger is the public-address announcer for men's basketball. But it was his work at Eagle Raceway that ultimately landed him on the national scene. Track owner Craig Cormack hired Schwieger in 1996, and Tom Deery, a NASCAR official in charge of the series' sanctioned short-tracks, was impressed enough to first mention Schwieger's name to Fox Sports officials. "I've learned an unbelievable amount from Craig and the people at Eagle,"Schwieger said. Schwieger will continue in his fund-raising job with the athletic department through March 1 and be at the microphone for as many men's basketball games as possible the rest of the season. He will attend production meetings next week and check out the Truck Series practicing at Daytona beginning Jan. 11. The full Speed Channel team, including a well-known driver and former crew chief, will be introduced Jan. 20. The 25-race Truck Series concludes Nov. 15. Schwieger will call the races from the booth and host pre- and post-race coverage. Schwieger will call other events for Speed Channel, including NASCAR touring series races.(Lincoln Journal Star), some rumors have Jeff Hammond, Phil Parsons and Ray Dunlap as the other broadcasters.....(1-6-2003)

Back
Top Bottom