Speedbowl14 Goes to Indy (and everywhere in between)

Speedbowl14

Ryan Preece and short tracks
Hi all,

A bit of context... I am a career skier. I am a ski instructor in Utah. I go all across the country skiing. I've done insane month long trips cross the country for skiing. Day trips waking up at 4am, driving 4 hours, skiing 7 hours, then driving 4 hours back. I love auto racing with nearly the same intensity.

Now, it's time for RACING to take the center stage it deserves after decades of me being a hardcore fan. Tomorrow, I leave Salt Lake City. I am skiing in Colorado for 3 days, then visiting Kansas Speedway for NASCAR. Then it's off to Indianapolis for the Month of May. And I'll be hitting up every short track in between. I believe I have 8-10 short track events planned over the course of the next month! This is absolutely a bucket list trip. I am doing most of May solo in Indy, in an Airbnb 1/4th mile from the track. The turn 2 grandstand is literally in the background of the picture of the Airbnb. Then I have some buddies coming in for the 500. We'll be at an Airbnb 3 miles from the track and plan to just walk it.

It's pretty damn crazy. I cannot hear Back Home in Indiana without feeling goosebumps. I've already told my buddies I will probably tear up when that plays in Indy and when the cars enter turn 1 for the first time. So stoked.

I love it. With skiing it's a bit different... 130+ ski days a year... odds are one vacation will not make/break any big memories. This is the other end of the spectrum. I'm not well-off by any means but I'm putting up the coin and doing this trip right. It is sooooo exciting! I will be posting updates!

@Daytripper can't remember if we've gone over this or not, I am ss20 on ski forums if you are the same daytripper on Alpinezone.

To me, this is what the Indianapolis 500 is. A car bouncing around, on the edge, danger lurking, a grueling challenge of endurance. Sure it's not the same today, but fewer things have changed at Indy than in most forms of motorsports. What a crazy clip!

Get over to IRP while you're in town! Check the schedule for Salem too!

Oh of course IRP Carb Night Classic is on the schedule! As well at the Little 500 at Anderson! And a smathering of local dirt and asphalt events, including what will be my first ever Figure 8 race attended at the Indy Speedrome! I have been to hundreds if not thousands of short track events across the country and for some reason, a proper Figure 8 never lined up. Ever. So I'm abnormally pumped for that!

It's pretty damn crazy. I cannot hear Back Home in Indiana without feeling goosebumps. I've already told my buddies I will probably tear up when that plays in Indy and when the cars enter turn 1 for the first time.
No one is ever prepared for their first Indianapolis 500. No matter how much you are told about it, you will still be overwhelmed by it all.

I made a very cool stop at the Kansas Racing Museum today. They opened in the late 90s and the place hasn't been touched since shortly after it seems. Oozing with coolness, quirkiness, and so low key it was awesome!

Lots of random stuff.... A lot of the museum featured a relatively unknown racer in ARCA and the Goody's Dash series.

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_113512042.jpg
    IMG_20240503_113512042.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240503_105903792.jpg
    IMG_20240503_105903792.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240503_110946078.jpg
    IMG_20240503_110946078.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240503_113424845_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240503_113424845_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240503_112241919.jpg
    IMG_20240503_112241919.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Go early. Stay late.

And there's a thousand local restaurants better than the Mug N Bun. Good root beer though.

So Kansas was AMAZING, obviously. I've already polluted the NASCAR thread with my reactions.

I've been in downtown St. Louis watching the Mets play the Cardinals 2 nights in a row. I haven't been able to see the Mets play in many years. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, there's the series finale tomorrow at noon, and a dirt track up in Illinois running that I want to see. Both could be dry or rained out... we will see. Then it's GP weekend!!!

Back
Top Bottom