Spencer signs deal with Ultra Motorsports

S

slick-nick

MOORESVILLE, N.C. -- Former NASCAR Modified competitors Jimmy Spencer and Tommy Baldwin have been reunited in the Winston Cup Series at Ultra Motorsports.

Spencer, a two-time champion in the Featherlite Modified Series, was announced Friday by Ultra owner Jim Smith to team with crew chief Baldwin for the 2003 season. Baldwin joined the No. 7 Sirius Dodge team in November after leaving Bill Davis Racing.

Spencer, who had a handshake deal to drive James Finch's No. 1 cars in the Busch Series but now will not do so, hopes to run up to 15 Winston Cup/Busch combination events in his own No. 34 Spencer Motor Ventures cars, pending sponsorship.

Casey Atwood drove the No. 7 until the final two races of the season, when he was released. Spencer competed in 2002 for Chip Ganassi Racing but was told before the end of the season he would be let go from the final year of his contract.

"We're excited about Jimmy coming on board, because he's one of the finest competitors in our sport," Smith said. "The excitement he brings on and off the track is something our sport thrives on, and having Spencer as the driver and Tommy Baldwin as the crew chief will make for a good combination for Ultra Motorsports and Sirius Satellite Radio."

Baldwin was named crew chief of the No. 7 team on Nov. 19. Baldwin, a Bellport, N.Y., native, has three victories as a Winston Cup crew chief, including the 2002 Daytona 500 with driver Ward Burton.

Spencer captured both of his Winston Cup victories in 1994, at Daytona International Speedway in the Pepsi 400 and Talladega Superspeedway in the DieHard 500. Spencer, from Berwick, Pa., also has 12 NASCAR Busch Series wins to his credit, most recently last year's Food City 250 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

"I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about being a part of this team," Spencer said. "Jimmy Smith has been a NASCAR supporter for years. His truck teams have been very successful and I expect the No. 7 team to be no different."

Smith, one of the charter owners in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, has come close to winning the last two Craftsman Truck Series championships, with former Winston Cup driver Ted Musgrave.

"I'm very excited about this opportunity with Tommy Baldwin as the crew chief, Mike Ege building the engines and Sirius Satellite Radio sponsoring the car," Spencer said. "We've got a chance to do big things this year."

Spencer and Baldwin have some history.

"Tommy and I have been good friends for 20 years," Spencer said. "I think back to the Modified days when I raced against his dad in the late 80s. Tommy was the crew chief for his dad and one of the biggest races they ever won was at Riverhead Raceway on Long Island.

"I came in as the national champion, but they flat beat me. That opened my eyes with Tommy and I gained a lot of respect for him. He's one of the best around."

The 2003 season will be Spencer's 15th in the Winston Cup Series. With his two career wins, he also has four Bud Pole Awards, 27 top-five finishes and 76 top-10s.

Now...........all I could ask for is that Jimmy kicks butt!! Especially any Ganassi driver.:D

Tommy Balwin and Jimmy Spencer both could use a good season. I don't know about that #7 team, but maybe they can make something happen if the chemistry is there.

Calm down DEW. Remember, Jimmy will be driving one of the lower class Dodges. Probably won't be able to keep up with any of the Ganassi cars. Question is, will you smile if Jimmy spins one of said Ganassi cars? :)

Ya think that'll work? With Ganassi having 2 rookies on the same team?

Originally posted by buckaroo
Calm down DEW.  Remember, Jimmy will be driving one of the lower class Dodges.  Probably won't be able to keep up with any of the Ganassi cars.  Question is, will you smile if Jimmy spins one of said Ganassi cars?  :)

So we now have classes of Dodges? Hmmmmm.........thought the whole idea of parity was to eliminate that.:) Anyway, there is great and proven crew chief, a sponsor that didn't bail even when Casey was delegated to "lower class", an owner that knows a little about racing in a NASCAR division.........PLUS, a pretty darned good driver! Don't poo poo it yet, my friend.:D

And, yeah..........guess I would smile if Jimmy happens to be around when one of the Ganassi drivers happens to have a little misfortune. As long as it can be "one of them racin' deals".:D

Oh don't worry, if Jimmy can catch up with one of them better Dodges and clips it just a little to make it go spinning, it will be one of them racin' deals. My question is...will Jimmy be able to stay in that car for the entire season? While sitting behind the wheel of a cup car, Jimmy has shown brilliance only a few times. He does pretty well while in a Busch car, but let's be honest here almost all of the cup drivers do well when driving a Busch car.

I think so buck.........really, I do. He hasn't had a really great ride since coming to Cup. I know that that is not to say that Jimmy hasn't seized the opportunities he has had in the past.......in other words, he's not entirely innocent. But, he's still a lot better driver than a whole lot of people give credit for. He's really no worse than Sterling Marlin, in my opinion. And as for him staying in the car for the season........hmmmm. Guess that sort of depends on Sirius doesn't it? But, they did stick it out for Casey last year.:) But, I think Jimmy has a little fire in his eyes now........not because Ganassi canned him, but because Ganassi went out of his way to take a Busch ride away too.

Heck, I might have to change my name to: Jimmy Modified Champ #24!!:D

I'm joking, Paul!!:)

I hope all goes well for Jimmy and Tommy!! We all knew that Jimmy would end up in the #7 but when it was know that Chip kinda played his hand in Jimmy not getting the #1 BGN car I began to wonder. I am now glad that its offical, and that Chip did not play with the 7 car.

One thing I'll give Jimmy and that is he's got gravitas! :) But seriously, I think Jimmy has something to prove not just to Ganassi, but to the whole series. If he can keep his emotions in check, he might be able to do something good. But, I don't think he will be sitting in a car that will be capable of going to the front very often and thus will languish in the back. A poll at NASCAR.com seems to back me up. Nearly 60% of the people poled think that Jimmy will finish outside the top 20. Now Ward did that this year after winning the first race and another one later, so finishing out of the top 20 isn't hard to do. But remember, Jimmy's teammate, Sterling, finished in the top 20 and how many races did he miss? :)

Sterling missed 7 (I think)..........but Sterling had all the attention of Chip. Sterling will have to settle for something less this season........Chip has two rookies that he has to "prove" his wisdom with! I think Sterling is out of a ride after this season.:( Yeah, Jimmy has something to prove to the NASCAR people.........he's taken hits for as long as I can remember about the "donuts". He's taken that in stride too. He can hold his emotions in check........despite what some say, I've never seen him take someone out intentionally (yeah, even the Kurt Busch thing). He's aggressive........that's his style. You might be ready to delegate him to the back marker division........but I'm not so sure.:)

Your High, sterling out of a ride????? No way that will happen Sterling brought Gannasi his first WC win, brought Dodge their first return win in 2001. No way would Chip get rid of him unless he stunk up the joint so bad that he couldn't make races. That won't happen because that is a quality team, look for Sterling to finish in the top 10, but Spencer will be lucky to make all the races, don't see him finishing any better than 30th.

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
I think Sterling is out of a ride after this season.

ROFL!!

Don't worry Mopar...it's the "new thing" to dislike Ganassi.

Hey all i know is that Chip knows how to run a "business" and how to breed winners! LOL>

Me too, he's highly respected in all forms of racing...yet he ditches some no-name driver in NASCAR and people suddenly hate him, the same driver half these people whine about all season anyway...most have never even heard of Chip before he started racing in NASCAR so their credibility in judging him as an owner is diminished.

Anyone that associates with Chip is usually there for a reason , whether it be talent or busines,but in Spencers' case i think Chip went out on a limb. I truly feel he is a talent , i watched him come up in the modified ranks when i was a young stud. He raced at Stafford back in Conn, and did very well, i believe he even won a National Championship in Mods if i remember correctly. He could do things with a car that you wouldn't imagine....."Mr. excitement " was an understatement! He has a problem with keeping his temper in check.... always has and flys off at the motuth at times, before he thinks about what he is going to say. Other than that he is a cool guy i respect him and i think he would do well with the right crew chief ....and i emphasize right. He needs a crew chief that will constantly keep him focused .....i give him 2 more years in WC, then he is either out of racing or off the NCTS.

There are unfortuantely few drivers out there every Sunday that are great at "Car Control". Jimmy Spencer is one of them. I cant count all the times that I have seen him save a car that should have wrecked.

While I am playing "defense" I also feel that Ganassi is a top notch team owner with a mind for the business of the sport that is rivalled by very few. He is also not likely to struggle for sponsorships therefore offereing more security than most other owners. He is highly respected and knows how to market!

Kel

Back
Top Bottom