Spoiled brats and family traditions

T

TN-Ward-Fan

Good thought provoking article from eracefans.com. Puts the schedule realignment issue in a different light.

NASCAR is just one big family. A really BIG family. There isn’t a family in the world that doesn’t change through the years, and the NASCAR family is no exception.

Fans are the adopted parents. Sure, Big Bill France actually “had the baby”, but when you think about it, NASCAR never would have grown up without the fans. The baby has grown up and is leaving the nest, leaving the parents behind wondering just what it is we did to make NASCAR ignore all the things we tried to teach them.

I’m the mom of a soon to be six year old, and I’m trying to raise my son with lots of love and support, and I’m trying not to spoil him rotten. I don’t want him to grow up and leave me behind. I hope that I will always be a part of his life, and he will know that he can always count on me.

The last thing I want to happen is for him to turn his back on his family. This is what seems to be happening now with NASCAR. There is no question that the fans have loved NASCAR, the drivers, the crews, and the organization. We’ve supported the sponsors by buying products, supported the drivers, wearing shirts, hats, and anything else you can think of. We’ve supported the organization by buying race tickets. We’ve been there all along, doing our best to keep “the kid” happy.

Maybe we did too much, and like the parents of any spoiled brat, have raised a selfish child. We’ve sacrificed our time and our money to raise this child, and now it seems that all we still do for him will never be enough to satisfy him.

“Sorry Mom, can’t come home to Darlington for vacation this year. I’m going to California with my new friends. Well, yes, Mom, I know we do it every year, but I’m all grown up now. I’ve got things to do with people who will be able to help me in my future.”

“No, I’m not coming for Thanksgiving at Rockingham this year. The weather’s horrible. I’m going to hang with my new friends, and be with them. Why don’t you change your old fashioned traditions and come with us. What do you mean you can’t afford it? Oh well, I’ll see you sometime then”

I know I’m not going to like all the things my son does growing up. I’m not going to like some of his friends. I don’t like a lot of things going on in NASCAR right now either. First grade and the 2004 season will bring a lot of changes. But, I can’t worry about that right now. This year has enough exciting and new things to learn and do.

Maybe NASCAR HAS turned it’s back on the parents. I may have to accept that. I have a feeling that no matter how far he roams from home, I’m always gonna love him.

Miracles do happen though, and the Prodigal son did come back home, asking forgiveness. When that happens, I’ll be waiting.

Back
Top Bottom