Stage Cautions on Road Courses

I've never been a fan of stage breaks period, especially on road courses. But let's be honest nascar doesn't care about a fan like me. I'm going to watch the race when the race is on no matter what (unless the fish are biting good or its deer season). They're doing this to attract people with short attention spans.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I've never been a fan of stage breaks period, especially on road courses. But let's be honest nascar doesn't care about a fan like me. I'm going to watch the race when the race is on no matter what (unless the fish are biting good or its deer season). They're doing this to attract people with short attention spans.

I like them mostly for when I attend, it’s like intermission at a hockey game. IMO need this for sure as well as single file restarts on road courses

Stage breaks were inserted because too many races became boring, as drivers even admitted to stroking during the middle of the race. Some folks might opine that stage breaks also provide more opportunity for TV advertisements...

Stage breaks are kinda like having your cake and eating it too. Races are long because the first "big" races (as in well-known, like the Indy 500) were designed to prove that automobiles could be durable. Other series, including NASCAR, copied that formula. But racing evolved from proving the durability and capabilities of products to today's personality show. We care much more about the drivers and other participants - so much that now the cars hardly resemble and contain very few parts shared with their street counterparts, and the race cars have been "equalized" to promote driver and pit crew talent. So we really don't need long races anymore, and fans get bored when drivers start stroking. Stage breaks allow NASCAR to keep the tradition of long races while breaking them up into smaller chunks - and some fans now treat stage breaks as intermissions. If that keeps those fans watching, that's probably a good thing.

I used to hate stage breaks because I thought that was NASCAR interfering with the flow of the race, but now I'm not so upset since the breaks do allow strategy changes and also more opportunities to fix uncompetitive cars. And they do create more competition during periods when drivers used to stroke.

As far as stage breaks during road course races, they do re-bunch the cars that otherwise get strung out. Can cause a lot of grief to teams that were dominating and / or now have to reengage with the squirrels, but it does provide more excitement for the fans. Excitement is the overall product, after all.

At this point I'd actually rather see the caution clock over the stage breaks. Nothing seems like more of a waste time than running around under caution for 10 minutes, running 2 laps and taking a stage break for another 20 min break

At this point I'd actually rather see the caution clock over the stage breaks. Nothing seems like more of a waste time than running around under caution for 10 minutes, running 2 laps and taking a stage break for another 20 min break

If the caution comes out or is already out after pit road closes, end the stage and start the break.

It will be great if they do it. Stage breaks have taken most of the strategy out of the road course races.
Not only that, it pretty much renders the Stage 2 winner unable to win the race as they'll cycle out towards the back. As I've said many times before, if we're going to run this many road courses, then we need to have more applicable rules so these races flow well together. IMO a bigger issue is the lack of HP, that Roval race was one of the worst races I've ever attended in person. The lack of action was stunning, especially compared to what its been

Dumping stage cautions at road courses is overdue in my opinion. Forcing teams to choose between stage points and a chance to win the race is dumb and creates confusion for the casual fan. I'm not a fan of the current number of road courses as it is but getting rid of the stage break would be a step in the right direction imo.

Dumping stage cautions at road courses is overdue in my opinion. Forcing teams to choose between stage points and a chance to win the race is dumb and creates confusion for the casual fan. I'm not a fan of the current number of road courses as it is but getting rid of the stage break would be a step in the right direction imo.
Besides confusion it basically does the opposite of what stage cautions were intended to do. They're supposed to get drivers to run harder to the stage break. Now they pit and ride around to conserve tires til the cycle back to the front

Besides confusion it basically does the opposite of what stage cautions were intended to do. They're supposed to get drivers to run harder to the stage break. Now they pit and ride around to conserve tires til the cycle back to the front

Some pit and some stay out and race for the points. Sometimes cars that pit come up thru there and score pretty well, some even pass everybody and have the tires and the points. To some of us that is an interesting part of the race seeing what is going to happen.

Some pit and some stay out and race for the points. Sometimes cars that pit come up thru there and score pretty well, some even pass everybody and have the tires and the points. To some of us that is an interesting part of the race seeing what is going to happen.
With this generation of car no one is running back up through the field. Either you pit to try to win the race or you stay out for stage points that's about it.

With this generation of car no one is running back up through the field. Either you pit to try to win the race or you stay out for stage points that's about it.

That's how Bell won a race running up thru the field when others stayed out

That's how Bell won a race running up thru the field when others stayed out
I didn't watch that race bit didn't he pit outside of a stage break on that? I thought it was late in race during a rash of cautions?

The only reason I’m slightly okay with stage cautions because it’s at least a place for them to throw a commercial break in and we not miss any green flag racing.
Yeah I agree. That is what the breaks are designed to do to, increase the amount of green flag racing. Looks like Nascar's part was adding stage points which has many times improved the wheel holding when they could race for the points instead. There aren't any fans available who would pay millions every year so the rest of us could watch commercial free so it is what it is.

The only reason I’m slightly okay with stage cautions because it’s at least a place for them to throw a commercial break in and we not miss any green flag racing.
That doesn't happen though. That was what was pitched to us when stages were initially being implemented, and I was a fan of that too, but then in reality there's still tons of commercials under green anyway, so it doesn't really benefit us like that.

That doesn't happen though. That was what was pitched to us when stages were initially being implemented, and I was a fan of that too, but then in reality there's still tons of commercials under green anyway, so it doesn't really benefit us like that.
Well of course they will be some under green, they can’t go the laps they have to go without it. BUT we would miss even more green flag runs without it. Like I wish they was less commercial breaks. I hate HATE getting them surely when a great battle is going on. So it does benefit us because that’s two more commercial breaks they can give us.

They could also fix this issue on road courses with pit rules. Can only do tires or fuel under green, not both. Can only do 2 tires under green. Tons of options to manipulate the strategy

I think a lot of decent ideas have been posted here for road courses. I guess the holdup is getting the advertisers licks in or something. It doesn't make any sense why they haven't done something.

If anything substantial happens during a commercial break, they always show multiple replays.

If anything substantial happens during a commercial break, they always show multiple replays.
That’s true, but I love seeing as much Green Flag racing as I can.

Now what I wish they would do, is not count laps during stage breaks. If a stage is supposed to be say, 60 laps, those 60 laps shouldn’t start til the green waves to start the stage.

Well of course they will be some under green, they can’t go the laps they have to go without it. BUT we would miss even more green flag runs without it. Like I wish they was less commercial breaks. I hate HATE getting them surely when a great battle is going on. So it does benefit us because that’s two more commercial breaks they can give us.
Gotta pay the bills somehow, include that fat check to NASCAR every week.

So instead of giving owners, drivers, teams a larger slice of the pie, NASCAR’s solution is make them run a cheap spec car.
Makes sense. /s

Back
Top Bottom