Sterling would not be able to race today

H

HardScrabble

He will race on Sunday, but I would guess he won't be 100% physically. Hoping he at least gets a smooth ride on Sunday with no further impacts. Would not want to see the points race decided by injury, minor or otherwise, to any of the parties.

From the Tennessean:

Points leader Marlin hurting after Saturday's crash

By LARRY WOODY
Senior Writer

Sterling Marlin, still in intense pain yesterday after a hard crash at Richmond International Raceway this past Saturday night, said if he needed to race today, he couldn't do it.

''I'm too sore to even climb in the car,'' Marlin said from his home in Spring Hill, where he is resting. ''Hopefully I'll start feeling better on into the week. I plan on racing this weekend.''
The next stop on the NASCAR Winston Cup circuit is Sunday at New Hampshire Speedway.

Marlin crashed early in the Richmond race and had to be helped from his car as he was wincing in pain. He was checked at the infield hospital and released.

''Nothing was broken,'' Marlin said, ''but I'm so sore I can hardly move. I must have stretched muscles and tendons in my back, chest and neck. I'm scheduled to go to a chiropractor [this morning] to get some treatments.''

The 45-year-old Marlin, who began racing in NASCAR's top division at age 18, said the crash, ''was the hardest hit I've ever had on a racetrack. I guess I was lucky to come out of it as well as I did.

''But right now, I don't feel very lucky.''

Marlin finished last in the 43-car race. He has led the Winston Cup points standings since the second race of the season but now, with 10 races left, several drivers have drawn close enough to take the lead in any race. Second-place Mark Martin is only nine points behind.

''I can't worry about it,'' said Marlin, whose first career championship would be worth $4.7 million, including a $1 million bonus from Dodge.

''There's some things you don't have any control over, like what happened Saturday night. You just have to put it behind you and come back the next week and try again. It's almost like we're back to zero going into the first race at Daytona. But I still feel good about our chances.''

Marlin was not the only Midstate driver to have a bad weekend at Richmond. On Friday night, Nashville's Bobby Hamilton crashed in a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race on the same track. He suffered a broken right shoulder and broken left wrist, missed Saturday's race and will sit out two more races.

''I visited Bobby after his wreck,'' Marlin said. ''He has a couple of broken wings, but he's in good spirits and he's going to be OK. I never thought when I went to check on him that I'd be next.''

Sterling only needs to last about 10 laps, which will probably be the first caution, then he can put in a relief driver. The team is most likely going to take a huge hit in points either way. Sterling will start the car, but look for him to get relief at the first opportunity.

It's a shame to see a injury factor into what has been a great season for Sterling and a great points battle.

I'm not particularly a Sterling fan, but I sure don't want to see him hurt.I would rather have an all out race to the championship with all of the contenders healthy. I think he is going to take a big hit in points this week. (go jeffy!!) ;)

Back
Top Bottom