Streaming/Masking IP Address for in market games questions

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
So, I really want to get away from the high prices of any form of satellite providers and cable companies. I love the portability of my Dish for RV'ing but streaming only is probably in my future. My only hold-back on this move is the sports related content of our local market. Specifically, MLB and the NHL. The NFL is no problem as all of their games are on free, OTA, broadcasting. Our local MLB and NHL teams are not. They are only available on Root Sports Pittsburgh. Root Sports Pittsburgh does not have an online streaming option. Root Sports Pittsburgh is only available through Cable or satellite providers as part of a much larger, expensive, package. The other option is a streaming package directly with MLB and the NHL. Both of these offer streaming packages of all out of market games at a decent price when compared to cable or satellite. Out of market being the key words. So, if I subscribe to these streaming packages, I can get all the games except for what I want. That's where the IP masking comes in. That's got to be the way to beat the system but I want to know how easy is that to do? I currently have cable internet at a more than adequate speed for any and all streaming that I want to do. Would I have to mask the IP address of my entire home network or only the device that I am trying to connect from? How easy is this to do?

Depends on what you're trying to watch. It can vary from super easy to near impossible.

I used this to be able to watch BBC Iplayer videos, but then BBC started blocking vpns like crazy. I haven't tried lately to see if it's working with it again, but it's very easy to use and totally safe: http://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_us

I currently have cable internet at a more than adequate speed for any and all streaming that I want to do. Would I have to mask the IP address of my entire home network or only the device that I am trying to connect from? How easy is this to do?

What device are you wanting to use would be one question. I used cyberghost and other vpns on a tablet with HDMI out plugged to the tv to watch content.

Depends on what you're trying to watch. It can vary from super easy to near impossible.

I used this to be able to watch BBC Iplayer videos, but then BBC started blocking vpns like crazy. I haven't tried lately to see if it's working with it again, but it's very easy to use and totally safe: http://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_us
I'm only in need of this info for the MLB and NHL feeds that I mentioned in the first post. If you subscribe to their streaming feeds, you only get out of market games.

I'm only in need of this info for the MLB and NHL feeds that I mentioned in the first post. If you subscribe to their streaming feeds, you only get out of market games.

I never tried to switch to a different region in the same country, so I'm not sure what would work for that. I was always using them to get access to tv from other countries. Give Cyberghost a shot, it's free and safe to use. You may be able to use a server somewhere else in the U.S.; of course since it's a paid subscription you may be locked into whatever programming they offer in the region your card is from.

I would look into slingtv. I just got it and I get all the AZ Diamondbacks and Coyotes games on Fox Sports Arizona. I also get FS1, FS2, NBCSN, as well as other channels all for only $25 a month. You can download the slingtv app on almost any device. I use a Roku (they have a deal on the slingtv website to get one for half off) for my big screen tv, and I also have the app on my laptop if I go anywhere. I would email slingtv to find out if they carry the channel you want because the channels they listed as being availble in my area did not match the channels that I currently get. I.e. they didn't list FS AZ as being available, but I get it.

To mask your IP, you need a VPN. VPNs are pretty cheap but they are still a monthly fee. You are probably better off just going to reddit and looking for the games on there. Either way, I would reach out to people on reddit that currently stream anything and they could help you figure out which VPN is best to use and how to further mask your IP.
Long story short, try slingtv for a month or two and see what channels you really get. If you get that channel on Dish tv, I'm willing to bet it is on slingtv for your area too.

Using a fake proxy or VPN works best on a computer. You can get a VPN for a small fee from a host of sites that offer them, but the problem you would have is that using a VPN to hide your IP slows your connection considerably. Specially if you want to siphone the signal to a wireless device.

Using the latter is reccomended as it does everything for you. Setting up a proxy yourself would have you dealing with manually messing with the router and changing your DNS which can really screw up your network if you dont know what you're doing.

Something you should know it's that it also depends on the folks at MLB. It all depends on how lax or how hard they are on cracking on the services that provide the said VPNs. A lot of streaming services like Netflix are now blocking 90+ percent of the companies that provide VPN premium connections.

I would look into slingtv. I just got it and I get all the AZ Diamondbacks and Coyotes games on Fox Sports Arizona. I also get FS1, FS2, NBCSN, as well as other channels all for only $25 a month. You can download the slingtv app on almost any device. I use a Roku (they have a deal on the slingtv website to get one for half off) for my big screen tv, and I also have the app on my laptop if I go anywhere. I would email slingtv to find out if they carry the channel you want because the channels they listed as being availble in my area did not match the channels that I currently get. I.e. they didn't list FS AZ as being available, but I get it.

To mask your IP, you need a VPN. VPNs are pretty cheap but they are still a monthly fee. You are probably better off just going to reddit and looking for the games on there. Either way, I would reach out to people on reddit that currently stream anything and they could help you figure out which VPN is best to use and how to further mask your IP.
Long story short, try slingtv for a month or two and see what channels you really get. If you get that channel on Dish tv, I'm willing to bet it is on slingtv for your area too.
No go on the SlingTV. I tried a month of them a while back. They don't offer our regional sports network, which is Root Sports Network. SlingTV does offer regional sports network through Fox Sports. That's probably why you can get yours.

My options are limited.

Using a fake proxy or VPN works best on a computer. You can get a VPN for a small fee from a host of sites that offer them, but the problem you would have is that using a VPN to hide your IP slows your connection considerably. Specially if you want to siphone the signal to a wireless device.

Using the latter is reccomended as it does everything for you. Setting up a proxy yourself would have you dealing with manually messing with the router and changing your DNS which can really screw up your network if you dont know what you're doing.

Something you should know it's that it also depends on the folks at MLB. It all depends on how lax or how hard they are on cracking on the services that provide the said VPNs. A lot of streaming services like Netflix are now blocking 90+ percent of the companies that provide VPN premium connections.
Yeah, I know what you're saying about what Netflix did. We used to change our location to grab content that wasn't available in the US. Eventually, that was stopped. No doubt that the NFL is probably more on top of that than Netflix. Looks like I'm probably screwed if I want to take in the local sports broadcasts. I sure wish Root Sports would offer a streaming service. I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom