Street Races?

That course they had in Baltimore produced some A+++ racing in IndyCar. I wanted to see stock cars on that so bad.
That course was great, the train crossing was my favorite part.

Politicians killed that one as what they were fine with in year 1 did not become fine in year 3, which is something else you have to deal with in street races that you don't with permanent facilities.

A little more than that. The first promoters really ****** the City of Baltimore over. Andretti came in and did a great job. They had to cancel 2014 and 2015, that was out of everyone's control. I think the riots a few years ago killed any chance of revival. That city is still dealing with the aftermath of that and a reputation problem, which sucks because Baltimore is a great city.

That event had more political support than most realize. Stephanie Rawlings-Blake was always on board with it, as was Governor O'Malley. SRB caught a ton of flack for it from the community though.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Cool, but it's never talked about. I know supermodifieds are up there...and that's about it. The only drivers I know of that came from the Pacific Northwest are Greg Biffle, some supermod guys, and the odd road racer. It's not an entirely dry region but compared to other parts of the country and what it produces that "makes it" nationally, it's on the low end.

Cool, but it's never talked about. I know supermodifieds are up there...and that's about it. The only drivers I know of that came from the Pacific Northwest are Greg Biffle, some supermod guys, and the odd road racer. It's not an entirely dry region but compared to other parts of the country and what it produces that "makes it" nationally, it's on the low end.
Kasey Kahne, Derrick Cope

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI
50 laps on a 4.048 mile road course (202.4 miles)

Time of race: 2:57:17
Average Speed: 68.501 mph
Pole Speed: 108.076 mph

Yellow flag at lap 28.
Green flag at lap 30.
Caution flag at lap 31.
Green flag at lap 34.
Caution flag at lap 38.
Green flag at lap 39.
Caution flag at lap 40.
Green flag at lap 42.
Caution flag at lap 46.
Green flag at lap 48.
Checkered flag at lap 50.

That's hell.

I think there have been a couple that have also suffered from green-white-checkered hell.

No local caution use for a track that size is idiotic.

Seattle - does anyone out there like racing? Honest question. The Northwest in general doesn't have much. There's also this nice track down in Portland that's right there in the city just about.

I've lived the last 15 years in Seattle then Portland. There is definitely a lower concentration of racing fans. I remember the first time I bumped into someone in the Seattle area at a non-racing function who knew what dirt late models, modifieds, and sprint cars were. We looked at each other like we were aliens meeting in a foreign galaxy. However, there are pockets of racing fans up here just as there are everywhere. The racing communities that do exist tend to be more tight knit, because it is more niche than in the southeastern U.S. for instance.

Portland International Raceway is indeed within the city of Portland, and is hosting IndyCar this year for the first time since 2007. There is a surprising amount of enthusiasm for this, and it is set up to succeed on a prime Labor Day weekend. I'd love to see them host a NASCAR race too, but the fan amenities and garage facilities frankly need considerable improvement to suit this.

This layout in the parking lot of Century Link Field, who says no?
62F7CEDC-1599-4C4C-B0F4-841A28E8F1E5.png

No please STOP. So many great road courses in this country that haven’t been butchered like many in Europe have and we want to race through the streets of San Antonio or something. Pass.

I dunno ..... I see Moto-GP racing on some damned nice European race tracks .. many of which make our stuff look like a podunk dirt track. Regularly drawing crowds of 100 thousand or more as well. We have very very few courses that are even close to being decent enough for Moto-GP to race on

I Don't like street courses. They are concrete canyons that prevent drivers from seeing around a corner; they mostly produce follow the leader parades. I used to like Long Beach but no longer. Miami had a good one a couple decades ago when IMSA prototypes ran there. City streets are designed for 30 mph with right angles and a crown in the center of the road. A twisty freeway might be better (like the one through downtown St Paul, MN) but no city would shut down a freeway except during the road construction season.

Pistone and Bagley had a segment in the show where they were asking if people would like the street course racing without prefacing that its not something being considered by NASCAR but something a stupid writer wrote an article about. The callers were bashing NASCAR and those two clowns didnt try to explain that it was hypothetical. Morons

I Don't like street courses. They are concrete canyons that prevent drivers from seeing around a corner; they mostly produce follow the leader parades. I used to like Long Beach but no longer. Miami had a good one a couple decades ago when IMSA prototypes ran there. City streets are designed for 30 mph with right angles and a crown in the center of the road. A twisty freeway might be better (like the one through downtown St Paul, MN) but no city would shut down a freeway except during the road construction season.
The Schuylkill Expressway outside of Philly be a fascinating race track.

I think that was discussed a long time ago and the weight of these cars would tear up the street
I'm not buying that. IndyCars "weigh" more than stock cars everywhere but pit road and slow corners, due to their high aerodynamic downforce versus the much lower downforce Cup cars generate. And IndyCar's slight reduction in downforce for 2018 doesn't change that.

Back
Top Bottom