Stremme Could Be First Part-Time Busch Series ROY

T

TonyB

Full Story at That's Racin'

Stremme stalking Gibbs in chase for rookie of year honors
Part-time driver trying to add another 'first'

By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

AVONDALE, Ariz. – In a NASCAR Busch Series season full of possible "firsts," David Stremme is attempting to add one more.
Stremme, splitting time with Winston Cup driver Jamie McMurray in James Finch's No. 1 Dodges, is closing in on the series rookie of the year points lead, despite running just 15 of the 34 races.

Entering Saturday's Bashas' Supermarkets 200 at Phoenix International Raceway (3 p.m. Eastern, TNT), Coy Gibbs leads Stremme 206-200 in the rookie standings.

Gibbs has competed in all 31 races and is 15th in series points. Stremme, in 15 starts, is 23rd in points. In 12 of his 15 races, Stremme has been the top-performing rookie.

Because of the rookie system's rules of counting only the top-16 finishes of each driver, Stremme's better finishes have produced the possibility of his becoming the first series driver to win rookie honors without running a full schedule.

"We need to be on a roll. We're going to Phoenix where, the first time I was there, I finished second there in a tour car," said Stremme, who will drive the No. 1 full time next season. "I'm looking forward to going back to the short tracks.

"We've just got to keep our team rolling. I'm learning a lot and we're gaining on the Raybestos rookie points."

Back
Top Bottom