Sunoco now?

17_Fan

This came from one of the newsletters I get in my e-mail....

Fuel Supplier Chosen? a correction UPDATE: it was reported earlier that
ExxonMobil had won the bid to become the official fuel supplier for NASCAR
next season, however, there was some changes [not sure what], and being told
that now that ExxonMobil has NOT signed with NASCAR, and remains one of
three companies vying for the fuel deal.(8-11-2003)
UPDATE: hearing it will be Sunoco and there will be an announcement at
MIS.(8-12-2003)

If its true its not much of a surprise, since Sunoco has a history in Nascar, they sponsored Terry Labonte in the #94 car back in the early 90's I believe. Or maybe late 80's, around that time.

Maybe they can use the video from Keven Harvick's pit fit as a promo for the new fuels! "Burns quicker than you can unwrap your hotdog"...take that any way you want. :p

They are a long time race fuel blender and also are the official spec fuel for Trans-Am....and my Grandfather used to work for Sun Oil. I'm ok with this move.

Originally posted by redrock@Aug 12 2003, 12:56 PM
Maybe they can use the video from Keven Harvick's pit fit as a promo for the new fuels! "Burns quicker than you can unwrap your hotdog"...take that any way you want. :p
:lol:

Update:

Sunoco will replace Union 76 as the official fuel of NASCAR's top three series, beginning in 2004.
An industry source, who spoke Thursday to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said Sunoco will supply all the fuel used in NASCAR's Winston Cup - which will become the Nextel Cup next year - Busch and Craftsman Truck Series.

NASCAR planned to make the announcement at a news conference Friday at Michigan International Speedway.

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., which notified NASCAR earlier this year that the sanctioning body was free to look for a new series sponsor to replace Winston. The situation was much the same with ConocoPhillips, owner of longtime fuel supplier 76, informing NASCAR it would not be continuing the relationship because of a shift in its marketing strategy and focus after the merger of the two companies last year.

The 76 brand, which had several different owners during the period, was the official fuel of NASCAR for more than 40 years.

The source said several other companies were interested in replacing 76, but NASCAR chose the Sunoco brand "because of its longtime racing involvement, supplying fuel for about 30 different racing series."

The deal with Sunoco is "long-term," but details were not immediately available.

Nextel reportedly will pay $40 million a year in rights fees and an additional $30 million a year promoting the series over the course of a 10-year deal.

RJR, which cited marketing restrictions and an uncertain business climate in the tobacco industry for leaving the sport, spent about $45 million a year through its Winston brand and sponsored the circuit for 32 years.

See!! Nascar is saving money already! All they have to do now is paint all the orange balls yellow & put a red arrow though them at all the tracks! No need to replace 'em! :D

Sun Motor Oils always been involve with Nascar since the mid 80's with sponserships for Terry Labonte and Streling Marlin in the Winston Cup Series and Jeff Fuller in the Busch Series for all the years. Plus Sun Motor Oil used to own 76 motoroil. Sunoco is going to be the replacement motoroil for Nascar

Announcement will be tommorrow on Speed at 10est I belive!

Back
Top Bottom