Taxpayer Funded Sports Facilities

who do you think funds public universities, the fairy godmother?

Halls of academia have nothing to do with taxpayer funded stadiums. I am not saying the topic is bad but it is in the wrong thread. Please start a thread on state funded colleges and leave this thread to its initial purpose. Thanks for your cooperation.

you need your head examined bud. Welcome to reality
Taxpayers footing the bill for college football stadium frenzy
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...bill-for-college-football-stadium-frenzy.html
Why students foot the bill for college sports, and how some are fighting back
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...f46b7df8483_story.html?utm_term=.38e3a51b5335

College Football: Public Universities Spend Millions On Stadiums, Despite Slim Chance For Payoff
But those schools are exceptions. Most public universities lose money on their athletic programs — and many have been running up ever-bigger debt to finance stadiums. The trend has occurred even though there is little evidence that football provides major revenue for expanding academic programs or reducing skyrocketing tuition. Instead, as college football has become a multibillion-dollar business demanding state-of-the-art facilities and massive coaching salaries, it is taxpayers and already debt-burdened students who ultimately pay the bill.
http://www.ibtimes.com/college-foot...millions-stadiums-despite-slim-chance-2258669

I didn't click the links as I don't care about stadiums that are publicly funded but the post is perfect as it addresses the thread's intention. For all those up in arms about this sort of thing have at it!

Tell ya what, when they elect you mod let me know ok? Until that time what I post and where I choose to post is for TRL to decide if it is out of order. ;) whatever your name is this week

Post what you want where you wish but the funding of public schools has nothing to do with this thread. Maybe I will start a straw man thread!

I went to Legion Field late in 2016 and it is, in fact, a certifiable dump in a bad part of Birmingham, and I would love for UAB to get some new digs, but an additional tax on auto leases seems a little peculiar.

I went to Legion Field late in 2016 and it is, in fact, a certifiable dump in a bad part of Birmingham, and I would love for UAB to get some new digs, but an additional tax on auto leases seems a little peculiar.
according to the mayor they are broke. But the same ol song and dance is used..revitalize the city. How so, low paying stadium jobs?

It does indeed. Using car rental and lodging taxes to fund projects is quite common, as it is a way for local governments to effectively shift the burden onto tourists rather than residents. But people who lease cars in Alabama likely live in Alabama, so it is an odd approach.

Holy Cow! Legion Field was a dump in the early 80's when Cliff Stoudt and the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL called it home!

according to the mayor they are broke. But the same ol song and dance is used..revitalize the city. How so, low paying stadium jobs?

As long as you don't stop into the local Toyota dealership to lease a nice shiny Tundra or spend the night at the Holiday Inn when in Birmingham I don't think it will cost you a dime.

Adali Trone said the project "is alienating the majority of the citizens of Birmingham."
"Who is this really for?" he asked. If it is for UAB, then it needs to be built at UAB, he said.

Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrane and Enos are in favor of the tax levy and are excited about the new building.

I was watching a piece on one of our local news stations about Nissan Stadium here in Nashville that was pretty interesting. Back in the late 90's when the stadium was built, a vote passed for taxpayers to fund half of the stadium's cost, which came out to around $144M. They were talking about the revenue that the Music City Bowl brings in, just that one game injects about $20M into Nashville's economy every year, and has pumped close to $270M into Nashville's economy since they started playing the game there. That's not to mention what the Titans games and all the concerts bring in. I think we got our $144M worth.

I was watching a piece on one of our local news stations about Nissan Stadium here in Nashville that was pretty interesting. Back in the late 90's when the stadium was built, a vote passed for taxpayers to fund half of the stadium's cost, which came out to around $144M. They were talking about the revenue that the Music City Bowl brings in, just that one game injects about $20M into Nashville's economy every year, and has pumped close to $270M into Nashville's economy since they started playing the game there. That's not to mention what the Titans games and all the concerts bring in. I think we got our $144M worth.

sure ya did
Nashville’s Nissan Stadium, Bridgestone Arena need $477M in upgrades, new reports say

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...need-477m-upgrades-new-reports-say/101829430/

got a couple more billionaires that want to soak the taxpayers also. One of them is worth 15 billion and the other a measly 5.3 billion
Nashville's Future MLS Team Has Two Billionaire Owners; Mayor Wants Taxpayers to Help Fund Stadium Anyway

sure ya did
Nashville’s Nissan Stadium, Bridgestone Arena need $477M in upgrades, new reports say

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...need-477m-upgrades-new-reports-say/101829430/

got a couple more billionaires that want to soak the taxpayers also. One of them is worth 15 billion and the other a measly 5.3 billion
Nashville's Future MLS Team Has Two Billionaire Owners; Mayor Wants Taxpayers to Help Fund Stadium Anyway
If the taxpayers vote for it, I don't see much of a problem. The bigger issue on the ballot here now is the $9 billion transit plan they're trying to pass.

It's the same old game, the unions all vote for it because it is a two year cushy job, the politicians scrape it off the top, that is always enough votes to get it done. Works every time.

Stop it right now! Your comments do not fit the narrative of this thread and are harmful to the agenda being pushed. We can't have that!..........

What do you think of the benefit Nissan Stadium has been for the city of Nashville SOI? There are stories like that all over the country.

Same thing for Raymond James. Entirely publicly funded, but one of the cheapest stadiums in the NFL and hosts everything like the Super Bowl, CFP National Championship Game, Outback Bowl, Supercross, Monster Jam, soccer USMNT/USWNT, concerts, and so on.

The proposed Rays' stadium and to a lesser extent a USF on-campus stadium are going to be much more controversial.

The Browns Are Already Talking About a New Stadium or Major Renovations
The team's current lease at FirstEnergy Stadium, which was hurriedly approved and built to welcome the expansion-era Browns in 1999, ends in 2029. The facility, paid for by a sin tax, is not exactly considered a great or even average stadium by NFL standards, and underwent $120 million in renovations three years ago. $30 million of that pricetag was covered by the city of Cleveland, paid off over 15 years.
If you're wondering where some of the public coin on the project might come from, because it will undoubtedly include taxpayer money: The county passed a quarter-percent sales tax increase in 2007, running for 20 years, to pay for the $450 million convention center and medical mart. It's not hard to imagine county officials selling the idea of keeping the increased rate beyond 2027 to chip in on whatever the Browns end up deciding, while telling voters it's not a new tax.

Back
Top Bottom