Team Orders

Zerkfitting

Team Owner
Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes will use team orders in 'special circumstances'

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39735743

The story points out how the team winning is the most important factor.

I've lost track how the rules affect team orders. The pit is/was limited to what they can say over the radio (which lead to code-talk). I though the teams generally had a primary and a secondary driver. It is so different from American racing where each team is out to win for their sponsor first and any team consideration is second.

I've never liked team orders - I was offended when Schumacher pulled over to let his teammate pass for the win at Indy (which was a returned favor for when his teammate did the same for him).

Most of the new limits on what the team can tell the driver was dropped last year. It's pretty much like it had been before the new rules were adopted. Team orders have been a part of F1 since the beginning, so I don't expect that to change. Us here in America are used to an "every man for himself" kind of racing, but that has changed a little, since the multi-car teams have become part of American racing. I don't really like it that much, in some cases, but I understand it. Mercedes is in a position that they haven't decided who their number one driver is. (at least that is what they claim) I'm sure they will give Hamilton the nod, even if they don't admit to it.

... It is so different from American racing where each team is out to win for their sponsor first and any team consideration is second. ...
Don't both cars on an F1 team have the same sponsor? That would explain at least part of that difference. Either car counts as a win for the sponsor.

I don't think neither Mercedes nor Ferrari will have to use them much this year considering how much better Hamilton and Vettel are than their teammates. I do wish Ferrari had used them at China though.

I don't think neither Mercedes nor Ferrari will have to use them much this year considering how much better Hamilton and Vettel are than their teammates. I do wish Ferrari had used them at China though.

How come Ferrari never has two great cars at the same time?

They usually have a lame driver driving one of their cars that is always midpack while the main driver is top 3.

How come Ferrari never has two great cars at the same time?

They usually have a lame driver driving one of their cars that is always midpack while the main driver is top 3.
Ferrari usually care more about the WCC than the WDC, or if they do want the WDC they want a distinct #2 who can support their #1. I don't think they want to deal with a situation that Mercedes and McLaren have had in the past. Kimi and Vettel work well together and it makes for a better environment. They don't have a super dominant car like they did in the early 2000s so they can't really afford to have a slacker these days, but fortunately for them, Bottas is a decent matchup for Kimi so it should still be a pretty even fight this year.

I'm not a fan of Vettel but I respect his decision to ignore team orders and pass Webber for the win back when both of them were racing for Red Bull. If you're faster than the car in front of you then the team has no right to tell you to hold back. **** team orders.

Back
Top Bottom