Team Penske DPi program

Discussion in 'Sports Car Racing' started by FLRacingFan, Feb 14, 2017.

1. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

One of the worst-kept secrets in a while, right up there with the CGR/Ford GT program, confirmed by Tim Cindric. Most likely to be an Acura/Honda-ORECA effort.

Full: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138173-penske-honda-imsa-dpi-expected-in-2018

2. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle.

Oh **** yeah

3. Doc Austin

Doc Austin Team Extreme Flight

This is really good news, but don't get too excited just yet. Their Daytona Prototype program never scored a win, so I don't think they are going to walk in and start winning right away.

Still, we need cars and a high profile team like Penske will only help the series' visibility.

The Rolex was so good that the new cars have already proven to be quite racy. This is only going to get better as the teams get the cars figured out and the series gets the bop right. Right now the Caddy has a bit of an advantage but they have been hit with a bop adjustment.

My bet is on the Riley Gibson to be really fast at Sebring. The car ran well at Daytona in spite of being bog slow on the straight, and their extra downforce will really help them when they get to the slower tracks.

4. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Heard on the Marshall Pruett Podcast from 3/02 that JPM has signed a multiyear (possibly three years) extension with Team Penske, presumably to lead the DPi program. Nothing official yet though.

LouieLouie likes this.
  5. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

6. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

LouieLouie likes this.
  7. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Team Owner

Charlie Spencer and FLRacingFan like this.
  8. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

9. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Team Owner

Man, IMSA is doing something right. They have so many manufacturers and are attracting new teams at a time when auto racing is on a downslope. Can't wait to see what happens when auto racing starts becoming more popular again.

10. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

As a fan, I think it is the blend of classes. You can watch cars specifically built to race AND you can watch cars modified for racing but still have much in common with their street car counterparts (including the body style). Much as I love NASCAR, there's little 'stock' left in 'stock cars', and the cars have rarely been well-suited as purely race vehicles.

As a manufacturer, I'm not restricted to developing an irrelevant RWD system and pretending I'm putting it an sedan. I can use cars I actually sell, leveraging the old 'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday' philosophy.

11. Hotrod

Hotrod Team Owner

That will be fun to watch. Hopefully they will
    be able to create the same lightening in a bottle like they
    they did in the early 90's when they were IMSA Lites Champions
    with Parker Johnstone.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  12. Doc Austin

They are also doing a big wrong that's going to hurt them in the long run. They are not requiring manufacturers to sell cars to privateers. Sure, privateers can buy P2 cars, but how many of those have ever won against a DPI? Maybe it's a matter of getting the BOP right, but when they do the manufacturers are going to look rather poorly on getting beat by no-name chassis with a no name motors. How do you think Cadillac is going to react when a no-name P2 car derails their perfect season?

Mazda isn't going to spend all that money if they keep getting beat by an Oreca or Riley-Gibson. That plays badly at the board meetings on Monday mornings. History is full of manufacturers pulling the plug the moment they can't win any more.

Add to that, how do you balance a manufacturer class (DPI) and a privateer class (P2)? Is the inequity in the equipment or the teams? Do you penalize the DPI manufacturers (who are spending tons) to keep the privateers (who are spending considerably less) in the fight? This is as unfair to the manufacturers as it is to the privateers who won't be able to buy competitive equipment. You can't balance that. All you can do is assure equal access, and then a good privateer can win if they out-execute the factory teams.

Also remember that manufacturers have always and will always come and go on a whim. They drive the cost of competing through the roof, and all is fine as long as they are winning. When that stops, suddenly it becomes "too expensive," sort of like that magnificent four car LMP1 field we have in the WEC.

To have a truly healthy series we need manufacturers, but we also need to keep the privateers in the game and competitive. IMSA needs to require each manufacturer to supply (or sell) a certain amount of cars to privateers. Otherwise we will end up with an all manufacture series that is subject to their demands, and the possibility (probability) they will bail when things get a little rough for them.

Even if the privateers remain long-shots, at least with equal access to equipment they will have enough of a chance to win that they will stay in the game, and that means fuller fields. Once the manufacturers get rolling, no P2 privateer team will have even a remote chance, and you cant expect them to hang around with those sort of odds.

It's like a lot of other things. Model aviation is in the doldrums because the kids don't think it's cool any more. They are more interested in what's on their cell phones that anything that's real, and this is showing up with less guys at the field (with more and more hobby shops closing up), especially with the guys who grew up flying model airplanes now dying off.

Auto racing is facing the same thing, compounded by the climate changers decreeing cars as evil, uncool, and the great destroyer of the planet. Hell, kids don't even want a car any more because they would rather ride and peer at their phone. Sometimes I watch these kids and they are so glued to their device they don't even notice girls. How twisted is that?

I don't thing there is anything wrong enough with auto racing to make it unpopular. I just think people are changing and they are more interested in their matrix interface.

13. Charlie Spencer

I assume drones are filling the model aviation niche these days.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  14. Doc Austin

Yeah, they are killing us, and all the attention has the FAA on our backs............ not what we needed.

15. Charlie Spencer

Hey, I know it's awfully early, but has anyone heard anything about drivers yet? I ask because today's Xfinity race at Mid-Ohio reminded me that Roger still has a good working relationship with Sam Hornish Jr.

Just a stray thought.

16. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

This isn't confirmed or anything but what I've seen from a couple of writers is that two full-time drivers will be chosen by Penske (JPM, Helio most likely) and two will be chosen by HPD. But who knows. And then you still have the NAEC seats to fill.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  17. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

18. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

19. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner