Teams could be limited to three charters

If I were a current charter holder, I'd take this under two conditions:

1) Charters are made permanent.
2) Remove the four-car limit on the number of cars I can field. Let me run as many non-chartered teams as I want.

HMS and JGR would be grandfathered, but SHR isn't explicitly mentioned? More indirect confirmation they'll be unloading at least one charter.

I also wonder if it’s one of those “Grandfathered in.” Situation where they will have to eventually get down to 3. Like give them 2-3 seasons or something. For JGR it probably be easy. MTJ definitely is retiring sometime some I’m sure. HMS however, all their drivers I’m sure have some time left. I’m sure Bowman would be the man out if it were to come to that.

Reactions: Pat
I also wonder if it’s one of those “Grandfathered in.” Situation where they will have to eventually get down to 3. Like give them 2-3 seasons or something. For JGR it probably be easy. MTJ definitely is retiring sometime some I’m sure. HMS however, all their drivers I’m sure have some time left. I’m sure Bowman would be the man out if it were to come to that.
I'm waiting on comments from those who forgot when the four-car limit was imposed.

I wonder if smaller teams will make it easier for a new manufacturer to find someone willing to jump ship. It would certainly reduce a manu's pain to lose a three-car team vs. a four-car, a la SHR from Chevy to Ford.

I'm waiting on comments from those who forgot when the four-car limit was imposed.

I wonder if smaller teams will make it easier for a new manufacturer to find someone willing to jump ship. It would certainly reduce a manu's pain to lose a three-car team vs. a four-car, a la SHR from Chevy to Ford.
I slightly remember it, but not fully. I know Roush was over the limit, but can’t remember if they were given time to get down to 4, or had to do it right away lol.

But I would love to see some new manufacturers or hell, maybe even a whole new team as well.

Reactions: Pat

They didn't "grandfather" Roush in. He had to drop a team.

If we are going off of on track performance, then I would have to agree with you. But off-track duties and sponsors carry a lot of weight when making that type of decision. If Ally guaranteed they will stay with Bowman for an X number of years and Byrons sponsors will not. Then they would probably get rid of him and move Rudy over to the 48 team... and then I have a feeling you would see the on-track performance and result's turn around immediately. JMO

If we are going off of on track performance, then I would have to agree with you. But off-track duties and sponsors carry a lot of weight when making that type of decision. If Ally guaranteed they will stay with Bowman for an X number of years and Byrons sponsors will not. Then they would probably get rid of him and move Rudy over to the 48 team... and then I have a feeling you would see the on-track performance and result's turn around immediately. JMO
Oh 100% sponsors will play a huge part in this also.

Bowman ain’t going anywhere. Ally loves him.

Bowman ain’t going anywhere. Ally loves him.
Thats kind of the vibe I got too. Which I 100% can understand why. He is a great clean cut young man with a lot of good values, and he does whatever he can for his sponsors. He has proven over and over again that if he gets a decent car, he can run up front and win races. But unfortunately, the performance just hasn't been there lately for whatever the reasons may be.

I mean, maybe we’ll see. We gotta find out if they will even be forced down to 3 at some point or if this doesn’t even happen all together.
Grandfathered in tells me they won’t.

NASCAR won’t do that to Hendrick or Gibbs. Both teams have been around too long.

Highly unlikely that Hendrick would get rid of Byron. They gonna dump the 24 car too then?

Buying an expired trademark as a 'Just in case' investment is relatively cheap, as is keeping the TM actively licensed. Jr. probably spends more on electricity for Dirty Mo productions.

He’ll make a killing off of throwback merch too, no brainer move.

Okay, why? Thanks!

Because it's completely unnecessary, and it penalizes teams like Hendrick and Gibbs that have the resources to contribute and are willing to spend the money to field four competitive teams. Sure, they might be "grandfathered" in at four, but how long will that clause last?

We have a 36 car field, with one or two occasional non-charter teams competing. Plenty of room for more. If the demand for charters continues to outweigh the supply, they can simply expand the charters to 40 at an agreed upon value that benefits literally everyone.

Highly unlikely that Hendrick would get rid of Byron. They gonna dump the 24 car too then?
We were just speculating; I don't really see that happening. But that being said, they wouldn't necessarily have to get rid of the 24 car. They could dissolve the 48 team and move Bowman to the 24 team. He has already driven the 88 and 48 so the 24 wouldn't be a big move. :D

We were just speculating; I don't really see that happening. But that being said, they wouldn't necessarily have to get rid of the 24 car. They could dissolve the 48 team and move Bowman to the 24 team. He has already driven the 88 and 48 so the 24 wouldn't be a big move. :D

The 48 car has won more championships than the 24. Hendrick is not dissolving the 48.

Good grief. They’re vinyl numbers applied to composite body panels, not tattoos on human flesh.

How many HMS employees remain from Junior’s time there?

Good grief. They’re vinyl numbers applied to composite body panels, not tattoos on human flesh.

How many HMS employees remain from Junior’s time there?
I dunno. Check the HMS website

Back
Top Bottom