Texaco/Havoline back to Yates??

H

HardScrabble

A sponsor in search of an owner?? Not really, but this could get interesting.

Yates still might field 3 teams in '03
The Associated Press

DARLINGTON, S.C. - There's still a slight possibility Robert Yates could be forced to field three teams next season if sponsor Chevron/Texaco opts out of an agreement with Chip Ganassi Racing.
Chevron, which currently sponsors the No. 28 Ford that Ricky Rudd drives for Yates, is believed to be moving to Ganassi next season to fund a third entry.

But Yates said the deal had a clause that allowed the sponsor to go back to him if the Ganassi entry did not shape up to its liking. Because there's such a slim pool of available drivers for Ganassi to pick from, that could happen.

The deadline is this week, Yates said.

"There is a return date in which they have to make up their mind," Yates said. "But I think they are pleased with Chip and it's just a matter of finding a driver."

Yates is firm in that he only wants to field two cars next season. Elliott Sadler is stepping into the ride Rudd currently drives and M&M's will sponsor it. So Yates tried to get out of his deal with Texaco a year early, freeing the company to sign with Ganassi.

Ganassi officials have not confirmed that they have made a sponsorship deal with Texaco, but have admitted they want to field three teams next season.

I hope they stay with RYR. Seeing the #28 Havoline go to another team just seems wierd. I would like to see a Busch driver (Riggs) take that ride for Yates.

Well 66, I can pretty much assure you that a young gun will take that ride, considering the sudden outbreak of young gun fever.

This is nuts. Never have I seen a sponsor being tossed around like this before.

They lost Rudd, which they must not be too pleased about, if they go back to Yates, Yates will basically just start a new team for them that might not even run that well, so who knows what is going to finally happen. This is a roller coaster of a rumor I'd like to come to a rest.

I say bring Casey Atwood over to the Yates family and let him drive the Texaco/Havoline car. Bet he'd be ok in it.

Back
Top Bottom