Texas Bonehead

Apparently that question came from someone that's never watched a race. How would you lift BOTH rear tires off the ground with one jack that allows the suspension to droop? Must droop or can't get tires out of wheel wells. I suppose they could add a jack post under rear of frame but it would require a jack that lifts much further than the current. If doing one side at a time...ummmm? They now do front and rear in same time it takes to do one end. Just a stupid question. Yes it's possible to ask a stupid question.
How?

Stupid answer. Two jacks.

Not sure why Harvick always has to have 4 new tires, even if he only has a handful of laps on the old ones. Puts him back in traffic every time where he seems to get stuck.
He is old school still following Dale's methods even though the cars and tires are different. With no practice etc teams don't get a chance to make long runs to test the car/tires.

Not a cup race but: Bob Senneker won an ASA rules type of race in 1980s with a pit stop for rear tires only.
Senneker obviously knows about racing than I could ever dream of knowing but I would always want a new right front on almost any tire change at a short track. He had to be incredibly smooth entering the corners and all about exit speed to make it work.

Note: I did not see the pit stop. My bother saw the race and pit stop at the old Jeffco speedway in Georgia.
Trickle did it at I 40 and won back in '79. Sauter (the Dad) did it at the State Fair gorunds in St. Paul... do not know if it was an ARTGO or ASA. Then ask Rusty...he did in Nashville.

Not sure why Harvick always has to have 4 new tires, even if he only has a handful of laps on the old ones. Puts him back in traffic every time where he seems to get stuck.
Kurt is the same way. I saw him take two yesterday and it's been quite a while since I remember him doing that. It's frustrating sometimes but guess he knows what he needs. He has so many races that he'll be running mid-pack for a lot of the race but squeezes out decent finishes. Sure it works for others too, but Kurt is who I watch so...

I was annoyed at Almirola for a while but he fixed that.

The young guy in the Starcom car is one of a handful of drivers at the back of the field that are 5 or 6 laps down after 300 miles. Maybe minimum speed is too low.

Just my opinion, of course ... the maybe was in jest.

True.

Maybe the RTA could find a way to incentivize the car owners. It’s not all on the drivers.
I've thought about that a couple of times. Ideally it would work like European soccer leagues. Teams that aren't performing well are send down to Xfinity, and good X team get promoted to Cup. Obviously, that whole sponsorship thingie gets in the way, along with recognizing that some X teams aren't interested in running in the top series.

And if you send the Houffs to X, where do you get their replacements?

I was annoyed at Almirola for a while but he fixed that.

The young guy in the Starcom car is one of a handful of drivers at the back of the field that are 5 or 6 laps down after 300 miles. Maybe minimum speed is too low.

Just my opinion, of course ... the maybe was in jest.
I agree with min. speed being to low. I know in the past great cars and drivers have come back from multiple laps down BUT that isn't going to happen with these young drivers. Cars that go 4 laps down should be removed from the race. That is the only incentive for these teams to get better.

Cars that go 4 laps down should be removed from the race.
A case could be made that these cars are out there showing their sponsor's brands, and that removing them would be damaging to the overall sponsorship model. They can also gain positions if a car two laps down goes out; it happens after 'Big Ones' regularly.

On the other hand, there's almost no one in the stands to see bottom-tier teams, and the only time TV shows them is when they screw up, so it's questionable how much visibility the sponsors are getting.

As my bro-in-law says with a straight face and unquestionable sincerity, "I feel strongly both ways." I'd certainly have no objections to parking a car that's so many laps down that it can no longer gain any positions in the laps remaining.

Cars that go 4 laps down should be removed from the race.
I will politely disagree...was it not so long ago that one driver was down six laps in the beginning of the race, stuck with it and ended up on the lead lap after the final caution? Love that kind of grit....

Houff for pulling off the freeway without looking.

honorable mention: Almirola blend line violation from the lead, after seeing Allgaier do the exact same thing the day before. Then quarter panneling Kyle.

I've thought about that a couple of times. Ideally it would work like European soccer leagues. Teams that aren't performing well are send down to Xfinity, and good X team get promoted to Cup. Obviously, that whole sponsorship thingie gets in the way, along with recognizing that some X teams aren't interested in running in the top series.

And if you send the Houffs to X, where do you get their replacements?
That won't work. You can't compare racing to stick and ball sports.

Retired, but one eye open. My question is, when and with whom he'll be back.
anything is possible. He could have had a non competitive agreement in his contract, but he sure hasn't disappeared off the face of the earth like Carl did and he is keeping his toe in the water. I can't help but think if he was on the 19 team they would be doing a hell of a lot better than they are.

Back
Top Bottom