That Jones Boy

Fordracing7

2018 Pick em Champion
Kid does a good job he usually takes care of his stuff and he put himself in a position to win Saturday night, good job! Plus his hat he was wearing Saturday night was bad ass I want one. Lol. And don't call me a hypocrite as many of you know my daily driver is a Toyota LOL.

Ditto!
Prior to the last restart I was thinking Jones needed to go three wide on the top
didn't do it on restart but eventually did with a push from Buescher

Glad to see the Jones boy get his own thread. Hopefully he can keep it going and keep the thread alive.

I was blown away at him being at the right place from flag to flag, he was extremely patient and didn't force anything

We knew his first win was coming soon, but did any of us expect it to come at a restrictor-plate track? Jones had DNF'ed in almost all of his Cup starts at plate tracks until his win Saturday. Pretty cool stuff. Can't wait to see how he fares at Bristol and Texas, two of his favorite tracks.

Yes, nice to see Jone's get his first Cup win.

We knew his first win was coming soon, but did any of us expect it to come at a restrictor-plate track? Jones had DNF'ed in almost all of his Cup starts at plate tracks until his win Saturday. Pretty cool stuff. Can't wait to see how he fares at Bristol and Texas, two of his favorite tracks.

I didn't think a win was coming soon, or for Elliott or Suarez either, they really haven't been doing much with the equipment and backing they have, but it is a tough sport, not much room at the top. Jones boy got him one.

In defense of Suarez, I have a feeling his team suffers from what Joey went through. No co-operation from 11 and 18. To much ego there and Joe likes bullies.

Chase is doing just fine for a non aggressive driver. Once HMS gets the Chevy performing, Chase will get his wins and he will get a little more aggressive.

I think Jones got his win because he backed off being so aggressive and raced smarter like a plate racer has to.

In defense of Suarez, I have a feeling his team suffers from what Joey went through. No co-operation from 11 and 18. To much ego there and Joe likes bullies.

Chase is doing just fine for a non aggressive driver. Once HMS gets the Chevy performing, Chase will get his wins and he will get a little more aggressive.

I think Jones got his win because he backed off being so aggressive and raced smarter like a plate racer has to.

Rowdy has been busy finding talent like Jones and providing him with equipment to win a truck championship.

He answers your question within his post. Remember Joey's Cup tenure at JGR? Yeah, most of us had become convinced that he was a bust.

I have never heard Joey say anything about his former teammates. Have you? I have heard Daniel Suarez talk about what a huge help KB is. I think many make **** up around here in terms of JGR cohesiveness.

https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/press-pass/hamlin-kyle-busch-guy-just-mature/

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/0...eager-to-learn-teammate-daniel-suarez-no-mas/

Think somebody already posted KB's Erik tweet as well. Looks like all is good, but what fun is that?

Last edited:
I have never heard Joey say anything about his former teammates. Have you? I have heard Daniel Suarez talk about what a huge help KB is. I think many make sh!t up around here in terms of JGR cohesiveness.

https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/press-pass/hamlin-kyle-busch-guy-just-mature/

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/0...eager-to-learn-teammate-daniel-suarez-no-mas/

Think somebody already posted KB's Erik tweet as well. Looks like all is good, but what fun is that?

I am glad that Joey doesn't trash talk JGR. They gave him a great opportunity.
But every time I heard Greg Zipadelli on the radio with him it was full of condescension. I did not make it a point to routinely follow the chatter, so I can't claim to have studied the case or have your knowledge of JGR .
It was just something I could not help but notice.

My impression was that Zipadelli went from dealing with Tony Stewart to a kid that was young and lacking the confidence, and Zipadelli just didn't have the same respect for him. I also think once Joey got some confidence at Penske it was like a boy coming of age and transforming into a man.

Hamlin definitely wanted to bully Lagano immediately after leaving JGR and joining Penske. I think he believed he was dealing a kid who hadn't earned the respect. And to be fair it wasn't just from JGR, Stewart and Harvick displayed the same attitude over the time span.

Lagano isn't one of my favorites but watching his evolution and development in the cup series has been a fun story to watch. I think he has done well and shown some perseverance.

But every time I heard Greg Zipadelli on the radio with him it was full of condescension. I did not make it a point to routinely follow the chatter, so I can't claim to have studied the case or have your knowledge of JGR .

My impression was that Zipadelli went from dealing with Tony Stewart to a kid that was young and lacking the confidence, and Zipadelli just didn't have the same respect for him. I also think once Joey got some confidence at Penske it was like a boy coming of age and transforming into a man.

Hamlin definitely wanted to bully Lagano immediately after leaving JGR and joining Penske. I think he believed he was dealing a kid who hadn't earned the respect. And to be fair it wasn't just from JGR, Stewart and Harvick displayed the same attitude over the time span.

Lagano isn't one of my favorites but watching his evolution and development in the cup series has been a fun story to watch. I think he has done well and shown some perseverance.

Excellent post. I would agree with all of this.

Rowdy has been busy finding talent like Jones and providing him with equipment to win a truck championship.
Your quite right and so far he has done a great job at picking talent. Kudos to him for that. I also understand that much of his support comes from Toyota and JGR so his equipment is top notch.
Once he can't run in trucks to pad his win total, will he continue doing that or will he follow Harvick and sell the team.

Your quite right and so far he has done a great job at picking talent. Kudos to him for that. I also understand that much of his support comes from Toyota and JGR so his equipment is top notch.
Once he can't run in trucks to pad his win total, will he continue doing that or will he follow Harvick and sell the team.

KBM is successful

I completely agree and I do think Zippy was the main problem for Joey. I notice Zippy never crewed for another driver after that, not even when Tony was in need of one himself.

KBM is successful
That they are and so was Harvick's truck team without Harvick driving.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ makes a big difference at that level.
Brad's team was also doing pretty good and some of his divers have moved up to Xfinity as well.
However Brad didn't have the level of support that Kyle does and when Ford quit Brad had to shut down. He watched his parents go bankrupt trying to compete with their own funds.

I completely agree and I do think Zippy was the main problem for Joey. I notice Zippy never crewed for another driver after that, not even when Tony was in need of one himself.
No longer being a CC may be Zipadelli's choice. At least that's my opinion. He won titles with Stewart and has to have a lot of credibility.

No longer being a CC may be Zipadelli's choice. At least that's my opinion. He won titles with Stewart and has to have a lot of credibility.
Yes he did and I give credit to Tony for much of it. If I remember right, Tony's wins came spring and fall but seldom during hot weather.

Yes he did and I give credit to Tony for much of it. If I remember right, Tony's wins came spring and fall but seldom during hot weather.

That was probably true with Darrien Grubb as well.

Logano is a great racer but I believe Keselowski had a lot to do with helping him hone his talent.

Harvick said that KB was going bankrupt....and then Harvick was gone. KBM is still here.

It's pretty simple math Toyota is the reason why KBM is still around. They invested more than Ford and GM did in the truck series. That's the simple truth. Good job by them.

It's pretty simple math Toyota is the reason why KBM is still around. They invested more than Ford and GM did in the truck series. That's the simple truth. Good job by them.

Absolutely. I have always believed that Toyota and their support of KBM was part of KB's last contract negotiation, and will continue to be so in the future. KB is the winningest Toyota driver obviously, and an absolute asset to the company. So much so that Toyota/TRD is willing to look past his over exuberance from time to time to keep an eye on the greater good. Brad was not able to coax the same level of support from Ford Performance, and Harvick's loyalty to Chevy didn't stand the test of time.

Harvick said that KB was going bankrupt....and then Harvick was gone. KBM is still here.
Because of TDR and JGR. Had to shut down the Xfinity team because of lack of sponsorship
OR JGR Pressure.

It's been tough on ol Kyle. The truck series went with a natural, organic engine, limited his cheap number wins in the series, and now the Chevys of GMS are kicking butt, and Toyota lost the four truck yoda team of Thorsport to Ford. Toyota must have cut his funding.

Because of TDR and JGR. Had to shut down the Xfinity team because of lack of sponsorship
OR JGR Pressure.
Because of TRD and JGR? Absolutely. Xfinity was a sponsorship issue, and JGR made him a better deal. Interesting that KB was able to develop relationships within his manufacturer to keep his company alive during a really difficult time, and these other drivers weren't seen as the assets to their respective manufactures in the way KB is.
natural, organic engine
LOL. Waxing poetic about a spec motor.
Toyota must have cut his funding
Doubt it.

Because of TRD and JGR? Absolutely. Xfinity was a sponsorship issue, and JGR made him a better deal. Interesting that KB was able to develop relationships within his manufacturer to keep his company alive during a really difficult time, and these other drivers weren't seen as the assets to their respective manufactures in the way KB is.
It looks like Toyota will go the extra mile in helping keep the truck team going. Sure helps the search for young talent. I THINK GM relies on HMS to much and I don't see Ford making any effort. They shut down Brad K and Roush has had no luck at all with new drivers since Carl.

That is a great story /tale . Busch started that Xfinity team because he was hanging by the skin of his teeth at Gibbs and about to lose his M&M sponsor in the cup series because of his insane actions with Hornaday in the trucks series among other things leading up to that.. He was in direct competition with the preacher in the Xfinity series. Anybody find that a bit strange? Goes to credibility.

It looks like Toyota will go the extra mile in helping keep the truck team going. Sure helps the search for young talent. I THINK GM relies on HMS to much and I don't see Ford making any effort. They shut down Brad K and Roush has had no luck at all with new drivers since Carl.

Yes, I agree. TRD/Toyota will absolutely keep the KBM Truck team going. David Wilson hates the spec motor deal IMO, but gave way to keep KBM as a vital cog in TRD's Driver Development Program. This is a huge initiative for David. Speaks to why Erik Jones' win was so huge to Toyota.

That is a great story /tale. Busch started that Xfinity team because he was hanging by the skin of his teeth at Gibbs and about to lose his M&M sponsor in the cup series because of his insane actions with Hornaday in the trucks series among other things leading up to that.. He was in direct competition with the preacher in the Xfinity series. Anybody find that a bit strange? Goes to credibility.

The View has nothing on you. This post is hilarious. Really.

I have never heard Joey say anything about his former teammates. Have you? I have heard Daniel Suarez talk about what a huge help KB is. I think many make sh!t up around here in terms of JGR cohesiveness.

As much as I dislike Joey, I am not gonna say that he did not get the short end of the stick at JGR. His results paled in comparison to the other guys, and then, all of a sudden, his talent at the Cup level quadruples as soon as he lands a ride with Penske? I don't think so. I don't think that was just a coincidence. He had the talent all along, much like my guy, but got the short end of the stick more often than not. No, it was not all harmonious when he was there with DH and KB, and definitely has not been in the wake of his JGR departure.

You're right about Daniel Suarez and Erik Jones. They have both spoken highly of how helpful Kyle Busch is. I remember an interview from last year with Suarez, the one you posted in fact, in which he detailed how Kyle was the guy who helped him with setups from track-to-track on the Xfinity side as a rookie before Kyle finally told him for many of the second-go-rounds that he needed to adapt himself to those tracks.

Their cohesiveness may be shining brilliantly now, but there was a time when things were not so harmonious.

Back
Top Bottom