The Announcers Thread

Watch some Truck races on SPEED and then watch Allen's races on NBC. There's a clear difference and it likely comes down to production. I imagine he's told by his bosses what he needs to emphasize and the level of excitement he needs to communicate to the audience.
I've listened to plenty of truck races with Rick Allen. Nothing special, still yells, still knows little but the printed word he reads about the drivers and the racing. Leigh Diffey knows even less than Rick does about Nascar.

And Leigh Diffey yells too

Or an indication that Rick Allen may be going to Amazon or TNT, or possibly even back to Fox.

Or both.
Rick Allen should be launched to minor league baseball, some obscure wrestling promotion or maybe the ESPN Cornhole championships…..some where far far away after his cameo during the 24 season is concluded as to not ruin my viewing nascar experience ever again. He’s probably the worst racing announcer I’ve ever heard. I’m not that high on Diffey either but at least it’s not Rick.

Rick Allen should be launched to minor league baseball, some obscure wrestling promotion or maybe the ESPN Cornhole championships…..some where far far away after his cameo during the 24 season is concluded as to not ruin my viewing nascar experience ever again. He’s probably the worst racing announcer I’ve ever heard. I’m not that high on Diffey either but at least it’s not Rick.
Repetitive. Gets lost in the middle of sentences. Makes calls like he isn’t even watching the race. I cannot stand Rick Allen. I’d even rather have Vince Welch or Bill Weber and they suck too.

Never forget Chase Energy and Aggressive Goes Around

Yeah, good idea. It needs to be something simple, like cornhole or bowling.

I didnt even know Fox was interested in IndyCar broadcast rights.
They’re reportedly making a big push for the next TV deal. Not a done deal yet but it sounds a little more likely with each development. With how the NASCAR schedules are likely to shake out they’re probably losing the Coke 600 and would pick up the Indy 500 instead.

They’re reportedly making a big push for the next TV deal. Not a done deal yet but it sounds a little more likely with each development. With how the NASCAR schedules are likely to shake out they’re probably losing the Coke 600 and would pick up the Indy 500 instead.
I can't wait to see AJ as a comic book superhero.

I liked Rick Allen....but Diffey will be fine.

It’s still a massive shame we have Fox for the next 7 years. They are beyond awful. Missed the final restart because of their “artistic” camera work. The replays of the Larson spin were laughable. They missed Larson beating Truex off pit road and finally showed it like 5 laps later in a replay. Clint Bowyer is a clown. It’s borderline unwatchable and I’ll take Jeff Burton’s screeching over this any day.

Bowyer didn't have a good night. Harvick had to correct him a few times.
Yeah, well, Harvick had Logono in the Numberr 22 Hunt Brothers Carmry I think. Harvick is very good until he tries to play like Clint.

Anyone else think when Harvick and Bowyer try to joke around they just sound nasty towards each other?

Hard to tell sometimes, but I kind of get that vibe as well.

That's one reason why I never liked Wally Dallenbach. There were times he seemed like a prick to Benny Parsons when they were in the booth, and BP is the last person on earth anyone should ever disrespect. Although maybe I was just imagining that, idk

I think so many people that complain about the coverage fail to realize how hard motorsports is to cover.

The playing field is huge compared to stick and ball. You do realize you can get something like 14 football fields inside Talladega?

There's literally like 20 different games going on at once. Stick and ball has one center of action at a time (the ball).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I think so many people that complain about the coverage fail to realize how hard motorsports is to cover.

The playing field is huge compared to stick and ball. You do realize you can get something like 14 football fields inside Talladega?

There's literally like 20 different games going on at once. Stick and ball has one center of action at a time (the ball).

If you are a constant complainer, it's easy pickings.

Here's the problem with this thinking though.

The coverage has objectively regressed over the past 10-15 years. I'm not gonna give the "Bob, Ned and Benny" speech because, honestly, Fox in the early-2000s blew anything CBS and ESPN did out of the water and still holds up today.

As for how much is required, Fox had something like 30 cameras for the Los Angeles race and still missed everything. Especially with the amount of cameras they had dedicated to that race that were for everything but the race.

The coverage has objectively regressed over the past 10-15 years. I'm not gonna give the "Bob, Ned and Benny" speech because, honestly, Fox in the early-2000s blew anything CBS and ESPN did out of the water and still holds up today.

As for how much is required, Fox had something like 30 cameras for the Los Angeles race and still missed everything. Especially with the amount of cameras they had dedicated to that race that were for everything but the race.
Exactly. It hasn’t been like this forever. Go watch a broadcast from a Fox race from 2001-2012 or so and then tell me today’s coverage is good.

Go back and watch some of those broadcasts. The "good old days" weren't quite as good as most people remember.

Excluding the booth crew, NBC does a better job across the board. They make better decisions regarding which camera to show, which graphics to use, how much of the field to show, etc. My understanding is both networks use the same technical assets and production crew, NBC just utilizes them better.

Excluding the booth crew, NBC does a better job across the board. They make better decisions regarding which camera to show, which graphics to use, how much of the field to show, etc. My understanding is both networks use the same technical assets and production crew, NBC just utilizes them better.
They have different directors and production trucks. Camera people and others are the same from beginning to end.

I can put up with a lot of things as long as I am not being fed constant false drama and non stop high pitched fake excitement screaming voices telling me repeatedly what I can see.

At this time, I'll take FOX over NBC any day of the week for calling Nascar races via TV. Are they the end all of broadcasters? Better than most for sure.

Heck if they had a way to synchronize the MRN broadcast with the Fox or NBC TV broadcast, all them boys in the booths would be looking for jobs.:booya:

I can put up with a lot of things as long as I am not being fed constant false drama and non stop high pitched fake excitement screaming voices telling me repeatedly what I can see.

At this time, I'll take FOX over NBC any day of the week for calling Nascar races via TV. Are they the end all of broadcasters? Better than most for sure.

Heck if they had a way to synchronize the MRN broadcast with the Fox or NBC TV broadcast, all them boys in the booths would be looking for jobs.:booya:
Eh, it works for me to listen to MRN instead of the gerbils. I am interested in who or what they are going to do after Jr blew out of the funny farm. With as many Jr fans as there are, I would guess many will think NBC went to crap.

Fox's booth is better. NBC's presentation is exponentially better.

I wish we could get NBC every race with Mike Joy, Kevin Harvick and Steve Letarte.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the new partners bring. Prime does a fantastic job with Thursday Night Football, but to my knowledge, those are also NBC Sports productions. TNT, I'm not as optimistic about. With the exception of Wally Dallenbach and Kyle Petty's blunt, NFG commentary, those broadcasts were the drizzly ****s.

Eh, it works for me to listen to MRN instead of the gerbils. I am interested in who or what they are going to do after Jr blew out of the funny farm. With as many Jr fans as there are, I would guess many will think NBC went to crap.

I DVR all races so that want work for me, wish it did though.

If they start using all streaming services I will miss 99% of all the races, just have to you tube the next day for the highlights.

Haven't figured out how to DVR a streaming event yet.

I DVR all races so that want work for me, wish it did though.

If they start using all streaming services I will miss 99% of all the races, just have to you tube the next day for the highlights.

Haven't figured out how to DVR a streaming event yet.

Only five races are streaming only under the new deal. And almost everyone has Prime already anyway.

Most of the races will be on cable only which is honestly worse.

I encourage you to look at this thread. Coverage of NASCAR has never been this bad.

Reactions: sdj
Back
Top Bottom