The Announcers Thread

aroundgoes

Team Owner
Looking through threads, seems like there is a lot of posts about announcers so why not just keep it in one thread?

I prefer FOX over NBC, though that's not saying much.

On the Fox side; Mike Joy seems to have given up, D.W. is a character mostly created by FOX, and Jeff Gordon sounds like he has no confidence at times. Larry Mcreynolds pretty decent and is always good for some laughs when he gets excited and his voice rises about 20 decibels. The pit road reporters are decent, but I could do with out Chris Meyers and Michael Waltrip

NBC? Well as you can see by my name, Rick Allen is basically a joke. The guy dramatizes EVERYTHING. "SIDE BY SIDE FOR 15TH PLACE!!!!" He acts like it's the last lap for the Daytona 500. Steve Letarte is really just clueless and tries to build up the importance of every race and Jeff burton thinks you have to shout to get your point across

At Indy last week, I think it was Jeff Burton who said along the lines "I want the bottom line, to me that's the one that's gonna work, but the top line could work to so maybe that one should be picked"

What's the point of even talking if you are going to say something stupid like that? I feel like announcers now feel like they constantly have to talk. They dont let the racing speak for itself.

Go back to old ESPN broadcast with Bob, Benny and Ned and sometimes they'd go 2-3 minutes with no talking. They knew how to call a race

The centralized announcer bash thread. Long overdue. Great idea!

Personally, I don't really have a problem with any of these guys. They've got a dream job. One that is certainly thankless and open to constant/undying criticism.

My only preference for change would be to see Ol' DW move on to a new role with FOX. I think he's past his prime in the booth. Interviews/pre-recorded segments with drivers or teams away from the track. I think that'd be a great place for him.

You should add mrn's cut away from the race after 5 to ten laps, and start yapping about literally everything other than what is happening on the track. For nearly a half hour.

But I agree the new style of sport telecasting, with the non stop flow of pointless, meaningless, stupid information coming from the commentators mouth is enough for me to give up on televised sports entirely. These talking heads are making their job way more complicated than it needs to be. The rules for covering sports should be, never more than two in a booth, never allow the color and play by play guys to converse, play by play guy only relays the basic facts of a play, the color commentator only speaks about what happened during a play, and act appropriately for the actual event that is taking place. The medical staff should not have to be called in because the play by play guy spazzes out over a pass on lap 40, or a touch down in the first quarter.

I'm tired of Burton and his "racing incidents". If he was calling the race when Kenneth took out jlo a couple of years ago he'd said he got a speck in his eye and it was just another racing incident. :rolleyes:

I think one of the reasons we all have issue with the guys calling the races is that we, for the most part here on this forum, are up to speed on Nascar goings on and just get tired of hearing the obvious and known information over and over from these guys. The false excitement thing is very annoying as well.

It was not that long ago that it was hard to find out much of anything going on except for race day. Now we are bombarded with too much information all the time via (2) One hour daily programs, one on NBCSN and one on FS1 plus XM/SirriusNascar radio, plus all the different real time social media available at a moments notice.
When there was a bit of mystery about what was going on, we couldn't wait till race day to find out things. Now a crew member can pass gas at 10:01 am and it is common knowledge everywhere by 10:03 AM.

I had forgotten how Jeff Burton can talk on and on about nothing in particular and contradict himself in the same sentence.o_O

But, none of this is going to keep me from enjoying this racing series. As long as 36 to 40 bad ass hot rods show up each week, I'll be watching. :punkrocke :D

The NBC bunch needs to go. Even scarier is when young Klingerman has his shot to hog the mic and he out talks all three of them.

Picture says it all

upload_2017-7-28_12-41-12.jpeg

I like Fox alot more than NBC. Unlike alot I think DW is great for TV and Fox's family friendly style of a broadcast. Mike Joy is the best announcer in NASCAR in my opinion. Now I'm not the biggest fan of Gordon in the booth and would rather have Larry Mac back up there. Mikey isn't bad either although he can be stupid at times.

Where Fox is about family friendly fun i feel NBC presents itself more professional. Only like Rick Allen in their booth. He's got a genuine broadcast voice and brings excitement to calling a race. Burton and Letarte I don't like though. Seems like Letarte questions to many crew chief decision s like he could do it better and his voice is awful. Burton just sounds like a downer all the time. Looking forward to Jr. going the booth though. Wood is pretty much their Mikey only smarter and a fan himself so he does better than Mikey in that aspect I think.

I think one of the reasons we all have issue with the guys calling the races is that we, for the most part here on this forum, are up to speed on Nascar goings on and just get tired of hearing the obvious and known information over and over from these guys. The false excitement thing is very annoying as well.

It was not that long ago that it was hard to find out much of anything going on except for race day. Now we are bombarded with too much information all the time via (2) One hour daily programs, one on NBCSN and one on FS1 plus XM/SirriusNascar radio, plus all the different real time social media available at a moments notice.
When there was a bit of mystery about what was going on, we couldn't wait till race day to find out things. Now a crew member can pass gas at 10:01 am and it is common knowledge everywhere by 10:03 AM.

I had forgotten how Jeff Burton can talk on and on about nothing in particular and contradict himself in the same sentence.o_O

But, none of this is going to keep me from enjoying this racing series. As long as 36 to 40 bad ass hot rods show up each week, I'll be watching. :punkrocke :D

Turn off the sound and pass the popcorn.:D:D

Turn off the sound and pass the popcorn.:D:D
I do, sound way down, staring at the leader board and watching the tube. Can't swallow Letard's and Jabba's nonsense, they need to watch the race, call out the cars, stay on topic, and out of the fantasy Nascar down memory lane .

I can't wait until Harvick starts calling races, probably for Fox now that Dale Jr. is with NBC. He has been good everytime I have heard him and did an excellent job on the truck race at Eldora. He used his limited experience in a dirt late model at Eldora to accurately explain some changes in the track and notice some subtle things throughout the race.

I can't wait until Harvick starts calling races, probably for Fox now that Dale Jr. is with NBC. He has been good everytime I have heard him and did an excellent job on the truck race at Eldora. He used his limited experience in a dirt late model at Eldora to accurately explain some changes in the track and notice some subtle things throughout the race.
Yeah I wonder if he is the designated fill in like some are saying, if they will use him more in Xfinity or maybe the truck races in the coming future.

Doesn't NBC have Leigh Diffey calling a couple Cup races this year?

I like Rick Allen, but if Allen Bestwick is available, I'd love to see NBC pick him up. Or Ralph Sheheen -- those TNT broadcasts with Ralph Sheheen, Wally Dallenbach and Kyle Petty were gold.
He could be at the standalone Iowa race this weekend?

What did everyone think about the booth experiment NBC did for the Cup race? I was wondering how they could bring in Dale Jr and keep the others. I think we have our answer.

i liked Wally, Ralph and Kyle together. Saturday Kyle was at Iowa and seemed like he was in a race with his microphone. Way over board. NBC is bad in every department, ( i liked Burton as a racer by not as an announcer) If you have to have a Burton, make it Ward Burton, slow talker, southern draw, fun to hear him in an interview. Fox is better, MW in the booth at the truck races is annoying, limit his time in front of the mike and it would be better. DW? Im neutral on, he used to be much better than the last few years. Mike Joy is very good. Gordon started out great, not sure whats happening there. he's still ok. though. Allen sounds like the Packers just tied the game in the 4th with 2 minutes left, excitement level where it isnt needed. I dont ever need to hear "green flag back in the air" again. Leotard thinks speed talking is the race, slow down dude, the race is 3 hours long!

I had a headache after Pocono. They took a race that is hard to follow in the first place and tried to turn it into their own fairy tale. They didn't know who stayed out or who pitted, who lost spots pitting unless it was an all skate caution, too busy talking to care. Showing tweets while the race is going on? Standing in front of a board while they are racing and talking strategy? que the duck, or the monkey, whatever.

It just goes to show how out of touch Television is with the fans. Those dumb asses haven't clued into the fact that people actually want to watch the race. The more gimmicks they spend money on the less people will watch.

It just goes to show how out of touch Television is with the fans. Those dumb asses haven't clued into the fact that people actually want to watch the race. The more gimmicks they spend money on the less people will watch.
I found myself trying to look around their damn strategy board to see the race, had to slap myself

Watching the Pocono race from yesterday, hate to say it but I think Rick Allen is awful. I don't remember him being this bad when he did Trucks. Seems like all NBC focused on this race is the 42, 78, 18 . About to make it just past stage 1 hope broadcast improves.

About to make it just past stage 1 hope broadcast improves.
Broadcast can't improve until they put someone in charge that understand racing and race fans.
Every network is currently working on their own game show and none can see that the game is racing. They consider it their moral right to educate the stupid people that tune into see a race.
The people that understand this have already stopped watching or going to races.

Broadcast can't improve until they put someone in charge that understand racing and race fans.
Every network is currently working on their own game show and none can see that the game is racing. They consider it their moral right to educate the stupid people that tune into see a race.
The people that understand this have already stopped watching or going to races.
They just had a graphic on that showed what it means to pit in front of the leader instead of showing us the action. It's like seriously a race fan wouldn't know that?!

Educating stupid race fans leads to people like hipster Rutledge Wood having a job on NBC Broadcasts

They just had a graphic on that showed what it means to pit in front of the leader instead of showing us the action. It's like seriously a race fan wouldn't know that?!
I loved that thing, I was wondering if they had Rutledge behind it moving the cars.

I do, sound way down, staring at the leader board and watching the tube. Can't swallow Letard's and Jabba's nonsense, they need to watch the race, call out the cars, stay on topic, and out of the fantasy Nascar down memory lane .

Right with you. RaceView + Scanner.

Back
Top Bottom