The Case for NASCAR Returning to Bowman Gray Stadium: The 2012 Hall of Fame 150

sky

Zombie Zoom LLC

Shout out

S1apSh0es

Published on Jun 30, 2019

I know it's impractical and the purists will hate it but it's time... also this publisher makes some amazing content!

Make this the bud shootout or the all star race. Would be hard to justify having a points paying race there due to pit road.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How many pit stalls are there at this tiny little snot-bowl?

I was thinking if NASCAR changes up the schedule in 2021, they should really consider a race on this day... the Weds After the MLB All Star Game because there is NOTHING on tonight. a midweek prime time race at Bowman Gray that would be pretty awesome. I hope the powers that be have the innovation, cajones and vision to consider something like this. If not at Bowman Gray maybe another short track somewhere. I think NASCAR could take over this day and make it their own.

Eldora before Bowman Grey though. You want madness? .5 mile high banked dirt track for 250 laps would be nuts

I would love to see Nascar running more short tracks in any of the top three series.
But it would have to be at least a half mile to accommodate enough pit stalls. And it would have to be well designed or fully optimized due to the limited area.

There are a lot good tracks that could make it happen, but Bowman Gray ain't one of them.

Hickory would be great alternative it is only 0.363 miles and has some room for racing, but it probably maxes out at 30 pit stalls.

Saw this vid the other night. Dude made it sound intriguing..

Reactions: sky
There is enough room behind the Field house to fit 5-6 classes of 20 or so car fields.
Even 300 laps is only 75 miles. No need to refuel, say you get one new set of tires before the last stage. No pitting under green unless there's a problem, no tire changes unless you have a flat.
Countless late model and K&N races already run like that.

I wouldn't mind Trucks or Xfinity there. Very close to home & it's a short track.

For the record...Islip Speedway is the smallest track NASCAR has ever run at...a meager 1/5th mile...and 33 cars started there in 1971. They made it work there :idunno:

One of my local tracks is a 1/5th of a mile (they claim it's a quarter, I've measured it on Google Earth it's not even close). They started 26 dirt sportsman cars on it as an open "special" race (because the track is paved). It was one of the most insane things I've ever seen. Think Talledaga at 40mph. Cars everywhere.

I think NASCAR should run the All-Star Race at Bowman Gray Stadium. Seriously.

Embrace the madness. Embrace the history. Give everyone a show.
Great idea. It's a perfect track for one a one-off, non-points paying exhibition race among some of the best!

I'm not that enthused about it. Even with mod sized cars it is almost impossible to pass and most of the races I have watched are caution fests. I think many would be in for a disappointment. The clip above doesn't show the reality, I would watch some races from Fanschoice TV. I would rather see something on a bit larger track myself. There is a reason NASCAR cut out tracks smaller than a half a mile. Sure dipping down to a smaller track might create some interest, but I think interest would wane pretty quickly with a steady diet of it.

Would the Cup drivers racing at BG get out and fight it out after the race like the regulars who run there? Lol But I have to say I enjoyed watching them run there back in the early 60s.

zero and if they marked some off behind the feild house they would be out of sight to the fans and entry back to the track is in turn 4 with no apron or excelleration lane.

For the record...Islip Speedway is the smallest track NASCAR has ever run at...a meager 1/5th mile...and 33 cars started there in 1971. They made it work there :idunno:

One of my local tracks is a 1/5th of a mile (they claim it's a quarter, I've measured it on Google Earth it's not even close). They started 26 dirt sportsman cars on it as an open "special" race (because the track is paved). It was one of the most insane things I've ever seen. Think Talledaga at 40mph. Cars everywhere.
What track are you talking about? Bethel perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom