The difference between Mark martin and Dale Earnhardt

T

TN-Ward-Fan

Just got struck by a passing thought.

Did anyone else notice that amongst all our ramblings, worries, anxieties, and predictions concerning the 2002 Winston Cup Championship, not once did anyone have to worry about Mark "taking out" Tony to win it? Never a word about the chrome horn deciding the season long championship.

Kind of refreshing, at least to me.

Mark had his chance. Could have won it all with one well placed tap. He knows how, don't kid yourself. And therein lies the difference between he and Dale. Mark didn't do it.

He may not be able to look at that trophy in his living room, but he can look himself in the mirror with a clear conscience.

Another difference between Martin and Earnhardt.......Dale won the Winston Cup Championship. Seven times.

Maybe if Mark would get a little aggressive, he might win a little more. And I'm not saying bump other drvers out of the way. He never makes any "daring" moves and seems just as happy by making laps.

You know fergy, I was fine with feeling bad for what happened to Mark...but this whole "He is a Champion" thing is pissing me off.

He is not a champion. Saying he is, is disrespecting and devaluing those drivers that HAVE won it.

I can see where both parties are coming from.....some people say that Mark is a champion becasue of his attitude, his actions on the track, ect, ect.

But as you say, he didn't win the Winston Cup Championship.

Just depends on you opinion.

I actually like Martin, even though he drives a Ford and for Roush. I hope he does get a W.C. Championship before he retires.

I agree, but he isn't a Champion. He cheated.

I wonder if someone of these people would be saying the same things if it were someone like Jr or Gordon that this happened to. Somehow I doubt they would be so understanding.

what's the difference between mark and Dale?....ummm..by my calculations....7......

funny thing is you could make this comparison to several other Champions and say the same thing....yet for some, they just can't get over their hang up and dislike for the name Earnhardt.....and when I read stuff like this it just makes me :D because no matter how much the Earnhardt name is hated by some, they just keep on talkin bout it/him...:D

Hooty, the same can be said about those that love the name Earnhardt.

No matter what happens, some people do nothing but compare everyone to Dale. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard, "If Dale was still around...bla bla bla". Guess what? Dale's dead. It's over.

And who peed in your cheerios this morning?

We all know what are opinions are like.... Everyone has one.

I think Mark is a class act, yes he could be a little more aggressive. In my eyes he is a champion.

How can he be a champion if he never won a cup? He's a good driver yes...but not a champion.

Calling him a champion, or calling any driver a champion that isn't is nothing more than disrespect to those that have won it.

I might not have cheerios for awhile after that thought...lol

regarding Mark...class act..yep.....would he be a good champion....yep.....but a champion....nope(not yet anyways).....

Wow same show differant channel.:) But to answer the question at the start of this thread.They are both great drivers in there own rights.One was dirty,May God rest his soul, and one is clean,and still contending in championship racing.Thats the only differance,and without a doubt that played into the points awarded many times.:)

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
Never a word about the chrome horn deciding the season long championship.Kind of refreshing, at least to me.

TN, tsk, tsk! :) Now I ask you, wasn't it exciting to watch ole Ironhead coming up behind someone, always wondering what might happen? I know that excited me. If something did happen, I always got mad as hell, but it never failed to get my blood boiling. It also made for a great show when someone else did it to him. Dale was just more aggressive than others, and that might have been the biggest reason he won so often. Dale wanted to win more than just race. I think that MM wants to win, but his style shows me that he really loves to race. There are lots of drivers like that and there are a few like the late DE. The sport needs a villian, if I may call DE that, to add pizzazz and excitement. Without it, we would have a love fest at the track each Sunday. I love the aggressive driver, so why didn't I like DE? Cause he knocked out my Elliott.

Championships in NASCAR are won by accumulating the most points in a season. The guy with the most points is awarded the trophy. Second place gets the money but not the honors. Everyone likes Mark Martin (like everyone likes Ken Schrader, Kyle Petty, Dave Marcus and others), but they are not Champions in the Winston Cup. Very few "nice guys" finish first.........sad but true. Calling Mark Martin or any other driver a Champion just because you like them is not only disrespectful to any and all Champions, it is degrading to the person you speaking about. Calling Mark a "Champion in your eyes" is rather insulting to Mark.

And on the Earnhardt (I know why his name was used as a comparison) vs Mark note. Many think of Dale Sr as the dirtiest driver ever in NASCAR. I don't see it that way.....perhaps it's my definition of "dirty". Dirty implies that he cheated to get wins......I don't think he did such things. Now, think "roughest" (in place of "dirtiest") and I will have to agree with you.:D

And that's my take on both subjects.:)

The difference between Mark Martin and Dale Earnhardt is....

1. Somewhere between 6 and 8 inches I would think.:D

2. Mark's on the sunny side of the grass.

:ROFLMFAO:

Not sure if that's a comparison or a height difference!!:D

You have to be aggressive to get somewhere in racing. Look how long it took Benson to win a race. Sure he is nice, but that doesn't always cut it. Now maybe Earnhardt took it a little beyond aggressive racing but it seemed to work for him.

No doubt Mark is a great racer, but he has never finished first in the Winston Cup championship. He is a championship in whatever lower series he has won championships in, but he is not a Winston Cup champion.

Back
Top Bottom