the empty cup - 1992 retrospective (Davey Allison)

Lazyking

Over the Cassill we go
Anyone else watch this? Nice piece on Davey and his chase for the title. Davey is just a year before my time but i greatly admire his toughness.

I wish the piece was longer, maybe an hour.

I'm watching Davey's win at North Wilksboro right now.

i remember after a wreck davey saying he would never drive the 28 car as fast as it would go. i liked davey and robert yates was on top of motors then

Davey was my driver back then. I remember exactly where I was sitting when the news came on. :(
I saw it on the TV line up but I couldn't do it.

This 1992 race at North Wilksboro is pretty good.. Davey got spun by Kyle Petty and I'm sitting here wondering how Davey wins this lol

I love these cars.. Rusty and Dale can beat and bang..cars still going fast

Alan won the Cup that year at the final race. Elliott won but Alan finished second and got the 5 points for leading the most laps. Last owner/driver, I believe to win the Championship.
Davey and Alan died the same year. That was a crap year for NASCAR fans. I picked Rusty for my driver after Davey died.

Alan won the Cup that year at the final race. Elliott won but Alan finished second and got the 5 points for leading the most laps. Last owner/driver, I believe to win the Championship.
Davey and Alan died the same year. That was a crap year for NASCAR fans. I picked Rusty for my driver after Davey died.
I still have that race on a VHS tape. It's probably in a random bin somewhere.

And yeah, like I've said before, Alan and Davey were my two favorite drivers as a kid. When they both died in '93, I went with Mark Martin. I always liked Rusty too, especially once Penske switched from Pontiac to Ford.

I still have that race on a VHS tape. It's probably in a random bin somewhere.

And yeah, like I've said before, Alan and Davey were my two favorite drivers as a kid. When they both died in '93, I went with Mark Martin. I always liked Rusty too, especially once Penske switched from Pontiac to Ford.
1993 was a difficult year. I didn't watch the next few races after Davey died.

Just imagine if both had lived.. Such a shame. When watching the special tonight, I was thinking, A car can't kill Davey but a helicopter did..

Tony Stewart

I respect Alans accomplishment more. He virtually built his team from the lowest level up.

I went to many races that year. I saw Davey win the first Winston under the lights, I saw Davey win at Wilksboro, I saw the Atlanta finale and was sitting near the flag were Daveys car came to rest after being collected by Irvan.

Back to Alan. He bought Bill Terrys car and started running a cup team in the 80s. His first or year two he ran with only two engines. One for the race weekend while the other one was getting refreshed by Prototype engines. I cant remember if he had only one car or two cars in the stable, but it was an absolute humble beginning.

He lost Zerox anti freeze sponsorship and ran several races unlettered, and almost ceased to exsist. If Hooters hadnt stepped up the team would dissolved with just a few more unsponsored events.

Kulwicki was a great driver but he also was all business. He economized while winning the title, he only used a limited number of tires on race weekend. At the times teams weren't restricted, but Alan never had the resources that at the contemporary elites had. His budget.was lower.

He was really David against Goliath. Yates, Roush, Johnson, Hendrick, Childress, Sabates etc they all had bigger working budgets. He economized tires so well that Nascar eventually imposed some of his prerace tire management model on everyone to help to contain cost.

Stewarts 2011 title run was incredible. But Hass offered a sweet deal for Tony. He walked into the kind rescources that Alan never had, and he didnt have to start from scratch.

Yeah I agree about Alan, people have called him a genius when it comes to a race car.

I was the same way as many of you, mark, ernie, DJ,rusty, burton etc. Ford guys became my favs after their deaths. That race was the first I remember watching I was 6 at the time.

I respect Alans accomplishment more. He virtually built his team from the lowest level up.

I went to many races that year. I saw Davey win the first Winston under the lights, I saw Davey win at Wilksboro, I saw the Atlanta finale and was sitting near the flag were Daveys car came to rest after being collected by Irvan.

Back to Alan. He bought Bill Terrys car and started running a cup team in the 80s. His first or year two he ran with only two engines. One for the race weekend while the other one was getting refreshed by Prototype engines. I cant remember if he had only one car or two cars in the stable, but it was an absolute humble beginning.

He lost Zerox anti freeze sponsorship and ran several races unlettered, and almost ceased to exsist. If Hooters hadnt stepped up the team would dissolved with just a few more unsponsored events.

Kulwicki was a great driver but he also was all business. He economized while winning the title, he only used a limited number of tires on race weekend. At the times teams weren't restricted, but Alan never had the resources that at the contemporary elites had. His budget.was lower.

He was really David against Goliath. Yates, Roush, Johnson, Hendrick, Childress, Sabates etc they all had bigger working budgets. He economized tires so well that Nascar eventually imposed some of his prerace tire management model on everyone to help to contain cost.

Stewarts 2011 title run was incredible. But Hass offered a sweet deal for Tony. He walked into the kind rescources that Alan never had, and he didnt have to start from scratch.
Good stuff, man.

I was a rusty fan in the early years...liked Davey too. When Davey passed I remember thinking that why do so many stars die in planes, airplanes? SUCKS

It is funny, when Rusty was racing, I used to detest Big E because he was the man in the black hat, er car...he was Rusty's foil a lot of the times. After Rusty retired and Big E passed, I have really learned to enjoy his racing .. I wish that that kind of beat and bang racing was more what we saw with todays car.

I wish I could've grown up in the 80's and early 90's, the racing back then seemed awesome. Being born in 1990, the earliest racing I can remember is in the mid to late 90's when I would watch racing with my dad.

Davey Allison was a great driver imo and it was just a matter of time before he won a cup championship if he had lived. I loved watching him battle with Bill Elliott on the super speed ways back in the day. Those Yates Fords would haul ass. I remember like it was yesterday where I was at when I heard he passed.

I wish that that kind of beat and bang racing was more what we saw with todays car.
how can any real fan of nascar not feel that way. by the way i was a big rusty supporter, and i didn't hate earnhardt, just his fans, not all but most, and that still the case today with his and the jr fans. just in the racing aspect not in life.

It sucks that Davey's life was tragically cut short. I'm sure he would have eventually won the championship, probably more than once.

Watching that documentary brought back a lot of memories. Of all the seasons I've been watching NASCAR, the 1992 season was probably my favorite. There were great races and a great championship battle throughout, and it's the only time that six drivers have had a mathematical shot at the title going into the last race, no Chase gimmicks required.

That North Wilksboro race was really fun. Rusty probably would have won the race if not for Davey's great pit stop. The one rule I like about Nascar now is the Lucky dog. Back in the old days, drivers would fight to stay in front of the leaders and at certain tracks, it just killed any chance of a guy running his lane so that he could win.

Im....Im sorry Just watched that vid. I have something in my eye now. :(

I was a fan of Davey and Alan. Watching the program I didn't know how beat up Davey was from wrecks that year.

"Just imagine if both had lived.."
Some say that Earnhardt wouldn't be a 7-time champion.

"...about Alan, people have called him a genius when it comes to a race car."
He was the first driver / owner with a mechanical engineering degree - he truly understood how the car worked.

"I heard that many superteams of the times approached Alan with seat offers but he declined."
None of those teams were interested until after he started winning consistently. By the time he finally got a good offer (Junior Johnson) Alan already had built his own team to where he could compete against them, so he stuck with what he built.

"Just imagine if both had lived.."
Some say that Earnhardt wouldn't be a 7-time champion.
Yep. I was actually just getting ready to bring that up before I saw your post.

Obviously there is no way we can ever know whether or not that's true, but it's definitely a fair statement to make. It would certainly have been interesting to see who would have come out on top in the end and how those guys would all have done against Gordon. It's truly a shame that we never got to find out. :(

Yep. I was actually just getting ready to bring that up before I saw your post.

Obviously there is no way we can ever know whether or not that's true, but it's definitely a fair statement to make. It would certainly have been interesting to see who would have come out on top in the end and how those guys would all have done against Gordon. It's truly a shame that we never got to find out. :(

I agree. Now throw in Tim Richmond and I'd say Dale never gets to 7 Cups.

I'd have to agree about Atlanta, I liked it more in the old configuration. By the way, they changed it after the 1995 season, Sr won the last race on the old layout & the first race on the new layout. That's true about Junior & Alan, Johnson did try to hire Alan a couple times & Kulwicki denied. He needed to be in charge, wouldn't have it any other way & it worked. He is truly the last true owner driver to win the championship. I was rooting for Davey that day in Atlanta but when he was taken out by swervin Irvan, you couldn't help but root for Alan. Ironic that he would beat the man who tried to hire him, Junior probably had the foresight to have seen it comming...

Back
Top Bottom