The Food thread

That salsa isn’t the type that you’d eat with chips. It’s more of a topper for tacos, burritos, eggs, etc.
I even add it on top of a southwestern salad.
Saute some chicken thighs. Coarsely chop them, put them back in the skillet, and pour that over the meat. Serve with tortillas.

Prepared the marinade for tomorrow's turkey breast. 2 bottles hard apple cider, 1/4 cup kosher salt, heaping tablespoon each of thyme and sage, 3 bay leaves, couple dozen peppercorns, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, two or three splashes of Liquid Smoke. That will sit for a few hours in a 2-gallon Zip-Loc and then I'll slide the turkey hooter in before I go to bed.

Tomorrow I'll pack as much apple, carrot, and celery into the chest cavity as will fit (usually not much). I'll tie those in with twine so they stay put when I flip over. I'll use more carrots and celery to keep it upright in the roasting pan.

Holy smoke!! Two dozen peppercorns? Two bottles of hard cider? Guess the alcohol will burn/evaporate from the cider but all those peppercorns have my stomach registering in protest already.

But, it does sound good and I will send you my home address so you can send a medium sized sample of the finished product. :oops::idunno:

Hope you have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Holy smoke!! Two dozen peppercorns? Two bottles of hard cider? Guess the alcohol will burn/evaporate from the cider but all those peppercorns have my stomach registering in protest already.
Nah, that's just marinade. When the bird goes onto the roasting pan, all that gets poured down the sink. I'll line the pan with foil for easy clean up, and the drippings will be used for the gravy and Mom's stuffing. Sweet potatoes, new potatoes, beets, Darling Bride's sauteed carrots and green beans, and of course pumpkin pie.

If you get Red Mill Steel Cut oats, simply follow the directions on the bag and add the items listed. I dice the apples, add 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. If there is another spice that might give added flavor haven't found it but keep looking.
Nutmeg.

Accidentally stumbled upon this stuff. I do like to make my own gravy, usually flour based instead of cornstarch.
This is the best store bought gravy.
I’ve only tried the chicken but I think I’m going to try them all.
72265138670__C284A04A-812C-4922-AE47-93670F732726.jpeg

Over 7000 cattle lost, many survived but are burned so badly they'll have to be destroyed. According to Texas Agricultural Commissioner Sid Miller, "I don't think it'll have an overall price effect over the whole market in the United States," he said. "...Locally, it's quite devastating."

Miller estimates the losses will total in the area of 10,000 and some farmers won't sustain the loss. A lot of the the farmers also raise cotton and they've lost or had two bad years making the loss of cattle more difficult. It isn't just the loss of crops but fencing as well and the estimated cost to replace a mile of fencing is $10,000.00.

On another topic, a book by a Texan, Elmer Kelton, titled, The Time It Never Rained, takes place in the fifties and tells of the hardships of the livestock business and trials of a stubborn rancher who refuses government assistance.
It's a good solid read. Kelton has written numerous books on formation of Texas and its growth. All are interesting stories but the book mentioned is one of my all time favorites.

Back
Top Bottom