The Greatest Spectacle In Racing 2013 - General Discussion thread

Love the Indy 500.
Me, too. I've been at least one or two days in May every year since 1981, with only 3 exceptions. That includes the race a few times, but my favorite time to go is during practice the week before Pole Day. $5 to get in, the weather is almost always great, small crowds, and the action on the track and in the pits is intense as the top teams come up to speed, and the surprises emerge. What many race fans don't know is that a pit pass isn't needed to get right behind the pits, a narrow cart lane and chain link fence are all that separate you from the likes of Roger Penske, Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, and an endless stream of celebrities. I dearly miss the glory days of the early '90's, but it's still fun. Some of the improvements do actually make things better, but I'll never forgive Tony George and the board for getting rid of the Snake Pit.

Do you go, Kev? I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but I know you're close enough to Wauwautosa to go to The Mile. We're just west of Chicago (don't say FIB's, I'm originally from Dallas :), and about 3 1/2 hours from Speedway, Indiana. And Oshkosh, too. That's probably the best thing about living here.

Never been to the Indy 500, but I've been in Indianapolis for the NHRA US Nationals (held at the Raceway Park in Clermont), so I've taken the IMS speedway tour, ridden the tour bus on the track, seen the museum, etc. I'd love to go to the Indy 500 some day. It's an amazing event with so much history. I'll have to make plans to go in a few years here. Especially now that the Split is over.

Happy Month of May, Indianapolis 500 fans.

8697924117_03e2cba55e_o.jpg

The Indy 500 weekend is one of my favorites. I remember watching Monaco one year where the cars couldn't make that downhill, hairpin turn - I think the track got blocked at one point. (I'm not a fan of street courses).

Happy Month of May, Indianapolis 500 fans.

8697924117_03e2cba55e_o.jpg
That's weird, I was emptying some boxes in the garage yesterday and came across my ticket stubs from qualifying weekend that year (92). The race was unusual due to cold weather, polesitter Roberto Guerrero spun on the parade lap and hit the wall inside turn 2. The Andretti Curse hit Michael, who dominated until 10 laps from the end, setting up what was up until then the closest finish in 500 history.

I used to change my answering machine message to Little Al crying "...you just don't know what Indy means" every May. Either that or Jim Nabors singing "Back home again". I think it'll be Gomer again this year.

That's weird, I was emptying some boxes in the garage yesterday and came across my ticket stubs from qualifying weekend that year (92). The race was unusual due to cold weather, polesitter Roberto Guerrero spun on the parade lap and hit the wall inside turn 2. The Andretti Curse hit Michael, who dominated until 10 laps from the end, setting up what was up until then the closest finish in 500 history.

I used to change my answering machine message to Little Al crying "...you just don't know what Indy means" every May. Either that or Jim Nabors singing "Back home again". I think it'll be Gomer again this year.

Roberto Guerrero you say? Pole sitter? He didn't by chance set.... a new track record?

Anyway, yeah, lot of tears around that 1992 race. Obviously, Little Al was ecstatic but for years later, after Scott Goodyear became a broadcaster, it seemed like ABC would torture him during prerace by showing the finish then asking him about it and Goodyear would start crying.

They used to have a month long spectacle. I always thought is was a bit long and now I think the Indy activities seem too short. Bump day just doesn't have the drama when everyone makes the field.

I have never been abe to attend a 500, but the history is still a big deal to me. I have to work every other weekend, so I have already taken a vacation day to watch Monoco, Indy and the World 600 this year.

The first three images are of Eddie Sachs never saw him race but everybody seems to have loved him (note 2nd car is a model).
3689_124352870287.jpeg
s3.jpeg
1961_Eddie_Sachs_and_crew_car_12__612.jpeg
73swede2.jpeg

The last picture Swede Savage he lost his life in the 1973 race

I enjoyed watching Gordon Johncock race he won the ill fated 73 race and saw the horror, and then beat Mears in the 82 classic
5982503236_9418616c23_z.jpeg
2013-05-03-18-13-24-2070122682.jpeg

All these pics and not 1 woman in them.Is this really Greg??????????????????

They used to have a month long spectacle. I always thought is was a bit long and now I think the Indy activities seem too short. Bump day just doesn't have the drama when everyone makes the field.

Yeah, seemed like it used to be the whole month and now it's just like 2 and a half weeks.

Good stuff guys, getting in the mood now!

My first year at the track was '81, only missed pole day maybe once between then and "the split". And yes, Tom Carnegie bellowed "it's a new track record!" almost every year. It will probably never happen again.

Scott Goodyear's luck at Indy almost rivals the Andretti's. Don't remember the year, but he lost it once because he passed the pace car, I think while entering the pits or something weird? I always lusted after his wife though, that lucky canuck bastard :)

Check this out, Kurt Busch must aspire to be the new John Andretti. I like the thought of a great driver being so because he does lots of different things:
http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/indy/izod-indycar/kurt-busch-to-test-indycar-at-ims/

This post is full circle with a little imagination.

The first two photos is a Dan Gurney eagle that was driven by Johnny Rutherford.

The next set of pictures: Indianapolis introduces Tim Richmond to the world.
The last picture : Rutherford wins the 500, and gives "rookie of the race" Tim Richmond a ride back to the pits.
wz-20060524-foreag026pc-sm.jpeg
wz-20060524-foreag018al-sm.jpeg
gallery.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
5621833400_b4f7cddb02.jpeg
5621833920_1027781fd4.jpeg
5621835446_5fddd7a867.jpeg
5621247609_33b64a282d.jpeg
cheryl-cole-218x300.jpeg

My first year at the track was '81, only missed pole day maybe once between then and "the split". And yes, Tom Carnegie bellowed "it's a new track record!" almost every year. It will probably never happen again.

Certainly won't see a new track record any time soon. Every time Robin Miller asks the drivers about it, they say they want to go back to a turbo V8 with 900 hp, but I think the engine manufacturers and car owners are happy with the V6s.

Even if he had not won Danny Sullivan's 180' spin and save on one of the short chutes was incredible.
Danny Sullivan Indy 1985 Web.jpeg

Mario had to be in disbelief, Sullivan over drove the entrance, he probably thought he had the race in hand as Sullivan started sliding.....

One of my memories was Emmo spinning out Unser Jr and Jr giving two thumbs up to Emmo as the field drove by under yellow (Emmo won). I thought it was a class moment. I saw an interview with Jr. long after he retired commenting on the moment. He wasn't happy with Emmo and was going to do something different but changed his mind at the last second (realizing the moment would be recorded). The real story made more sense.

Even if he had not won Danny Sullivan's 180' spin and save on one of the short chutes was incredible. View attachment 7140.

Mario had to be in disbelief, Sullivan over drove the entrance, he probably thought he had the race in hand as Sullivan started sliding.....

Ah, the "Spin & Win", one of the most amazing moments in the history of motorsport. I don't think even Sullivan knows how he kept that car off the wall.

A great spectacle
ashley_judd_indy_500_see_thru_in_the_rain_may_27_2007f_DSJ9DKN.sized.jpeg
judd_2.jpeg
Ashley-Judd-015.jpeg
Ashley+Judd+Indy+500+See+Thru+In+The+Rain+May+27+2007b+Atrgmoc.jpeg

Dan Wheldon and the joy he had was something special, one the happiest winners ever....

images-1.jpeg
images-5.jpeg
images-4.jpeg
images-3.jpeg
images-2.jpeg

Roberto Guerrero you say? Pole sitter? He didn't by chance set.... a new track record?

Anyway, yeah, lot of tears around that 1992 race. Obviously, Little Al was ecstatic but for years later, after Scott Goodyear became a broadcaster, it seemed like ABC would torture him during prerace by showing the finish then asking him about it and Goodyear would start crying.

Guerrero you say, new track record you say, in a Buick even you say...OOOPS Crap spins out on the parade lap...:eek::oops: Man I just can't imagine what went through his mind.

Ok so when the new car was introduced we were promised there would be different body styles for car , what happened? Don't get me wrong I love Indy, has been my favorite race for most my 53 years, but it's so sterile now. Indy used to be about creativity and innovation, turbines, Smokey and his stock twin turbo Chevy, Penskey builds a race purpose pushrod engine and of course the Menard Buicks. These are but a few of the innovative ideas that have hit Indy, there are way to many to list here, now all the cars are identical and god help you if you mess with the bodies. A real shame. What Indy car needs to do is open up the rule books so teams can submit there own aero packages, different engines including diesels need to be allowed, can you imagine a twin turbo ecotech 4 banger running side by side with a Audi diesel? The engine combos would be endless. Come on Indy Car give us back the innovation and creativity that was once the Indy 500.

Me, too. I've been at least one or two days in May every year since 1981, with only 3 exceptions. That includes the race a few times, but my favorite time to go is during practice the week before Pole Day. $5 to get in, the weather is almost always great, small crowds, and the action on the track and in the pits is intense as the top teams come up to speed, and the surprises emerge. What many race fans don't know is that a pit pass isn't needed to get right behind the pits, a narrow cart lane and chain link fence are all that separate you from the likes of Roger Penske, Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, and an endless stream of celebrities. I dearly miss the glory days of the early '90's, but it's still fun. Some of the improvements do actually make things better, but I'll never forgive Tony George and the board for getting rid of the Snake Pit.

Do you go, Kev? I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but I know you're close enough to Wauwautosa to go to The Mile. We're just west of Chicago (don't say FIB's, I'm originally from Dallas :), and about 3 1/2 hours from Speedway, Indiana. And Oshkosh, too. That's probably the best thing about living here.
I was born, and lived the first 34 years of my life just outside of Indy, and I lived close to, and hung out with Indy car driver Gary Bentenhausen until I moved to California. The Indy 500 has always and will always be my favorite race. I agree with you about practice the week before pole day being a lot of fun. I drive the hauler for a drag racing team, and last year since we had a week off between our Atlanta and Topeka race and because it is only 200 miles out of the way I decided to drive to Indy and spend a week and hang out at practice for three days. Since Brownsburg is where most of the dragracing shops are a few other crew guys went with me and we all had a blast. We got to hang out at Penskes garage area and go back in the hauler and motor coach area and meet a lot of the owners and drivers. It was a weekend that I will never forget.

I remember that. I like Dario, but Ashley Judd seemed liked she loved to draw attention to herself. The running down pit lane in the rain in her lil sundress was the worst.

Personally if a woman is hot and especially wet, I will be a preying for their exhibitionism.
Good times imo

Personally if a woman is hot and especially wet, I will be a preying for their exhibitionism.
Good times imo
I have always thought she was really pretty and and good actress, and I like most of her movies.

I remember that. I like Dario, but Ashley Judd seemed liked she loved to draw attention to herself. The running down pit lane in the rain in her lil sundress was the worst.

well, we don't have to worry about that anymore, they are divorced. She will be back on the big screen soon. "Divergent"
Dario didn't last long in Nascar, I like him in Indy car, he seems like a good dude.

well, we don't have to worry about that anymore, they are divorced. She will be back on the big screen soon. "Divergent"
Dario didn't last long in Nascar, I like him in Indy car, he seems like a good dude.

I know, they don't have kids so I can say great news. I'm sure with all her movie money, they had an ironclad prenup and she didn't take any of his race car money.

Best of all, no more banal Wynonna Judd interviews during IndyCar races. :pbjtime:

Yeah that is the part I try to ignore about racing. They trot out the celebrities..they always say oh yeah I am a big fan. :) Watching them run laps live..

Don't expect to see a bump day again this year and possibly ever again. Both Chevy and Honda refused to sell engines to a couple teams this year because they were to scared they would miss the race. Also the consent amungst the garage now is why risk bumping full time drivers from the field and possibly forcing them to lose a sponsor and not be able to race the rest of the year. Seems like the bump day tradition is unfortinatly dying.

Don't expect to see a bump day again this year and possibly ever again. Both Chevy and Honda refused to sell engines to a couple teams this year because they were to scared they would miss the race. Also the consent amungst the garage now is why risk bumping full time drivers from the field and possibly forcing them to lose a sponsor and not be able to race the rest of the year. Seems like the bump day tradition is unfortinatly dying.

What crap. Another reason we need more engine manufacturers in IndyCar. Chevrolet and Honda are too comfortable with the status quo.

That's really disappointing. Too bad Lotus completely flamed out.

Don't worry guys, it's only Wednesday, and the 'Indy Only' teams haven't gotten sorted out yet. There'll be some manufactured drama on Sunday if Indycar can manage it among the also-rans. I was there the year Penske missed the show and went out buying rides from teams like Dale Coyne just to get Marlboro in the show. That'll never happen again.

What I fear will happen though, is that the fastest car on Saturday won't end up on the pole because of the 'fast six' bs. Conditions change from noon to 5:00pm, someday one of the cars that just makes the top group will beat the first car that went fastest. Knockout qualifying might be good for F1, but it does not belong at Indy.

Back
Top Bottom