The new Aero Package

Acs

Team Owner
So what did everyone think of the new aero rules packaged that debut? Thumbs up/down? Did it have as big an effect as you hoped? and what will we see tested this season for 2018? Where does NASCAR go from here?

IMO, this year's race wasn't as great an improvement as last years Atlanta was. That's concerning to me, because they took the same amount of downforce off this year as last year and additionally eliminated the rear skew and sideforce. Do you think that since the teams know the direction NASCAR is going they have planned ahead and already got back some of the missing downforce? I really don't know where NASCAR can go from here to further improve the racing in 2018, there's only so small you can make the spoiler/splitter.

The fastest car dominated the majority of the race. We'll have that in big time auto racing. The second fastest car won the race. We'll have that happen too when the fastest car eff's up their final pit stop.

It's so hard to tell what this aero package will bring. One thing's for sure, the age of that track and the lack of downforce sure had those drivers up on the wheel. That's a good thing IMO.

Two thumbs up. A lot of off-throttle time, and the ability to close up behind the leading car and run close behind him. Those attributes are crucial to good racing on fast intermediate tracks. The speed domination of the 4 was probably an anomaly, like the 78 at the World 600 last year. Stuff like that happens sometimes. It's not like the 78 was able to do that every week.

There's still a lot of side force. It has been reduced by the zero skew rule and the roof fin is tapered a bit, but there is still a lot there. That is the next step IMO. If Nascar reduces side force significantly, expect to see a lot more spinning cars. The side force acts like a safety net to catch the car as it begins to spin out.

The fastest car dominated the majority of the race. We'll have that in big time auto racing. The second fastest car won the race. We'll have that happen too when the fastest car eff's up their final pit stop.

It's so hard to tell what this aero package will bring. One thing's for sure, the age of that track and the lack of downforce sure had those drivers up on the wheel. That's a good thing IMO.

Delana said it was Austin's fault old Yap Yap didn't win.

So what did everyone think of the new aero rules packaged that debut? Thumbs up/down? Did it have as big an effect as you hoped? and what will we see tested this season for 2018? Where does NASCAR go from here?

IMO, this year's race wasn't as great an improvement as last years Atlanta was. That's concerning to me, because they took the same amount of downforce off this year as last year and additionally eliminated the rear skew and sideforce. Do you think that since the teams know the direction NASCAR is going they have planned ahead and already got back some of the missing downforce? I really don't know where NASCAR can go from here to further improve the racing in 2018, there's only so small you can make the spoiler/splitter.

I really enjoyed the 2016 Atlanta race as well as yesterday's event. I think the thing to remember is that whatever initiatives Nascar tries to mandate will always be overcome by smart men and women in a short amount of time. I suspect this year will be like last year where the first few races were pretty good but things will tail off in fairly short order. I hope I am dead wrong and in any case you can't really tell from one race.

One race is really early to say, but sunday was very good.
Very happy with things at this point.
Good to see tire management issues, and lots of off throttle time.

There's still a lot of side force. It has been reduced by the zero skew rule and the roof fin is tapered a bit, but there is still a lot there. That is the next step IMO. If Nascar reduces side force significantly, expect to see a lot more spinning cars. The side force acts like a safety net to catch the car as it begins to spin out.

At high race speeds, this is the danger zone for lift-off. They have to retain downforce sufficient to overcome lift generated by air under the cars when they're in yaw at 200 mph.

They're treading a fine line.

At high race speeds, this is the danger zone for lift-off. They have to retain downforce sufficient to overcome lift generated by air under the cars when they're in yaw at 200 mph.

they may go too far one way and then walk it back some--I hope no ones hurt

Cars have already gotten airborne even with higher downforce. Matt Kenseth at Dega and Austin Dillon at Daytona.

The cars seem to wiggle a bit more as they run single-file. I think the Atlanta surface had more to do with that than the new rules. Once they get to the smooth tracks with new asphalt I'm afraid it will be the same parade we've witnessed since 2015.

Back
Top Bottom