WFAA
Posted on February 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Updated today at 11:44 PM
Related:
Super perks for NFL owners
More stories about Super Bowl XLV
Gallery
See all 2 photos »

It will be weeks before we know whether Super Bowl XLV has been a good deal for North Texas.

But it's certainly a winner for the National Football League.

The 200-page contract between the NFL and the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee reveals all the freebies the league received for bringing its party here.

The contract's key phrase, repeated often, is "at no cost to the NFL." The list covers food, hotels, events, venues, tickets, and — most of all — control.

"It's a pretty stiff contract," acknowledged host committee chairman Bill Lively. "But we knew it going in."

The NFL gets total control of all the tickets for the Super Bowl, and it keeps 25 percent for itself.

The remaing 35 percent goes primarily to the two competing teams.

Each of the other NFL teams gets about 1 percent and the home team gets 5 percent.

While Jerry Jones may hold the keys to Cowboys Stadium, for the week before and after Super Bowl XLV, the NFL controls the dome — at no cost.

On game day, the league gets 30,000 parking spots outside; one end outside the stadium for its tailgate party; and 150 premium suites inside.

The NFL receives all of this tax-free, at a savings of at least $7 million, according to the contract. The tax bill goes to the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee.

But that's not all the NFL and related events are getting for nothing.

The NFL Experience pays no rent for its use of the Dallas Convention Center. The league keeps all income from tickets and food sold inside.

On Saturday night, the Taste of the NFL will pay just $1 in rent for the Fort Worth Convention Center.

A total of 74 venues across North Texas were offered to the NFL rent-free for various Super Bowl events.

The competing teams get 120 free hotel rooms, as well as practice facilities, weight rooms, locker rooms and coaches' offices.

Inside the game, the NFL determines the menu and takes part of the profit from all food sold.

Concessionaires are required to use NFL-branded products when possible. And there's a list of 92 products to which the league sells rights, including tomato sauce, milk, nasal strips, breath mints, tortilla chips, and — of course — beer.

The cost of putting this party on comes primarily from corporate sponsorships. The host committee has sold $26 million sponsorships to North Texas companies. It hopes that more North Texas Super Bowls and commerce will flow from this year's game.

The money bet, meanwhile, is with the NFL.

"They're very adept at making money from this sporting event," said sports economist Craig Depken of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. "It's arguably the biggest sporting event in the world."

I may not be a smart man, Jennay, but....

The NFL gets total control of all the tickets for the Super Bowl, and it keeps 25 percent for itself.

The remaing 35 percent goes primarily to the two competing teams.

doesn't that only add up to 60%?

I doubt the NFL's tale gating parties are going to be as big as they planned there's about 7 inches of snow on the ground here in Arlington. According to all the weather reporters it's supposed to be 38º now at 11:30 am it's 21º it hasn't gotten warmer than 25º all week under this snow is lots of ice. I also noticed they have changed the weather forecast for this weekend it was supposed to be in mid to high 50s now it's changed to the mid to low 40s. I think it would have to get in the 80s to melt this stuff off by Sunday.

Regarding the contract, is it any different from other major sports venues? Remember the stink over Homestead and taxes? Our gov. nearly broke his back bending over for Kraft when he threatened Mass with moving the Pats out of state. btw Mopar what did that cost the residents of Mass?

We're flat out broke yet we're giving Curt Schilling 70 some million in tax breaks to start his software company here, he promises to hire up to 30 locals.
G-Tech the company that makes lottery machines got 30 million in tax breaks a few years ago, got the breaks and never delivered what was promised,,oh well.

I'm tired of living in a van down by the river while those that can well afford it skate,,

Yes Buck et al, I have class envy....:)

Back
Top Bottom