The NHRA pulled a NASCAR

Monden said the rear tires on the dragster during the crash were Hoosier tires purchased late last season.

“We bought them (the tires on the dragster during the wreck), the same time that we bought (another) set of (Hoosier) tires that we just took off the car that had 27 passes on them,” Monden said. “They (the tires that were on the dragster during the wreck) had four passes on them before we put them back on the car at Englishtown.”
what does a set of tires cost mag?

Strange, normally when a item has a problem the manufacturer takes it back and replaces it at no charge. Especially safety items.

what does a set of tires cost mag?

The M/T 30761 (what we run): $326 each + shipping http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey+Thompson/672/30761/10002/-1

Most slicks 32-34" are similar, then they shoot up for the 36's because they require a different mold (the 32/33's are generally done in modular molds for the different widths, diameter isn't actually much bigger, just the circumference and sidewall).

Slick life depends on application- ours started falling off around 50 passes, we just swapped out @ 107 after they got too far gone. Billy changes his every 75-100, needed or not (he's slower but launches aimed at the moon).

The tire that is being recalled : 36.0/17.0-16 : http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/18900C2055/10002/-1

The article said they got 27 passes out of the previous set.

Strange, normally when a item has a problem the manufacturer takes it back and replaces it at no charge. Especially safety items.

The thing is, TA gets teched every race. The tires passed tech. The tires passed tech because NHRA didn't know otherwise.

There are no rules for running a tire that they shouldn't- the NHRA pulled a NASCAR and wrote a rule after the event, and applied it to said event.

If the tire passed tech, there shouldn't be anything to say otherwise.

TSB: http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/A_Fuel Dragster product bulletin Updated June 8, 2011.pdf

Product Bulletin
May 18, 2011
It is important to know that all Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for a specific purpose, fitment, and application and effective immediately Hoosier Racing Tires are not recommended or to be used on Nitro injected A/Fuel Dragsters, Pro Fuel Dragsters, Fuel Funny Cars, or Top Fuel Dragsters. We are developing tires for some of these applications and notice will be given when these tires are available for sale.
Never utilize a tire for a purpose it was not intended. Utilizing Hoosier Tires in any form outside of their intended use constitutes misuse of the product and can cause SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.
Updated June 8, 2011
Effective immediately, we are asking NHRA competitors in the Pro Mod, Top Alcohol Funny Car and Top Alcohol Dragster classes and IHRA competitors in the Pro Fuel Dragster classes, to suspend use of the below listed tires until further notice.
Catalog number: 18900 Size: 36.0 X 17.0 – 16 Construction Tag: C2055

If the tire passed tech, there shouldn't be anything to say otherwise.

are competitors required to run hoosiers like nascar runs goodyears? it doesn't appear hoosier has any approved tires for several classes in nhra.

are competitors required to run hoosiers like nascar runs goodyears? it doesn't appear hoosier has any approved tires for several classes in nhra.
In the pro classes, GY is req'd. In the sportsmans, it whatever you wanna run.

A set of nitro tires are around $1,650.00 a set. We put 1 to 10 runs on them. The severity of chunking depends on how much "vht" is sprayed on the last 320' of the track and what the track temp is. Goodyear does not buy our tires back when they come out with a new tire. After Darrel Russel was killed and goodyear banned that tire, we gave three brand new sets away to fans.

A set of nitro tires are around $1,650.00 a set. We put 1 to 10 runs on them. The severity of chunking depends on how much "vht" is sprayed on the last 320' of the track and what the track temp is. Goodyear does not buy our tires back when they come out with a new tire. After Darrel Russel was killed and goodyear banned that tire, we gave three brand new sets away to fans.
ND, what's your say on the suspensions? I say if they got through tech, then they should have been allowed to run. Granted, I usually find any way possible to default blame for almost anything to NHRA :p

That said, the choice hadn't been that smart. If I'm told not to use something, I probably won't. But if it passed tech, who is it to penalize me? The way I'm seeing this, the NHRA penciled in a rule about negligence, and applied it to the team.

Oh, and FWIW, we got 50 passes out of our old 30761's before they started going bad. The tires we're on now are experimental 30761's, straight from Jason. He changed the sidewall design, and we're one of the first NA or blower cars to be using it. He said it's hard to evaluate tires on turbo and nitrous cars because they bring in the power just after launch, while blower and NA cars kill the tire on the line.

ND, what's your say on the suspensions? I say if they got through tech, then they should have been allowed to run. Granted, I usually find any way possible to default blame for almost anything to NHRA :p

That said, the choice hadn't been that smart. If I'm told not to use something, I probably won't. But if it passed tech, who is it to penalize me? The way I'm seeing this, the NHRA penciled in a rule about negligence, and applied it to the team.

Oh, and FWIW, we got 50 passes out of our old 30761's before they started going bad. The tires we're on now are experimental 30761's, straight from Jason. He changed the sidewall design, and we're one of the first NA or blower cars to be using it. He said it's hard to evaluate tires on turbo and nitrous cars because they bring in the power just after launch, while blower and NA cars kill the tire on the line.
Any time I have a concern about our tires I have a rep from Goodyear come to our trailer and discuss the issue with me, and if they tell me that they would not recommend us running them , then I have them taken off the car and give them to a fan. But if they feel there is a major issue, then they will make you take it off the car. Until I get more info, I don,t understand why Hoosier had not contacted nhra if there was that serious of a concern about the tires. I would have to have more info before I decide if I think the penalty is fair. It sounds like your tires a working real good though. Good luck at your next race.:)

Any time I have a concern about our tires I have a rep from Goodyear come to our trailer and discuss the issue with me, and if they tell me that they would not recommend us running them , then I have them taken off the car and give them to a fan. But if they feel there is a major issue, then they will make you take it off the car. Until I get more info, I don,t understand why Hoosier had not contacted nhra if there was that serious of a concern about the tires. I would have to have more info before I decide if I think the penalty is fair. It sounds like your tires a working real good though. Good luck at your next race.:)
check my thread in chit-chat :)

Back
Top Bottom