The Points Leader

Zerkfitting

Team Owner
The points leader is a significant accomplishment at the end of the 26 race season. It seems to me that being the points leader should be worth something. I think the driver leading the points before the Chase should have the opportunity to race for the championship, the points leader should be in the final race.

The points leader is a significant accomplishment at the end of the 26 race season. It seems to me that being the points leader should be worth something. I think the driver leading the points before the Chase should have the opportunity to race for the championship, the points leader should be in the final race.
That reads like it would be a nine week vacation. That's as bad as getting a Chase Waiver for missing a portion of the season.

Maybe not an automatic entry into the final race, but I wouldn't have a problem with the points leader after the first 26 getting a first-round bye.

There should be a 36 race chase. Each driver is eligible.
Right. You can still emphasis wins without having eliminations. The wins Brad K has been piling up mean nothing if he wrecks at one of the first three chase races and doesn't qualify for the 2nd round. So all in actually they're not emphasing wins. I know they don't want a Kenseth situation ( where he was really consistent) they still have drivers that make the final four by riding around i.e Newman two years ago

Last edited:
Right. You can still emphasis wins without having eliminations. The wins Brad K has been piling up mean nothing if he wrecks at one of the first three chase races and doesn't qualify for the 2nd round. So all in actually they're not emphasing wins
Tony Stewart might disagree. Where would he be without that win?

Right. You can still emphasis wins without having eliminations. The wins Brad K has been piling up mean nothing if he wrecks at one of the first three chase races and doesn't qualify for the 2nd round. So all in actually they're not emphasing wins
The last two seasons Penske has had a 6 win driver not make it to the Championship Four. Could be setting up for that again.

That reads like it would be a nine week vacation. That's as bad as getting a Chase Waiver for missing a portion of the season.

Agreed, but I like the idea of the winner of the regular season in the final group of 4. I just don't know how to get around the 9 week vacation because that could also be an opportunity to "accidentally" wreck out the competition!

I will have to think about that one. Maybe get rid of the last elimination round and have 8 guys go for the championship over 4 races, rather than 4 guys at 1 race.

First round bye is the best solution to me. Letting them coast all the way to Homestead is too extreme in my view. BF wants NASCAR to be like other sports, and other sports reward regular season champions.

First round bye is the best solution to me. Letting them coast all the way to Homestead is too extreme in my view. BF wants NASCAR to be like other sports, and other sports reward regular season champions.
How are regular season champions in other sports rewarded beyond a trophy?

Boring. Championship is decided with a couple races to go historically.
That makes the great season finales that much more special. Now we know what to expect every year and I find that more boring than anything else.

First round bye, home field advantage
So someone with 1 win and the points lead after 26 gets a bye and the second place guy with 4 wins doesn't. No thanks.

Nobody in pro auto racing has a home field.

Well they award bonus points for every win, why not award bonus points for points position going into the chase.

But it's the same point dp was making, is I think what he's getting at. It ain't no difernt.

I don't agree with a bye for any of the rounds and I don't agree that anybody considers himself to be on vacation because he won a race. Any race.

Other pro sports all have 2 main leagues/divisions too and the regular season winner of each gets a bye and home field advantage. In the NFL multiple teams get a bye. So how about the top 4 in points at the end of the season get byes instead of just one? After that, the chase format ensures that at least one driver can run for points and get in to the next round, like Truex.

Other pro sports all have 2 main leagues/divisions too and the regular season winner of each gets a bye and home field advantage. In the NFL multiple teams get a bye. So how about the top 4 in points at the end of the season get byes instead of just one? After that, the chase format ensures that at least one driver can run for points and get in to the next round, like Truex.
Radical idea: Split the Cup Series into 4 divisions of 10 drivers. Each division is determined by the drivers' hometown region (south, east, west, north). Top 4 in each division make the Chase, with the leader in each division getting a first-round bye.

NASCAR always claims they want to put an emphasis on winning. A real simple and fair solution would be the driver with the most wins after 36 races would be the Champ! No Chase, no points for leading a lap or leading the most laps. Winning would mean everything (ties would be broken by averaging all 36 races) No exemptions or waivers.

Radical idea: Split the Cup Series into 4 divisions of 10 drivers. Each division is determined by the drivers' hometown region (south, east, west, north). Top 4 in each division make the Chase, with the leader in each division getting a first-round bye.

I think I've said before that this sport is going towards 10 major teams with 4 cars each. Once it gets there, you open up a bunch of possibilities with getting regionalism and rivalries into the sport like F1 and other stick and ball sports have.

I've heard that FRM and the 78 is well supported in the Denver area just because they are based there and not the CLT area. Is that a model that would work elsewhere if teams could be enticed to move their HQ outside of the CLT area? Despite the supplier and talent concentration in the Carolinas area I could think of one major bone NASCAR cilould throw to make it happen...

NASCAR always claims they want to put an emphasis on winning. A real simple and fair solution would be the driver with the most wins after 36 races would be the Champ! No Chase, no points for leading a lap or leading the most laps. Winning would mean everything (ties would be broken by averaging all 36 races) No exemptions or waivers.
Could we possibly get any farther away from racing ? Does any other form of racing only care about the single entrant who wins and discards every other competitor as useless twits ? Just watching the Tour De France last weekend and they actually cover the rest of the field. The overall winner may not have won a single leg , but wins on overall time . A totally amazing idea. What are they thinking?

I think I've said before that this sport is going towards 10 major teams with 4 cars each. Once it gets there, you open up a bunch of possibilities with getting regionalism and rivalries into the sport like F1 and other stick and ball sports have.

I've heard that FRM and the 78 is well supported in the Denver area just because they are based there and not the CLT area. Is that a model that would work elsewhere if teams could be enticed to move their HQ outside of the CLT area? Despite the supplier and talent concentration in the Carolinas area I could think of one major bone NASCAR cilould throw to make it happen...
Yeah ... let's take business away from the countless parts and service providers that are set up in Race City unless they want to open some unknown number of outlets elsewhere.

Take the team kids out of their schools and move them to Nebraska. What bones will we be throwing all these people?

I really don't care what you've said before. The practicalities of wishful thinking are too much for some people.

Exclusive, unlimited testing at one track per organization. NASCAR could make it happen tomorrow. Would that make teams move out of NC? I don't know. Would teams be willing bankrupt themselves bidding for the rights to test at CMS? I don't even think it would be a good idea, as with everything else I said in my post above. But sadly that's a direction I could see Brian going towards because he has shown time and again he loves all things stick and ball.

Last edited:
I'm not in favor of *anything* that encourages points racing under the ridiculously flat points scale that Nascar uses. Any knowledgeable observer knows how f**king hard it is win a Cup race, with a thousand ways to lose even if you are the best car on the day. The paltry points reward for accomplishing the win, compared to settling for a relatively easy top-5 or top-10 finish, is Nascar's greatest competitive sin, right up there with a fake debris caution in the final laps.

Back
Top Bottom