The VERY Best I Ever Saw

We had Fred DeSarro and Bugsy Stevens. Bugsy real name was Carl Steven Berghman. He raced under "bugsy" because he was in the Navy and racing wasn't authorized. Story is his CO looked the other way when he won his first championship and his photo was plastered on the front page of every newspaper here.

He and Fred were vicious competitors yet best of friends. Following Freds death in '78 Bug's really wasn't the same. They both drove Ol Blue, Len Boehlers #3 and Kozella's Woodchopper Special #15, one year they switched rides and the battle continued.

MagicMiler, Freds house was the first one on the right on rt 112 after it splits off Rt 2. Had more than a few beers in that little shack of a garage.:beerbang:

Think every track or area in the country has their own legends considered the "best".

I remember Buck Simmons best when he was driving his old red number 41 Camaro in the NDRA circuit late 70's and early 80's we had some great racing and great drivers at that time, Buck was one of the Best!
One time in a 100 lapper at Volusia County Speedway he had 3 flat RR tires ( most everyone was running the "Humper" tires at the time, they wear drag slicks with grooves cut in them and really really thin sidewalls FAST but did'nt last ) and even without a modern day NASCAR pit crew ( hell alot of use were still useing 4-way lug wrench's ) he still managed to finish Second to some guy named Moore :rolleyes:

I remember Buck Simmons best when he was driving his old red number 41 Camaro in the NDRA circuit late 70's and early 80's we had some great racing and great drivers at that time, Buck was one of the Best!
One time in a 100 lapper at Volusia County Speedway he had 3 flat RR tires ( most everyone was running the "Humper" tires at the time, they wear drag slicks with grooves cut in them and really really thin sidewalls FAST but did'nt last ) and even without a modern day NASCAR pit crew ( hell alot of use were still useing 4-way lug wrench's ) he still managed to finish Second to some guy named Moore :rolleyes:

Little story I was told about Buck
Season was closed in north and middle Ga but they were still running in south GA Buck loaded up and went south one Sat night lapped the entire field twice when Buck went to get his money there were a few people standing around none looking to happy { if u know what I Mean} the track owner handed him his money looked up at him and said DON'T COME BACK

Little story I was told about Buck
Season was closed in north and middle Ga but they were still running in south GA Buck loaded up and went south one Sat night lapped the entire field twice when Buck went to get his money there were a few people standing around none looking to happy { if u know what I Mean} the track owner handed him his money looked up at him and said DON'T COME BACK

Two awesome stories. I grew up in California, and even I know that Larry and Buck are (arguably) two of the best there ever were.

Back
Top Bottom