The Werewolf of Rushville

H

HardScrabble

Found the following "commentary" , for lack of a better term, whilst cruising the links over at Jayski's.

The Union Leader
New Hampshire Sunday News

Mark Labore

TONY TRIBULATIONS: How long before Tony Stewart’s sponsor, Home Depot starts to feel the repercussions of his off-track battles? Yesterday Stewart refused to sit with the media after the race. That is against NASCAR policy, which usually makes available the top three finishers in the post-race media center. All of Stewart’s comments about the race were from a written statement made available by Stewart’s publicist. His lack of accessibility mocks the fan-friendliness of NASCAR and proves that the sanctioning body itself is intimidated by the Rushville Rocket.

End of commentary by Mark.

Why does my mind call up visons of Lon Chaney Jr begging to be chained and locked away as the full moon approaches.

:) :(

But seriously, this writer, who may or may not have the faintest clue what goes on in the world of NASCAR, is far off base with this little ditty. For those who search following every race for the comments and quotes from the participants it is well known that Tony's comments are few, brief and often non-existent. Most times, as is the case here, the bulkof the comments available about the teams day come from Zippy and not Tony.

Secondly, Tony prefers most times not to meet with the media. This is not some latter day development arising from current events, to infer that is shows a magnificent lack of insight.

And thirdly, anyone who has the opportunity to meet or speak with Tony during the many opportunities he gives to fans comes away more than impressed with his desire to please and be with his fans. Htaer are constant and consistent reports of his spending hours beyond and above that which his obligations require to insure that every fan possible get their autograph or their picture.

Mr. Stewart has problems with emotional turmoil in post race situations, he knows it, his owner know it, his sponsor knows it and his fans know it. Thankfully he is seeking to overcome this obstacle and hopefully he will succeed for the betterment of himself and the sport. To point needlessly to some pathetically pointless issue such as in the above is IMO beating a long dead horse.

Now I have that Warren Zevon tune stuck in my head. But his hair WAS perfect...

Scrabble its to bad the media yanked the kick me sign off Harvicks back,and stuck it on Tony.Its like a bad cold,you cant cure it but It will go away when someone else lets there guard down to human emotions.;)

TWF, read the article early this morning and had the song come to me....

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor
Ah-oooh - Werewolves of London - ah-oooh

pb...dem near to the point of trying to start a fund drive to find a driver willing to be hired do somethng, anything to divert the media clowns from Tony.:(

Oh we got a whole new breed of Pugalist comming next spring Scrab man.Also Kurt,Jimmy could show there arse before the years over.Biffle could rub Harvicks dander backwards too.

fan friendly NASCAR........hmmmmmmmmmmm........is it fan friendly because it charges $125+ for a pit pass? Friendly no-greedy yes.

And since when did the media = fans. You know that the questions would have had more to do with the two "assault" charges than a great run for the Home Depot Pontiac.

I can imagine every question that would come Tony's way would have something to do with assualt charges and very little to do with racing.

I have a feeling that Tony will chuck NASCAR in the not too distant future --- and the racing will be poorer because of it. He brings fire to the track.

I agree 100% TRL.

It will be NASCARs loss but I would still be a fan. He drives his heart out every week in that car. He gives back to the fans tirelessly at scheduled meet and greets and after short track races.

He owns up to his mistakes and is seemingly trying to improve things.

I still admire Tony.

What a shame it will be if he wins the Championship, I am serious here too. If he can not deal with the media after a third place finish what the heck does it take for him to take off the boxing gloves. Ya think Nascar deserves a champion that has more bad days than good whether things are going his way or not? Yeah I guess they do, cuz they coddled him far too long and they might just get what they deserve for doing so.

I'm sorry but I am just fed up!

Kel

Kel- Man you have no clue!!! Coddled? You have to be freakin kidding, or you haven't followed NASCAR at all!

Hardscrable- thanks for the post, I couldn't agree more!

I wish I had the data base and memory of HS....I cannot point to any specific race or what perpetuated the event, but I have many pictures in my mind of drivers angry after a race where they finished in something other than first place.......often poorly and even wrecked. Reporters shove a mic and camera in their face and ask "how do you feel after such a poor finish?" or some such stupid question. Why does Cale Yaraughboro (spelling?) with his almost black face except for his eyes where his goggles fit come to mind? I have a picture in my mind of an intimidating look straight at the camera and a turn away and walk quickly to where ever he was headed. I have seen Bobby Alison do the same thing.......Davey his son, too but after a sarcastic remark. I'm sure most have seen Rusty Wallace when he's not happy. Richard Petty.........I think I saw him push the camera aside once. Kyle, ignoring the question and leaving. Of course Dale Earnhardt with his attitude after a race......I can see his hand covering the camera lens when asked a stupid question. Jimmy Spencer has done it often. There's a pattern here. A lot of drivers are rather rude, impolite or down right hostile to reporters immediately after a race where they did poorly. Why is Tony taking it on the chin now? Could it be the politically correct media and new fans? The crowd that wants a good hard run race, but damnit at the end lets all kiss and make up? There's a mentality invading this sport that thinks everyone should be nice and polite.....say "excuse me, but I need to get by you. Would you please let me pass?" And "Hey, great race you ran there Jeff. Glad you bumped me out of the way because I really was slowing you down......I deserved that tap coming out of turn 4." And to the media......"Yeah, I had a crappy day today......I just couldn't drive worth a damned. I got in everyones' way and really Rusty booting to the wall was the best thing that could have happened."

It seems that is what the media and (some) fans want now days. And when someone doesn't give it to them, they are "bad boys". But, if instead, the drivers demand to be left alone because they can't give the media and (some) fans what they want, they are "bad boys". There is just no winning anymore unless the driver has a rare capacity to bite really hard on their tongues and say the politically correct things......I can only think of a couple drivers that have that ability (I'm sure you can name at least one!). This sport is not a gentle sport like a nice liesurely game of golf or bowling........it's more akin to boxing! I say leave Tony alone........Harvick, Biffle, Jimmy (Spencer), Jr, Rusty and all the "bad boys" too.

Sorry for the long speech...... :)

DEW, people need to have that "bad guy". Just like there needs to be good guys and bad guys in the WWF.

It's not fun for these people unless they have a "favorite" and someone to boo.

It's no different then it was with Cale and the Allison's, no matter how long a new fan lies about how long they've been watching the sport.

If they get upset about angry drivers, the haven't been watching very long and it's painfully obvious. No matter what they want you to think.

I agree Paul.........but I just wonder why, if these people need the good guys and bad guys do I hear that Tony needs to get control of himself? He's as much in control of himself as any of the "bad boys" of old.........and the media and fans never said they needed to get control of themselves. It's a shame......hopefully about a quarter of these new fans will leave when something more in vogue comes along soon. Then we can get back to the racing I remember watching about 5 to 10 yrs ago.

DEW,
I don't think I could have stated it any better! I think you hit the nail on the head. I can remember numerous times when Dale Earnhardt didn't finish a race where he wanted (first place) and if he wrecked it was even worse, he would just scowl at a reporter and he'd turn tail and run the other direction. The reporter knew that Dale wasn't going to talk about the race, so why bother trying. I can also remember him pushing the camera aside and walking away, many times. He really didn't like to even talk on camera when he WON!. That was just his nature. I don't think that Tony Stewart's race attitude is very different from Dale Sr.'s. They both just wanted to drive cars and win races. The media MUST lay off Tony for some time before he will feel comfortable talking to ANY of them, especially until all of the recent CRAP (trying to be PC) gets settled. Preferably in Tony's favor.

Thanks for listening and letting me vent just a little.:eek:

DE Wrangler....I couldn't have said it better myself. Who the hell do these "fans" and "media" think they are anyway. Everyone has bad days. Everyone gets pissed from time to time. If you didn't you would not be human. The fate of the free world does not depend on mere race car drivers. This is a sport. These guys are real people, with real feelings and emotions. If Tony really knocked a woman down, I would be the first to condemn him.
I think that all of this PC bull should be put to rest. Everyone is out for the almighty dollar these days. If she can't stand the heat...get the hell out of the way. If Tony had "shoved" me...I would be grateful that he touched me.......I would probably swoon.

The biggest kick in the pants to Tony's detractors would be if he managed to win this Championship. If he can hold it together and not let this stuff get to him over the next 9 races, I think he could do it.

That was some punch he gave that EMT guy wasn't it?! Give me a break. I don't know why those EMT guys need to be putting their hands all over the drivers anyway. If they can walk on their own let 'em be.

On a sad side note to the previous reference to Warren Zevon...I came across this recently...

(Warren Zevon, best known for the hit song "Werewolves of London," has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. "I'm OK with it, but it'll be a drag if I don't make it 'till the next James Bond movie comes out," Zevon, 55, joked in a statement. Zevon is spending his remaining weeks with his two adult children, son Jordan and daughter Ariel.)

If that's what you call a punch, I could kick that EMT's ass, and I am female, 5'3" and weigh 122 lbs. I could take him down easy if that's what he calls a punch.

No, I don't call that a punch. I was being sarcastic. More like a swat. :D

Ok, and I have to admit, if I was an EMT (Gal!) I may be tempted to do some inappropriate touching on certain drivers! :D :D

Hey 9, I too was being sarcastic. I think this whole thing is being blown WAAAAAAAYYYY out of proportion. And all of the drivers seem to be behind Tony 100%. Did you see Inside Winston Cup this evening? Schrader, Benson, and Mikey are all backing Tony. I think they are sick of all of the PC Bull too.
I am glad that NASCAR is taking his side on this "non-issue".
That certainly is a change for the better. And yeah, there are some I would like to "manhandle" too...LOL

Originally posted by RoyalOrange
Hey 9,  I too was being sarcastic.   I think this whole thing is being blown WAAAAAAAYYYY out of proportion.  And all of the drivers seem to be behind Tony 100%.  Did you see Inside Winston Cup this evening?  Schrader, Benson, and Mikey are all backing Tony.  I think they are sick of all of the PC Bull too.
I am glad that NASCAR is taking his side on this "non-issue".
That certainly is a change for the better.  And yeah, there are some I would like to "manhandle" too...LOL

I believe NASCAR took the non-issue thing because that is what it was (or is depending on what you want to think). It's very simple what happened. Home Depot put it in the general public's mind with their public statement and fine......first time I've ever heard of such a thing from a sponsor. Now it's "news"..........and everyone is jumping on the wagon. Tony did this, Tony did that, Tony almost drove me off the freeway in 1985!! It's a shame.

If Tony so much flicks a bugger toward someone he is gonna have trouble don't ya know.:bs: :worm: :rolleyes:

I agree with what everyone said here. I do think if there was some inappropriate touching of drivers though it might be misconstrued as "groping". LOL

I say leave 'em alone and let 'em race. Lizzy & TRL, I'm with you--the questions after the race would've been something like "you had a good night tonight Tony, with all this controversy (naming both incidents) does this make it harder to concentrate on driving that car?" Something on that idea. I think if I wasn't a Tony fan, I would be by now.

Tony is "hot copy" and everybodies got to make a living somehow. Will start another thread to ask Paul something in a minute.

Back
Top Bottom