This Boggles My Mind

wolfcub

Team Owner
GEICO renews with Germain through 2014: It has been two years since Casey Mears took the wheel of the #13 GEICO/Germain Racing NASCAR Sprint Cup Series entry and rescued an otherwise struggling upstart team. Mears' vast experience coupled with team owner Bob Germain's unwavering commitment culminated in an effort that has made unprecedented progress and now, just 24-months later, finds itself running door-to-door with the elite teams in the nation's top auto racing series. GEICO, in the midst of their fifth year with the team, is as much a partner as a sponsor and has played an intricate role in the team's development and is updated weekly on the goings on in the Germain Racing shop. This week, GEICO announced they have officially extended their sponsorship of Germain Racing and driver Casey Mears through the end of the 2014 season, leaving the Gecko to co-pilot the #13 GEICO Ford Fusion for the next two seasons.(Player Management International)(9-13-2012)

So Geico and even Taco Bell who are large company's and clerly want to be part of NASCAR sponser low budget teams that do not get the exposure the larger teams get and they continue to do it. I totally get the fact that the $$ difference from sponsoring a Germaine versus JGR, RCR, etc. is huge but it still seems to me that these companies have the money to throw away and would opt to get more bang for their buck but yet they do not. Mind-Boggling!!!!

I've wondered the same thing but I think it just comes down to how their ad budgets are divided. They spend most of their money on TV ads but I'm glad they still throw a few million into NASCAR. They also back drivers that are low profile and tend to stay out of controversy.

Well if they didn't we'd have even more start and parks...so whats the issue? Plus they are probably happy with Mears he at least qualifies unlike when Papis was in the car.

Well if they didn't we'd have even more start and parks...so whats the issue? Plus they are probably happy with Mears he at least qualifies unlike when Papis was in the car.

No issue, just as I said it just seems these conglomerates have the money to spend and that they would look for a bigger return.

No issue, just as I said it just seems these conglomerates have the money to spend and that they would look for a bigger return.

It's probably strategy. Many companies come in small and test the results before stepping up their involvement.

The trend that concerns me is that more and more of The Big Teams are having problems finding that Big Dollar sponsor, have you noticed how many are currently looking or without? Look at some of the Big Name sponsors who are now part time or associate sponsors! It's a scary thing, I'm thinking it won't be long and we'll be back to just a few Fully Funded Big Buck Teams and a bunch of also rans :(

Support our NASCAR Sponsors!!! I do.

Against my Doctor's and my girlfriends orders I do sneak out and get me a Bean Burrito, Crispy Taco and a Mt Dew on a regular basis ;) Chicken Chulupas are pretty tasty too!

Keep that on the downlow if you don't mind.

What I don't get is where they say "running door to door with the elite teams".
The only time I see that car door to door, with the elite teams, is going 1 or more laps down.

The trend that concerns me is that more and more of The Big Teams are having problems finding that Big Dollar sponsor, have you noticed how many are currently looking or without? Look at some of the Big Name sponsors who are now part time or associate sponsors! It's a scary thing, I'm thinking it won't be long and we'll be back to just a few Fully Funded Big Buck Teams and a bunch of also rans :(
Excellent point, RCR cut back to 3 teams for that reason and look at Roush they are scrambling just to find enough money to run 3 teams.
This is most likley why JGR hasn't gone to a fourth team. Hendrick seems to have plenty of sponsors, then again Rick could sell ice cubes to Eskimos.

Excellent point, RCR cut back to 3 teams for that reason and look at Roush they are scrambling just to find enough money to run 3 teams.
This is most likley why JGR hasn't gone to a fourth team. Hendrick seems to have plenty of sponsors, then again Rick could sell ice cubes to Eskimos.

He sure can. He bribes them with free Honda's.

He could do well until I went in and sold them ice cube trays ;)

What a sponsor wants is a subjective, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A sponsor with substantial funds but still unable to fully sponsor a top team may prefer being the big fish with a small team as opposed to being just an associate for the other.

The small team might also give them visiting garage perks a better relationship between the two, those other things because a bigger teams calendar is already full.

Really there could be a million reasons that go on behind the scenes. It should boggle the mind, because we would have to be all knowing to answer those questions.

Beancounters rule the world, if through analysis with spreadsheets,charts and graphs they say ROI isn't viable with a full sponsorship of say 20 mil just for grins, but for 7 mil as a part-time sponsor we'll get 60% exposure saving 13 mil and gain X more market share for much less.

Mommas don't let yer sons grow up to be cowboys, steer them to be a beancounter:)

Mommas don't let yer sons grow up to be cowboys, steer them to be a beancounter:)
Not.You teach them to kick that steers ass.
15-1.jpg

I'm happy smaller teams can get sponsorship. It might help if TV would show some racing back in the pack when the front runners are just cruising.

My guess is those sponsors are only kicking in 3-4 million, a far cry from what Fedex and Lowe's spend per year. And they can get more bang for their buck by sponsoring a lower-tier Cup team than a mid-level NNS team.

What I don't get is where they say "running door to door with the elite teams".
The only time I see that car door to door, with the elite teams, is going 1 or more laps down.
When they say Door to Door, they are, in fact, talking about the Haulers running down the Interstate.

Thank you , thank you , thank you ..to companies like Geico who are willing to sponsor some of the smaller teams in Nascar racing . Hopefully ,with sponsorship, the teams can grow up to be competitive with the mega teams . It would be insane if all of the sponsors lined up to be on Jimmy Johnson's car and he could just keep putting his price up while everyone else went unsponsored . You know , back in the day, Nascar fans were known as ' the greatest fans in the world' and any sponsor got our undivided attention , no matter what car they were on . Todays fans don't give a rat's behind . That's why Johanna Long and Timmy Hill will never get sponsors.

I remember a story that appeared when Folgers dropped sponsorship of Martin in the #6 that their sales dropped.

I don't think the issue is with the Sponsors, but with the big teams. Look at 5 Hour Energy. They wanted to back Bowyer and I guess it wasn't enough to put their name on the side of a RCR car. However they did have enough to put their name on the side of a MWR car. Best move they made. Saved the money and got more exposure as MWR and Bowyer has had an awesome year. Where is RCR at? Struggling. I think it is time these teams looked at their operating practices.

Back
Top Bottom