this could have been bad

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Throttle hung and driver was knocked out on impact. NBot sure what held the car. Apparently it put holes in the track from the rims.

Thank goodness the car shut down on it's own, I know one of those safety guys would have had to go up to the back of it and shut the master off if it had'nt :eek:

Isn't monster trucks that they can shut off remotely in an accident? That have been helpful here.

Isn't monster trucks that they can shut off remotely in an accident? That have been helpful here.
I'll let Nitro Dude chime if he sees this, but I think there are too many variables where a black box/IIS can be abused and manipulated. The pro teams have the timers right now, and the new MSD Digital 7 has a time based shutdown- if the engine is above a certain RPM for so long, it will shut down completely, or go on a low RPM chip. Some people (and if we change delay boxes, we'll be going this route) use a wide-open-throttle switch with a timer in the delay box, so that after so many seconds, if it's still wide open, it cuts the engine off using a relay to the ignition box.

The nitro cars have a Leahy box that shuts the fuel, and ignition off, and acctivates the chutes, and fire bottles if the burst panels in the intake manifold blows. There is also a sensor just past the finish line that acctivates the chutes. Here is a video of Jeff Diehls crash at Las Vegas last year when he had a part of the body burst panel get in to the injector hat and hang the throttle open.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjr9IRckIHY

Dad's looking at getting a new delay box with 3 timers on it- one to shift, one for high speed leanout for the injection, and one for a timed WOT kill. We're probably going to skip out on bracket finals this year, since they're quarter mile. We'd be well down into the 8.70's @ 145+, and even shutting off at the 660 on the big tracks, we're clocked around 9.80 at the quarter timers, so we couldn't even run pro shutting off.

Yes monster trucks do have an electronic shut off that is remote controlled. It has also been discussed by Nhra.

Dad's looking at getting a new delay box with 3 timers on it- one to shift, one for high speed leanout for the injection, and one for a timed WOT kill. We're probably going to skip out on bracket finals this year, since they're quarter mile. We'd be well down into the 8.70's @ 145+, and even shutting off at the 660 on the big tracks, we're clocked around 9.80 at the quarter timers, so we couldn't even run pro shutting off.
That is a nice car. I hope that I can meet you guys at the Ennis race next year. We are going to run the full tour in 2012. So we will be there for sure.

Sorry I misspelled "activates" in post #6. I new something didn't look right.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom