Tim Richmond - 24 years ago today

I just started watching about the time he died. I hate that I didn't get to see him race. I think he would have been one of the best.

The only driver I ever saw that could "out Earnhardt" Earnhardt. Tim would go to the edge, and put 2 right side tires over it.

klemmabyna, I agree, we could use another.

Earnhardt still had the upper hand against Richmond. That may have changed over time but I guess we'll never know. Richmond was a great driver and it would have been a lot of fun to see how that match-up would have played out over the years.

I watched Tim throw a CART car around MIS and then blew it up. Twenty four years sure goes by pretty quick.

My favorite memory was at Greenville Pickens. Tim was there with Neil, Bobby, David, and few others doing a fundraiser for Butch Lindley after his awful wreck.

A stunt driver was there doing some really cool stuff. He invited the cup drivers a chance to wheel his specially prepared Trans Am
Tim nailed a lot of those moves like a professional. I guess you had to be there, it was just a spontaneous thing that was so unexpected, and fun.

One other thing Tim had to drive some crappy cup cars when he started. He was Hollywood and his family had money, but he worked his way up like the rest.

He had as much charisma as any driver I ever saw, I don't know how anyone could not like the guy.

I enjoyed the hell out of watching him mainly because you never had a clue what was going to happen next, not just on the race track but anywhere he happened to be.

My favorite memory was at Greenville Pickens. Tim was there with Neil, Bobby, David, and few others doing a fundraiser for Butch Lindley after his awful wreck.

A stunt driver was there doing some really cool stuff. He invited the cup drivers a chance to wheel his specially prepared Trans Am
Tim nailed a lot of those moves like a professional. I guess you had to be there, it was just a spontaneous thing that was so unexpected, and fun.

One other thing Tim had to drive some crappy cup cars when he started. He was Hollywood and his family had money, but he worked his way up like the rest.

He had as much charisma as any driver I ever saw, I don't know how anyone could not like the guy.

Hollywood???

Tim grew up in a small town in Ohio. His father did own a plant but they were no where near Hollywood.

I think he meant Hollywood in the personality sense.

That ESPN 30 for 30 doc was the first time I heard of Tim Richmond. Being a toddler when he raced and all. Fascinating guy. Probably would have been my driver if he hadn't past on.

I didn't even know nasar existed back then. I got interested a couple of years later and missed the whole show. He seemed like a fun guy. Some say he wrote the book on how drivers live at the track these days.

Richmond was a driving fool and I mean he could wheel a stock car as good if not better than anybody out there. Back then the racing was better anyway because of bias ply tires and so on and would slide around a lot. No telling what the guy would have done if he lived. He lived at WOT on and off the track for sure.

RIP Tim. Still bummed I never got to watch you shoe a car.

Richmond was a driving fool and I mean he could wheel a stock car as good if not better than anybody out there. Back then the racing was better anyway because of bias ply tires and so on and would slide around a lot. No telling what the guy would have done if he lived. He lived at WOT on and off the track for sure.
I miss those bias ply tires too, good times and memories.

Hollywood???

Tim grew up in a small town in Ohio. His father did own a plant but they were no where near Hollywood.

As noted by others it was in reference to his showmanship. My first memory is from his rookie year at the 1980 or 81 Indianapolis 500, and his charisma was one of the stories of the month.

Probably being 18 or 19 made me more impressionable, everything was bigger than life back in the day.....

Didn't know anything about Tim Richmond until watching this. Glad this wasn't posted in the checkered flag section where I would've never seen it.

He was definitely a legend to the sport. I can remember seeing him start on the pole at Darlington and jumped out to a big lead but exploded the engine in only a couple of laps. I think Harry was one one the best things that happened for him. Before then all he knew was wide open and he could wheel the car the better than anyone I've ever seen.

good stuff dp. brought back good memories of his drivin abilities.......

fer ya youngsters.....days of thunder.......cole trickle.....was based on tim.

I wasn't a diehard fan at the time of his death, so I wasn't really affected by it then but now all these years later especially after watching his 30 for 30, it really hits home. Even though my alltime favorite driver is Dale Sr, it would've been interesting to see how he would've fared against the Intimidator during his 90's title season's...

Tim Richmond was a much more flamboyant driver than Danica ever has been so far or ever will be & he wasn't accepted by everyone in NASCAR when he came into the sport. It took time for a lot of folks to get used to him & some never did. I truly don't think the France family ever thought much of him. Furthermore, Tim, once he was paired with the right team showed that he could flat out get it done gaining the respect of everyone including people who pretty much didn't care for him a whole lot. Now i'm not a DaniHater but I truly doubt she'll ever be able to drive a car the way Tim did & if by some miracle she lucks out & manages to win a race, or for that matter finish in the top 5 it'll be just that pure luck. Fact is, & she knows this, that all of her fame & fortune is because she's a young attractive female racing in a red blooded man's world & as long as she continue's to get out of her car with a smile on her face & thank GoDaddy for all their millions, she'll be able to keep her ride as an also-ran at Stewart-Haas. These actions, reminiscent of Anna Kournikova, do not merit much respect & appreciation of diehard racefans, maybe newbies who don't know any better but that's it.

Maybe on here but everybody I know loves her and check out her souvenir trailers sometime, busy busy.
You mean the boundaries of this NASCAR world don't end with this forum? I thought that the general consensus on here was the view of all NASCAR fans? Now, I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Richmond enters NASCAR from open wheel racing & crashes a lot in his early season. Everyone loves him.

Patrick enters NASCAR from open wheel racing & crashes a lot in her early season. Everyone hates her.

What?
Richmond was not one of nascars robots and he could drive the wheels off a stock car. Ask Bill Elliott, Rusty Wallace, Dale Earnhardt, Geoff Bodine, Ricky Rudd and others. He cost them all wins and none of those guys were too shabby back in the day. Dancia is a T-shirt salesman for nascar and pretty much a figure head for the sport being a female. It will be a cold day in hell when Danica challenges anybody for a win in cup. Tim Richmond could make something out of nothing with the car. Danica cant.

Simply, there is no comparison.

Wow it got moved to "all things related to Danica". When in retrospect it involves Tim as much as it involves Danica. Are we gonna make a "all things Tim Richmond" too?

By moving only the post & not the replies to the most it makes the thread have an awkward subject change & the forum itself becomes disorganized. Yay

RIP Tim Richmond - died 24 years ago today. Who? Watch this.....

I thought some on here may not even know who this guy was or what they missed. I figured better here than the Checkered Flag section so it might be seen today.

Extra special thanks for posting this DPK!! I recall Richmond and his ability to drive the wheels off a race car quite well. His departure from racing was a loss to NASCAR fans and adding to the sadness was how he died and the way people treated his memory until many years later. Richmond is now listed as one of the fifty best drivers in NASCAR. Those who never had an opportunity to see him race missed something special. He was the only one who could push Earnhardt to the limit and then go beyond. Tim had a special talent when it came to Pocono. No one could wheel a car around that place like he could.

Unfortunately I never got to see Tim race live, because I was only a year old when Tim won his last race. I became a huge racing fan as I grew up in the 90s and all I knew about Richmond was from little tidbits here and there in Nascar history books. You rarely, if ever, heard his name brought up. It's a shame he wasn't recognized like he should have been, but as I got older and learned more about him, I became a huge fan. The 30 for 30 was a great piece, and David Poole wrote a decent (although somewhat brief) book about him that I suggest looking into. They have copies on Amazon for less than $5. There's some pretty cool highlights of his career on YouTube as well.

It's extremely unfortunate that he passed away so young, and right in his prime racing days. There's no telling how successful he could have been. He was fun to watch on the track, and fun to follow off of it. Despite his rock star reputation, everyone who knew him says he had a heart of gold. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom